Eastleigh Parkrun
Hour on the bike PM
Why: training for the next event
Last hard: Thursday
Last rest: 8 days
Lyrics: Yeah Yeah

Comments

• Morning

It was the day before Comrades, Good luck to Trinirunner, Slow Duck and Sportaloo all sometime posters on here

What: 12.5 miles in the heat d& d, it was 31C at 0530 this morning, I was roasting by 0730 when we finished

Why: No idea seemed like a good idea

Last Hard: That was

Last rest: 8 days

TTFN
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

DD - indeed good luck to former DTT-ers. And also to Trinity, another sometime forumite and also a colleague who is doing it with his sister.  

Somewhat annoyed to wake up this morning at 6am. Unfortunately I'm someone who, once awake, can't go back to sleep except in exceptional circumstances.  So after lying there for a while with my mind racing about work I decided I should get up. I will shortly be going out to run. 

TT - that sounds like a horrible day.  Hope today is better.  Sorry to hear of parental troubles.  I can sympathise.  I have a strangely structured family and there can be tensions.  

NZC - I read about your family and feel envious that you all see to be so close. 

I will report back after my (no doubt painful) run.  

• Morning peeps.

What:7M Steady in the legs. Cool but dry morning up here.

Why: A bit of  a longer run this morning. Got to try and buid one longer run per week.

All the best to Comrades racers and former DTTers doing it. To any others racing over the weekend too,

Now its 'read back to catch up time' over brekkie.

Have a good one peeps.

• Morning again.

M: As much as I like football, surely common sense should have prevailed re his 800m Final ?! I am still annoyed/ amazed at him playing football in PE  for an hour or so on the morning of arace...

NZC: Pretty sure you'll bounce back.

• I slept in until after 0700hrs! Feel better for it though not great, wondering whether it would really matter if I didn't do a LSR today but as I've already downgraded it from a long brick I feel as if I ought. I think I'll take it very easy though and see how I go.

NZC - sounds as though the social side of running is good, I'm sure your mojo will return soon. Hope the x-country went well.

M - glad it wasn't your garden! How did the 5k go?

birkmyre - building up for anything in particular?

Gobi - hope the OW went well.

Hoofin - hope the shin scare comes to nothing.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMUH: Not sure to be honest.

Battling the bulge at the moment ! I honestly need to loose about 2 stones before  Icould get anywhere near doing myself justice. The 'weekly weigh in' focuses the mind though.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

hello again.

What: 6.5 miles  making a bit of an effort
    Why: I'm sick to death of slow running
    Last hard: the end of that, but in a good way
    Last rest: 6 April

I have a 5 mile race next saturday so figured I ought to see what kind of pace I can maintain these days.  Disappointing compared to pre fracture.  Perhaps if I lost the several pounds I put on during my holiday I might go a little faster! 

As well as Comrades tomorrow this weekend is the GUCR.  One of my clubmates is doing it.   Nutter!  Didn't a DTT-er win it some years ago? Can't recall his name.  Won it by a fair margin if I recall correctly. Edit:  and I remember he was fuelled by pot noodles!

Have a good saturday peeps. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning, and a very wet one...NZC it looks like cross country weather here! Just looked at the forecast and it says non-stop rain until midnight. And hardly desert temperatures DD...car says 8 degrees!

A bit of a pain...
    1. Don't mind running in the rain once I get going, but I'd rather have a bit of sun on my back.
    2. Am helping with the British Milers Club races which go on from 3.30 to 9.30 and don't fancy standing out in the rain for that long...not great for the racers either.
    3. Its good for the garden.

What: about 30 mins steady
    Why: ticking over

Lyrics: nope

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mava: I think it was Matt the Brum who wona few years back, he won the Ridgeway the year I did it as well beating me my a mere 8 hours!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    DD - yes that's the chap.   Wonder what he's up to these days. 
  • Oooooo..........there's a parkrun in Eastleigh now? That's getting closer to Bournemouth. I did Basingstoke a couple of timse but it's quite far away for 9am start.........Eastleigh is half the distance.

Is Eastleigh your new local then Gobi? Is it good - had a quick look at the course map it looks like 1-lap, pretty scenic?

Think I'll pop up there when I've done a few weeks running and feel more likely to run around 19 minutes or so.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Heavy day yesterday so just 2 recovery runs for me today.

Is anyone racing this weekend?
  • Not impressed with the weather here, either.  Wish it was next weekend, when I've signed up for a seminar after dithering whether I could face spending a summer weekend indoors

mava, DD, I occasionally bump into Matt the Brum at local XC races. He is still doing amazingly well mainly in off road ultras off very little running training, though I think he X-trains a lot. He has a young kid, so I guess chatting here is less of a priority, though you'll find his training and races on Fetch.

What: gym - 18mins on bike, 18mins on stepper, both using hill programm
    Why: went out for another test run yesterday and found I was still limping a bit

• Afternoon

What Headington Road Runners 5K TT
    Why  Rare day off on Saturday
    Lyrics No

With a day off coinciding with a time trial it had to be done. Went out a bit hard but managed to reign it in a bit before I made a fool of myself. Managed to hang on to third place all the way though the guy in front pulled steadily away from me after the first mile. Still very satisfied with the result as I haven't run a 5K before.

17'56" 3rd ot of about 15

• Well, walked the dog this morning and it was cold and wet, got back and it was raining harder, decided really didn't fancy the idea of a wet, cold LSR that I could do tomorrow when it's only forecast to be windy. Still wanted a good session to end the week though so did a 90/15/30/15 turbo/treadie brick - loved it. I get stronger as I go on, quite worried that the half IM will actually prove to be too short for me.

TmR - sorry to hear that you're still limping, is it improving?

Alehouse - I'm the same, don't mind if it starts raining once I'm out but stepping out of the door into it is difficult.

mava - do you normally run the whole of your run to HR? I always try to pick up the last mile to have a strong finish which means that I get that little bit more of an aerobic workout even in a Z2 run - might be worth a try?

• mavamava ✭✭✭

TmR - thanks for the update on Matt. I think I do recall him becoming a daddy.  I occasionally wander over to Fetch but haven't really been drawn in yet. 

LMH -if I hadn't had my little mishap on Stickless's run I'd be mixing it up a lot more in my runs now.  But I've lost such a lot of base endurance that I'm back to lots of low HR running to try to get that back.  HR isn't playing ball at the moment and is consistently 10 bpm above where I'd like it to be.  I'm not ill, I'm not over trained, and I'm not particularly tired.  I suspect it's just loss of fitness and gain of weight.  All that said though, I do get downhearted with the slow shuffle hence today's blast.  Back to slooooooow tomorrow! 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon...still very wet.

Just put on my thermals etc ready for BMC races...14 x 800s, 10 x 1500, 4 x 5000, a steeplechase and an hour of kids races...last 5000 is at 9.45! First race 4.30, officals' briefing 3.30!

Struggled on this morning's run with a calf niggle...felt better when I strode out a little. Ran in all my winter gear including hat and gloves. I think LMH may have been right when she said we've had summer.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Afternoon folks.

Got to the gym yesterday evening to find that despite being told it would be open at 6, it wasn't.......... Not impressed.

Cheers for all the comments and for sharing folks. We've unfortunately been there with parents before - Mrs TT's mother is a nightmare, and she has only recently reopened communications with her Dad (they lost contact after her parent's divorce). With my folks, things basically seem to boil down to that, in their book I am not allowed to have an opinion, but as I always do, we clash. That's fine, as I can take whatever is thrown at me, but when it affects the kids that's where I draw the line, and lately, it has. Had to tell Jr #1 that they wouldn't be coming to #2's christening (they'd previously planned to). He is quite upset about it as he had been very excited about them coming over.

Well done on the 5km Pammie. Nice workout as you said.

Positive M. Always nice to find out that a better run wasn't a one-off image

That's a long day alehouse. Fair play.

Nice one on the TT postie.

Despite the gym fiasco yesterday evening, I opted against going today in favour of a family day because of all the above, so rest again. There's always tomorrow.

Have a good day all and good luck to any racers.

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Afternoon everyone.

TT - Sounds like a tough period, hope things improve for you.

What:  16.7K in 90 mins, so just over 10 miles
    Why:  Working my way back
    Last hard:  Not this year
    Last rest:  Yesterday
    Lyrics:  No

Must get the Garmin back to miles, I really don't think well in Ks.

• 40 - good to see you again, I was wondering where you'd got to.

TT - that's a bit naughty about not making the christening, never mind letting Jnr 1 down.

postie - x-posted with you earlier - sounds like a good blast.

Alehouse - you're very good doing all the marshalling that you do.

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    FAO Sharkie: you're needed over on the sub-25 thread...
  • Hey there all.

Not getting in here that often at the moment .

Training still goin good. a good 2 hour run earlier and feeling good.

Hey TT - I have my eye on a 5 mile race over near your way on 11 June. The Carraig Hotel 5 mile. Do youknow anything about the course. I need a race soon and it fits the bill. Sorry to read about youre family woes. Try to get them sorted out though - the Karma can be bad. These things multiply if left to fester. Sorry also to hear that the Knee problems are still hanging around. This one is getting a bit silly now. September marathon must even be getting dodgy now if appointment isnt until July 19th!!.

Talk later

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Hi LMH
    I'm still around, getting a few miles in and gradually improving.  Things have been a bit busy lately, we're trying to move house and I've also been helping with a local race.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Paddy - Deadmans 5 I assume? I'll check with the bro, but if it's where I think I'd expect a few small-ish inclines and a few fast sections. I don't expect to do a mara (seriously) this year, never mind before the end of September.
  • Glad to hear your absence is due to mundane reasons 40!

Paddy - sounds as though you're going well. Are you liking the new job?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    OW went fine this morning with me swimming 4 laps and going faster than ever before.

Makes last week even more frustrating

The course for the ParkRun is 2 laps and I believe scenic. How would I know I just run round following arrows, that said it was Thomas day at the miniture steam railway so I had a look at the trains.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Gobi - glad the swimming was good - how was the coaching session did you get some good tips?

Good luck to the Comrades people!!

Postie Postie - well done, nice time and placing.

Little Miss Ultra Happy - when is your half IM event?

alehouse - you are a treasure!

Tipp Top - big hugs - my Mum always used to say, "let it all go over the top". In other words, "take it all with a pinch of salt". It just isn't worth it. In saying that, I have a girlfriend of Irish decent and she didn't get on with her mother either. Probably just too strong minded - neither of them would budge. I know your own family is the most important, and I feel so grateful to be a major part of my daughter's family. I came home from my race and my daughter said, the baby gdaughter had just said "grand dad". So you can imagine how happy he was!! It's not all sweetness and light, the 13 year old was getting a telling-off as they left;-)

What: 6 k cross country. Three laps - wished it was only one! Didn't go off like a lunatic, but had a pretty uneventful race. The lady I was only 9 secs behind in the last race, beat me easily this time. So 2nd in my age-group again, another $20 sports voucher and a bottle of wine, but will have to do a bit of faster work. I'm alright for about a mile, then want a breather. Think I might have to do some reps or something radical like thatimage

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NZC - reach, grab and pull. He said my arms just flop into the water.

Tried it and went nearly a minute faster over 400 metres
  • so coaches do, sometimes,  have their uses ! image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TMR - no one ever said coaches do not have their uses.
    I'm a coach