My Last Run

Comments

• Woodhall Spa 10K this morning. Was not expecting much as I raced Weds evening, but couldn't resist the sell on this one. Thunderstorm this morning, which cleared the air very nicely, and a little drizzle through the race kept it cool enough to feel pleasant. Flat as the proverbial, thought i'd just potter round, but realised a couple of miles in that the 'potter' was actually quite fast for me, so held on. Last klick was hard but I knew I was on for a PB so kept pushing right to the end and glad I did so, as that's over a minute off the old one! Unfortunately this will likely be my last fast run for a while as I'm due to give blood next week, and it always messes with my training. Still, finished this patch on a high. Next target Robin Hood half in September.

10K in 54.15image

• Well done Hanna on the PB image. I had considered entering Woodhall Spa but it was just a bit too far to travel. Runnaholic - I do enjoy running early morning and as you say it is cooler on warm days. I love how peaceful it is at 6.00 am without people and traffic about. I think I would hate running in the evening unless I could get onto country roads. I also feel fresher in the morning and think I run better. I got out around 7.30 Saturday and had a pleasant 5.7 miles in lovely conditions. I then went out this morning in the rain and completed 15.5 miles. I wore my rain jacket and new cap and they protected me really well from the rain. I had no problems either with the jacket making me too warm. This was my longest ever run and I achieved 50.5 miles this week which is also a new high. I will scale down to 30 miles this week before starting my marathon training the week after. 
  • Yesterday was a real toughie for me. I didn't take forumites' comments seriously about the Boxhill course (thought they were joking and scaremongers!image) and I went for my usual morning 10-mile plod before joining the pre race pre-amble in the afternoon. That was a big mistake! But Dr Rob did say he was going easy and slow - I knew about the steps, but - these are steps! 100s of them, and almost vertical up and down - totally killed my legs. Total distance 7.6miles, I think, including getting back to the carpark. (I didn't dare tell any of them I went for a run in the morning and still nursing a sprained ankle in case they thought I'm a corky sod!image) Anyway, lesson learned!

Today was more gentle on my mole hills (compared to Boxhill) - plodding along slowly, making 6 laps of 2.5miles. Legs felt OK, was expecting tightness from yesterday's jaunt.

• 4M Steady this mornng for me. Dull but warm weather. Well done Hanna.

• 6km in 35.20 trail running around Morkery Wood Nr Stretton, Rutland.  had massive "deadness" in both hipflexors, really feeling the climbs.  Plenty of wildlife and not a soul about at 0700.

up the andrew.image

• After last weeks crap Monday run I took a week off and feel much better for it.

Did 7KM this morning in 35min which I was more than happy with. It's so much less humid earlier I'm going to try to get up early and run rather than running in the evenings from now on.

However I did forget to have my breakfast when I got home and am now sat at my desk with a bottle of lucozade and a packet of hulahoops instead image
  • After a race I ALWAYS have hulahoop image
  • 5M Fartlek. Hard. Legs heavy already. Pushed it along, well, it seemed a good idea at the time...

As Capt Mainwairing would say: 'Stupid boy !'image

• Last night did 5.05 miles in about 43 mins (don't have a garmin...yet!).  Terrible finish as I was running up the path to get in and check the time and I fell image  Thankfully only seem to have superficial injuries (bruises, grazes, broken nails!!) as I would have not been happy if I'd ended up properly injured doing something so stupid!
  • waycatwaycat ✭✭✭

7.5 miles at 6.30am this morning in the pouring rain.

Brilliant!!!

• 10.25M  in light drizzle but the wheather is clearling here in Hampshire. Gentle plod in 1h31min.
  • 07/06/10 - 5.30m - 48'29
    Well after so long out and the gentle build up i have no idea where this run came from. After more or less milling round this route Saturday morning  to suddenly knock nearly two mimutes off is nothing short of magic.
    The first mile was a case of just moving along, the second along the A40 was again just automatic. Passing the junction chevrons without noticing them is always a good sign of focus. The thrid mile along Park Road did feel very easy and my pace was good. My ascent of Hilly Hill was brilliant, my heart was pumping and my legs were racing. The dreadful drizzle did nothing to dampen my mood only nmy clothes! My only fear was my iphone drowning, but it held out. Agood pointer was the lights at the BP garage were in my favour, the near side turning red as i approached the cycle lane which pushed me to sprint over before the traffic came round from t'other side.
    As I ran down Long Lane my turnover was really fluent and fast. Buyt the finish time was nothing short of briliant as far as I am concerned. This means that I am getting back to full fitness and so far my foot is painless.
    Im back!

Jog Watch - ONE / UNO/ EINS / UNE

• early run again this morning, nice drizzle to keep me cool which was nice. gentle potter after sunday's run so no hurry. hungry now!

4m in 38m

• Groin strain after football friday, really low, missed race on sunday ate crap all weekend. Monday evenin groin tight but no pain so thought give it a try. Took mobile phone so could ring home for a lift if it all went wrong. Started off gentle jogging, groin soon loosened and felt good, quickened pace, after 3 mile met friend, did 4 more mile chatting away then set off back home. Done 9 mile without problem but felt calves tightening so rang missis to pick me up....didnt want to push it and have more time off with injury. Feel good today, back eating sensibly and looking for a steady race for Sunday....mood so much better
  • 4.5M Easy Steady. My legswere/are heavy from yesterdays fartlek, Warm rain and windy. I saw a deer crossing local school running track when I was out too.
  • 2 runs to report.

Easy 10 miles on Sunday monring, trying to keep it slow. 1hr 27 mins. It was nice not to be worrying about the heat and thirst and beating the rowers along the river is always means for encouragement!

Tried to push it last night with 7 miles in 58 mins (8'17). Someone tried to chase me the whole way round, which stressed me out! Shattered now and have to get it together for a cross fit session tonight.

• 11km in 1 hour 5 min.

Quite hilly as ever but more I managed to run them more consistently than usual.

Got a bit lost and started to panic but only ended up with a "bonus" half kilometre to my name.
  • Another 4.5 miler, Steady run this morning. Felt ok, tomorrow is another fartlek session day though. Got to recover properly. At last, I'm putting into practice what I tell others to do running wise !

Nice sunny morning, bit windy, but warm wind !!

• Promenade 5k yesterday in Portsmouth. 5k in 20.12. Happy with that, making good progress at the moment
  • long run today as I'm giving blood this afternoon, so not likely to be up for a long run on Sunday! Two sides to today's run really, irritated by the fact my Garmin would not get satellite lock, hopefully due to the cloud cover, which meant it was nothing but an expensive stopwatch today, but then pleased as this made me focus more on my pace and holding it back in order to ensure I would finish the run! In fact it was nice and relaxed, was tired at the end of it, which is to be expected as it's the furthest I've run in a while, but didn't feel like I had to stop at any point. May aim to leave the Garmin at home more on the long runs, as turns out I hit the right pace without it, and it is more about the distance than speed with these runs. Here's hoping being drained of blood doesn't completely knacker my training now I've started to see some benefit from it. Damn my conscience!

9.4m in 1.30

• Same 5.05 miles tonight but slower at about 45-46 mins.  Not great, started with a stitch that I didn't ever get rid of properly for any length of time but I just plodded on and feel better for it.  At least I didn't fall this time - no space on my leg for more bruises!
  • 7 miles yesterday and 8 miles today. The weather has been  dull but perfect temperature for running. Today was hillier and a bit tougher. However I am feeling a dull pain from under my right foot which is a worry. Hoping it is not Plantar image. Running 10 miles tomorrow and then have the weekend off. So hoping the rest will see it pass. My 16 week marathon training starts on Monday or so I hope.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Went for a run on Weds. 6.5 miles, new route through Abbots wood, went for a walk with the other half on Sunday and thought that it would make a nice run and so it did. Used the same route today. that's 30 miles this week so far. Try and do a longer run tomorrow then rest on Sat.

Also went swimming yesterday and today, so far no big pain so fingers crossed that I can swim again. Boy was it hard, felt llike swimming through treacle. Still having to type left handed.

Agree about the weather johny fp... ditto the marathon training. Hoping the legs will start working again soon.

Hanna, great that your training is going well. Drink plenty over the next day or two and take some iron or eat iron rich foods. You'll be fine.

jogwatch 0; mad dogs too many to count.

• 5M Fartlek. Hard. Legs like jelly. Dry, mild, no wind, perfect morning for it. These don't occur very often. Some good training going on. Keep it going you lot.
  • 6 Mile heart rate training (65% - 70% MHR) yesterday

Road run through the New Forest, early evening.

Running to my HR seems soooooo slooooow, but the times are falling:59mins 57secs two weeks ago, yesterday 53min 01sec

• Was out this morning and managed 25 miles in 3:47. This is over 20 minutes quicker for the route that I did last week as well. The cooler conditions felt like a breath of fresh air and no sun beating down to burn me was a relief. I feel happy with my pace, but feel maybe I need more if I am to complete a sub 3:30 marathon. Still got plenty of time to train though.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Solent - I think that you have already done enough for a sub 3:30 marathon.
    Take it easy.

I was running 22 miles in 175 mins prior to London in training. did this distance 3 or 4 times, can't remember. Did a hm in 1:35 so knew that London was achievable. I think that you should be able to run a 3:20 marathon in comfort based on what you are doing. If you are matching terrain of course.

My run today was the same as yesterday. legs still feel shot. Spoke to early about my arm, had another sleepless night with it. more dogs today. One even stopped to watch me felt a bit like the hare as she prceeded to chase me with a big grin on her chops. Looking at the ownwer I can see why she was so happy to go for the chase. image

• Mine was a run up the Coniston fells on Wednesday morning. Started from Torver at 8am, up Dow Crag, over to Brim Fell, over to Swirl How, then Wetherlam and back down along the Walna Scar road to to Torver.

Entered cloud about halfway up Dow Crag, got rained on all the way through, iciest of winds managed to go through three layers of clothing, buff and compression socks (under waterproofs!) particularly soaked, left cloud halfway down Wetherlam by which time I had given up trying to stop my nose running, chafed and steamed all the way back to Torver.

But miraculously my feet stayed dry, good old roclites!

Felt slightly feverish by the evening and back and calves were particularly sore. But I'm pretty sure I smiled the whole way round image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    runningfluff - if you will go running in the artic what do you expect? Good job it's nearly summer up there.