Gallstones?????

Hi there,

I've been to the doctors have had a couple of really bad episodes with a very sore abdomen, feeling nauseous, and with excessive sweating. I've been to the GPs and she suspects either Gallstones or Helicobacter Pylori. I'm being sent for blood tests and ultrasound to narrow this down.

If it's gallstones, what's the best way to avoid flare-ups? From what I've read on the web, it seems to suggest that I might need an op if I've got gallstones.

More importantly, am I still ok to go running and swimming?

thanks.

Comments

• Hiya, I had my gallbladder removed last year after multiple episodes of pain in my upper right abdomen. It felt like someone was tightening a belt around my stomach and at the time I felt like I was having a heart attack (dramatic I know!). I ended up in hospital a few times, once courtesy of the LAS. I had tests for Hep C, Helicobacter Pylori, liver disease. Blood test showed I had raised liver function levels. Eventually I had an ultra sound which showed I had not stones but sludge in my gall bladder. I had chronic gall bladder disease. Prior to the op to remove it I ended up with jaudice and in hospital for 4 days. One of the stones was causing obstruction so I could digest anything. I lost 20 Lbs (!).

What I would say is that you will probably get a diagnosis after the ultra sound. In the meantime I'd advise a very plain diet, no sat fats, limit alcohol, no spices and no sauces. That helped me. Gall Bladder pain can be the worst type, very scarey! Saying that you haven't received a diagnosis, but I hope you do soon so you can start to feel better!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• One of the stones was causing obstruction so I could digest anything

sorry that should read couldn't digest- well it is past my bedtime!!

• PS. as long as you feel ok with no pain, then exercise is fine. Gall bladder pain usually strikes in the early hours of the morning. Terrible if you live alone!
  • Thanks for the advice. I think I have a minor case (nothing as serious or unpleasant as yours sounds) but am just getting a bit hacked off with it as it's curtailing my running somewhat and I don't feel that I can push myself as hard as I want to. Fingers crossed that it will shift.

I've moved to swimming at the moment as it doesn't seem to cause the same discomfort as running does.

Nickers, hope you made a full recovery and are back to exercising.