Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Yeah Sleaford Runners do hare off....but us mortals, well.....Anyway what time did you di Edi? Cant troll back over posts, mine turned into a 'get round run'....really Pof as I had been doing well and was on for a PB.....but the HEAT!!!!!image
  • Same here - Very disappointed with 4h58, but then again, at the time I was happy to be upright !

I was aiming for sub 4.30, and secretly hoping for a 4.15. 

Thats probably whats motivating me to get another marathon booked up and aim to better that time!

• im hoping for a sub 5 in lochness in october

i ended up with a just get round in 1 piece in edinburgh 5hr 17

• way too hot for me i burnt my head image
  • Yeah I was trying for 4.30 but in the end it was 5.24 for me ....I feel the same about trying again and again until I crack at least sub 5!!!!!!!!

And Angie, I burnt my forehead which peeled, really atractive dropping dead skin all over the place YEUK

• philby123 wrote (see)
    Fiona, sorry to hear your having fitness issues, my problem is motivation - I completely used every excuse under the sun not to run today - I know Dave, who's the loser now image Hope your back to fitness in a week, make you a deal, you get back out in a week and I will man up and start my program for the Moray Marathon Sep 5 - Deal ??? Phil

Fingers crossed Phil - that's a deal. image - now put that book of excuses back on the shelf - better still chuck it in the recycling bin! image

All joking aside - I'm just getting a bit twitchy now.  Leg is much improved but still painful when running.  I know time off now will really sort it and with no races booked until September now is the time to do it.  But - you know what it's like.  You get out of the routine and it just seems an uphill battle to get your mojo back.  Should do something else but I'm just being a lazy toad!

I'm with you lot on wanting to do another marathon - next year for me though.  Really enjoyed Edinburgh but I know next time if I go into the run injury free I will be really going for the time so want to be properly prepared. (haven't told Shaun yet - he still hasn't got over me morphing into a marathon anorak prior to Edinburgh. image)

Good Luck with the runs this weekend guys.  Think a few of you have races - halfs etc.  Hope it goes well.  Weather forecase seems pretty good. x

• Hmmmmm... Looking at peoples expected times and what they actually got, I didn't do too badly... Hoped for 4:59:59, realistic 5:10 and got 5:27... image

Angie judging by how much quicker you are than me over the half then you should blast sub 5 when you go to see Nessie... *gets pom poms out* Go Angie.. Go Angie... image

Fiona have you found a reasonable hotel for Robin Hood yet???  I cant make my mind up whether to go for near the start or more in the centre...   Hope your leg feels better soon.... Healing vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ image

I'm going to have a bash at this parkrun thing on Saturday... Am expecting a PW... I've managed to get sub 30 for 5K before but if I feel anything like I did on Monday nights run then sub 40 will be a push LOL.   Not to worry, I'm going out for a little tootle with Mr CS tonight after abs and then again on Friday so hopefully by Saturday morning my legs will have remembered how to do this running thing.

• after nessie and maybe london and new york next year i will be knocking these full buggers on the head.

they are way too far for meimage, i seem to like the half distance and its more manageable in the training department image

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Looking outside as it pours down, edinburgh seems ages ago now....but it was fun!!!!!! especially the after party image
    When my head started to peel it looked like a map of the world and was worth it.

Caz....i may be doing my 1st 5k race tomorrow so lookin forward to that, need that kick start and get back into a decent routine.
    Went to a carvery pub for lunch yesterday and expected to have a chicken salad or pasta as the company i was with are health conscious. They only went for the carvery and i had to follow suit, those roast spuds were to die for, you just have to have loads. Anyway start again today image

• image It was cold, wet & miserable last night so I got home from abs class & slobbed on the sofa instead of going out for a run.   Must sort this defunked mojo out... Maybe it I do a HM training plan & stick it to my fridge that will give me some incentive...

Tee hee hee GP, I start each day with all good intentions but by mid-afternoon the biscuits are calling to me and it would be rude not to answer.

• Have you got the blues?  I know what you mean.  This weather isn't helpful either.  I was full of beans before Edinburgh, but now I am really struggling.....it seems to happen from time to time with me....more than I would like as well!

Am sure you will feel better soon.  Urgh,  have eaten so many biscuits lately too...addicted to custard creams....I could easily eat a packet with a cup of coffee...not good!

• I think its just a case of I've normally bounced back from races quite easily but each time I've been out for a run (even on the treadmill) it just feels such a hard slog... Of course I had never run that far before... And you're right this weather isn't helping at all, it's either so hot you're sweating & uncomfortable before you've even started running or so wet & miserable all you want to do is curl up on the sofa with the heating on.

*makes 2 cups of coffee*  Do you wanna share those biscuits??? 

• Share????!  I best get a bigger packet!

I do share your pain...I agree with everything you said.  Feeling how I do now I don't quite know how I got round, nevermind in that heat.  It's bad enough doing a miniscule run right now...How did we run a marathon 2 and a half weeks ago???image

• Exactly... I went out with a friend on Monday night and had to admit defeat at 2.5miles (yes there is a decimal point between the 2 & the 5) and there was no way on this earth I could've made it up the hill to home which I'd been ploughing up with ease only 3 weeks earlier. image

But half the biscuits means they contain 50% less fat & only half the calories so therfore they must be healthy...  image Do you see my logic there???

• Oh, I like you style!

I totally know where you are coming from.  I guess if we are both feeling the same it's probably quite common?

• CazSoul wrote (see)

But half the biscuits means they contain 50% less fat & only half the calories so therfore they must be healthy...  image Do you see my logic there???

imageimage - Tee Hee! - God I wish that was true.

Now come on ladies ((kicks Caz and RP off the comfy seats)) - put down the book of excuses that Philby lent you and get your butts out the door.

PS - leave the biscuits behind before you go - I'll look after them while I sit here and rest my injured leg - doctors orders and all that you understand. image

• Any room on the sofa *flicking through book of excuses*, mines white with a dash of milk image

Went to my group speed session last night and it was hard work!! Did time 1k's and managed to do first one in 5:58 and was supposed to keep the same pace but managed to do second in 5:33 and last one in 5:28!! All in the hope of getting sub 30 at ParkRun for the first time.

Been sorting through some stuff in search of my FLM and VLM rejection slips and found a folder with race numbers, results and some medals. 4 years ago i managed a 58 min 10k no problem on a regular basis so know I can do it.

Managed to get through to VLM today to clarify my 5 rejections and the guy said i should get my acknowledgment and request for entry fee in October image.

So next marathon will be VLM - I am going to concentrate on 5k, 10k and halfs for the rest of the year and losing 21lb so I will be leaner and hopefully quicker for VLM. Then maybe New York in November 2011 if I can get funds together or possibly Disney in 2012. image

• let me know if you get the funds together for new york, im hoping to save enough as well for it and may be going alone if i cant save enough for both of us image

and well done for VLM, fingers crossed i get in there too

• I had to bully, con, threaten and drag myself out of the house to cover 7 miles tonight.

Just got back and so glad I did. - feel a lot better for it and wont be beating myself up tomorrow for being a wuss.

I think it really is a case of it taking longer to reover from the marathon than you may initially expect. Its only een 3 weeks!

I've booked myslef in for a handful of 10k over th next month to force myself to focus on a new challenge. I've lost a lot of speed due to marathon training, so now is the time to focus on the new target of beating my 10k time and getting quick again!

• *sneaks back onto the comfy seats*  I'm not here really... *does wavy illusion type thing with arms & upper body*

Oooooh we're planning on doing Disney in 2012, its Mr CS 40th birthday in February that year so we decided that for his birthday treat we'd go to Disney and do the half marathon... I can't wait.... Just need to save up a humungus wodge of cash now as I know I'll have a beano in the shops over there.

Well the plan is to go out and do an easy 4miles tonight along the canal towpath to wake the legs up followed by some fish & chips (4miles = sufficient calories burnt for fish & chips right??) ready for tomorrows bash at a Parkrun.   Please dont let my beginner friend leave me for dust tomorrow.

Well done on the 7miles Kicked It... how about you share them around a bit???

• Hi All, just cuaght up with your mails.....Im off road runns and treadmills and intervals.....on new diet as well, really struggling, wanna eat my carbs.....actually think the wine might be calling (listens) oh yeeeees, oh well they say a little of what you fancy....have brill weekends, Im doing Race For Life with kids, they are worried because I do Marathons, Im worried because they are 33 years younger than meimage
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

*knocks and puts head round door*

Bloomin' heck, I thought this place would be closed but there's still lots of people here!!

Having been in Skiathos for the week and eaten and drunk far too much, finally got the running shoes back on yesterday.  First run since the end of April and did the slowest 6 miles I can ever remember. But at last the achilles seems to have sorted itself out and there's no pain this morning.

So.... have B'ham & Black Country HM booked and paid for on 4 July but not sure if that may be too soon. Certainly won't be racing it.  Then all being well need to think about the autumn and do I look at a marathon or just another couple of halfs? Decisions, decisions. 

It looks as though most of you people are looking for another marathon, if not this year then in 2011. Only Caz seems determined that she won't. But I'm sure somewhere there's a little voice saying 'I'd love to beat my Edinburgh time....' image 

• Glad to hear the achilles is behaving itself Goldeagle and that you've managed to get back out running. Hope you enjoy the HM!

Good luck WR

• Brilliant news about the achilles Goldeagle. imageimage

Well I tootled off to my 1st ever Parkrun yesterday and can quite happily confirm... I have a time which should be quite easy to beat LOL.  Knew it was going to be a PW... I managed 29 something at a 5K event last year and yesterday I got 34:38 hahaha. image  Am planning on doing one a month to guage how well my speed is improving as I really want to work on that for a while now.

Goldeagle, there may indeed be a little voice that keeps popping in there saying you know you can do better than that, but I'm ignoring it as I honestly didnt enjoy running (with a bit of walking thrown in for good measure) that distance.  I didn't mind the training, even though I forgot what a late night at the weekend was like for the last few months... but I really dont want to put myself through that distance again...  I'm quite happy with halfs, 10ks & a Kilomathon.

Hope Gold Pig & Angie did us a all proud at their race today.

• GE - glad to hear your achilles better, good luck with your half.

Re. autumn marathon: my experience with achilles is that once it was healed I was able to quickly get back up to full distance without any problems, so you could just about have time to fit in a marathon training program.

Cas - you should always listen to that little voice in your head. Unless you are Mark Chapman, then it's not such a good idea.

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Hello all

GE...welcome back and it was good to see you in edinburgh and glad the injury is clearing up.

Caz...Has those fish n chips anything to do with it, i'm sure youve not deteriorated so much since the marathon. image

Ive not been back from the "Potters Arf"  long and all i can say is i am knackered. My garmin says i finished in a time of 2hours and 3 seconds...bloody 3 seconds, and i bet they round it down to make it more agonising.
    TBH...i am not bothered about the time, i am just happy with getting in the miles and they were very tough miles today. It was a very hilly course and my legs had had enough after 8m so to throw a vry steep hill in at 11m was very cruel. I had to walk up it as my body just wouldnt have it...Thats the first time i have walked during a half since my very first race, the GNR 3yrs ago,  but these things are sent to try us.  

I will let angie give you all her details and surprisingly we never saw each other...........unless she was hiding from me. image

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Cheers, WR. 

Cheers Caz,  it's good to be back. I'll take that as a 'maybe' then, shall I? image

thiswayup,  hope you're right. The last few weeks have been very frustrating and have really missed the running. 

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Cheers, GP, x post. Well done on the half. Are you still doing Wombourne?
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    GE.....I'm still considering Wombourne, has to be easier than today. I will make my mind up during the week, i take it youre not doing it as your still in holiday mode.image
  • i would never hide from you andy image

just didnt find you, i did look around a bit found everyone else i knew was going and a few more i didnt

i would recommend the half to anyone who likes a challenge 2hr 10:19

if you do try it i have 2 words to remember MILTON ROAD imageimage