We all die in the end....

If  you could decide, how would you choose to die?

(The obvious option taken out: peacefully in your sleep)

I think I'd drown. Apparently after the initial panic you start breathing in the water and it gives you a form of euphoria.

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I don't intend to die. My plan is to live forever.

It's worked so far.

• I'm interested as to just how you managed to get someone that had drowned to tell you what it was like........
  • There are plenty of people who have nearly drowned?

• I'd rather not drown - I'm not that much of a fan of water right now, and that would hardly improve the situation.  Look, I know I'd be dead, but I don't see the point of exacerbating it when there might be something afterwards image

I've actually got my funeral planned and my burial spot picked - apparently that's really morbid but I'd rather not have my parents mess it up and bury me in the wrong place!

As long as it's clean, tidy and doesn't really put anyone out then it'll do me; if thats not possible, then something spectacular and gory.  Sneak out quietly or make a big show of it....

• Heart attack for me please.

I rather like the idea of going suddenly. Seen far too many elderly relatives suffering with long term degenerative disease. 

• Carbon monoxide poisining might be a better option than drowning...no need to go through the panic.

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong btw), an atmosphere with 1.28% CO will cause unconsciousness after 2-3 breaths and Death in less than three minutes.

I don't really see the running angle on this one though.

• Many scientists reckon we will be able to extend life significantly in the next few twenty years which of course would buy time for further developments to extend life further and so on.

It's all down to advances in genetics and the study of cancer cells which never die.

So, it is possible, that people who are children or in their youth today will never die naturally.

Statistically though you're likely to die of an accident in a thousand years. So the chances are, if you are young, your death is likely to be a violent one.

I agree with Artie, it is more to do with the quality of your life up to the moment you die.

I certainly wouldn't want to end up sitting in a chair, with tubes hanging out of me or staring into space with a vacant look in my eyes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

are you sure the euphoria is not from the fact they actually survived, and didn't actually drown>

Euphoria in drowning...biggest image  of the day

• Euphoria is a symptom of hypoxia, so that would be consitent with drowning.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I never knew about the drowning thing.  In which case I'll go for drowning during underwater sex after a big night out on the lash.  When I'm 102.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    moiri wrote (see)

I certainly wouldn't want to end up sitting in a chair, with tubes hanging out of me or staring into space with a vacant look in my eyes.

Apart from the tubes most on here are already there.  
  • That's because I've just read another thread about bets not being paid image
  • If they don't sort out immortality in my life time then I'd like to go quickly with no idea it's happening. I definitely don't want the moment of panic before drowning even if euphoria came next. Though if euphoria is what I'm after maybe a drug overdose would be good...though tht has a lot of potential for being horrible and scary.
  • Bloke I know had Heart attack. Woke up later but said it was thh way he wanted to go....

Actually, it scares me. The whole death thing.

• I want to die when I least expect it - a bit of a suprise!
  • you dont died you just change your body due to your karma. deep thing.
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    Like shit, death happens - get used to it. It's going to happen to you one day, for some of you it will be quick and relatively pain free - for others it may be hard.

You've woken up for a few brief hours and become conscious in the Universe as a witness to its beauty and cruelty-enjoy the ride.

You're made out of star dust and that's where your going to end up. If you want to know what being dead is like, think about the untold billions of years you were not born yet - this is what being dead is - I don't remember being scared, lonely, apprehensive or happy - I was just not here yet.

But as a small comfort - think on this.

If this Universe is infinite and time has no beginning and no end then the infinite number of things that had to happen to bring you into to existence will happen again at some distant point in the future (Or past!) and the cycle of life will begin again.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I know how I don't want to go - in the manner of my father, being diagnosed with a terminal cancer and knowing that the end would be degenerative and highly unpleasant (oesophagal cancer). He was quite literally like a concentration camp inmate when he finally expired.

If the docs ever tell me I've got something like that, I'd like to think I'd have the courage to put my affairs in order and then head for Switzerland on a one-way ticket.

But otherwise, being hit by a bus or a massive heart attack, really any way that I don't know is coming. Ideally when I'm 110 with my 17-year--old bride on top image

My mum went like your dad Muttley - though, up until the final two weeks she was laughing and making jokes and she had some quality of life.

Her pain was managed and I don't believe she felt much...

She died at peace with her family around her, in a room filled with 50 years of happy memories and had the comfort of her faith to ease her passing.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I hope I don't jinx myself for saying this...

but I would probably wan't to go in a car crash. Ok granted it can get messy but at least it's normally instant.

I would hate to be murdered, drown or have some long suffering illness.

• A friend of mine's boyfriend had a brain anurysm (sp?!) - literally there one minute and gone the next ... that's how I'd like to go.

• My mother took a brain hemorrhage at 50, one day she was fine and then the next day she keeled over and that was that. She went far too young but didn't suffer so that's not a bad way to go. Only thing is, if you survived a brain hemorrhage you'd probably be brain damaged which is everyones worst nightmare.

The way I'd like to go? I don't care as long as it's a long way off

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I wouldn't mind dying running.

If I had to go.

I often think about this when I run across the level crossing.

I worry sometimes that the lights are faulty and one of those never-ending freight trains will come hurling at me and instantly just blow me into smithereens, stopping my heart instantly so that I feel no pain.

And that'll be the end of D2D. image

Drama queen image

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

I don't intend to die. My plan is to live forever.

It's worked so far.

Muttley beat me to that one.

Quickly, and in a way that causes as little trauma for others. BEing in a car crash, or something where you have to be scraped up by someone.....or leave a lasting memory in the person who crashes into you (assuming it is not your fault) would be horrible. Some suicide methods can be awful for others....such as jumping off something or into the path of something.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ...course there is the Bob Monkhouse joke of 'quietly in my sleep....not screaming like the passengers around him in the car'
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    my dad died suddenly of a heart attack aged 64

my mum was like a creaking old door going from one health crisis to another before she died and having not enjoyed her last few years - she was 82 and had been widowed for 23 years

give me my dad's death at my mum's age (or older)

I'm not that bothered how I die as long as it isn't too painful - I'd hate to burn to death. I saw that happen to someone once and now carry a large knife in my car to prevent that, should I become trapped.

I'd hate to die after my child. I hope I'm long gone before she dies.
  • Like MrGFB's aunt - went to bed and went to sleep....she just didn't wake up.  She was in her 80s - vibrant good health, full social life and loving family.