The Trionium Picnic Marathon

Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
As anyone who has ever done this race will tell you, this is not one for the faint-hearted. If you have a yearning to find out how much you can punish your body before it screams 'NO' at you, then this is probably the race for you. As a runner who enjoys hilly races, I'm telling you now that this is too tough for me. As race director, I advise you strongly not to enter this race. Unless...unless....unless... you want to find out where your strength ends and your spirit begins. Just don't schedule any steps for the week after the race.

Seriously, you have to be quite mad to run this race, so that it is quite appropriate that the race charity is MIND, the mental health charity.

If you do decide to enter, you will receive my full respect when and if you cross the finish line.

Comments

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Dear Dr Robert

Foolishly in my haste to talk somebody into doing an Ironman I *might* have said I would do the Picnic.  If so, can I start it earlier than 2pm if I promise not to get lost?

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Since we are old pals, and only for you, that's a yes! Bonkers!
  • I ran the full Munro route a couple of days ago as training towards this year's race - first time since last year's race. My legs are really rather tender today! At this stage if I was to consider the Picnic then I would need my head examining. I would like to think that I would be able to finish it but if I did then I suspect Dr Rob, you would be out very late waiting!! Possibly on the next running.. But four times up and down those steps??? Full and total respect to all those that have run it.
  • I must be mad!  Ive been waiting since the knacker cracker for this race entry to open. Roll on next year!

Dr Rob, Just out of interest how quickly does this race fill up. There cant be that many silly people out there.!!

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Peter: Respect!

The Picnic has not filled up before (there were a few places available on the day last time), but I think that it will fill up for 2011 (absolute maximum 250 places). I'd be surprised if it filled up before April 2011. Mind you, word does get around (it was named best marathon in 2009), and there are a lot more nutters out there than you might think!

Many are called....but few can answer.
  • Just signed up for this. Perhaps I should have waited until after The Munro next month?

I have to do this again to see if I can get around without falling over as many times as I did in 2009. And I want to count the steps?

• Having been one of the nutcases that completed the Picnic in 2007 and 2009, I will be back in 2011. Just one of those events that has to be done for as long as we have the goodwill and dedication of Dr Robert to keep organising it. Aim to use the spiral staircase at Covent Garden tube station as part of my training regime!
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Oh dear God I have just entered image
  • Thanks Dr Rob!

I don't think I'm interested in signing up for this - my calves are still hurting since training the other day. Those flippin' stairs.. But, if I did have a screw loose - do any of the Picnic veterans have any pearls of wisdom to impart? If it helps I managed the Munro course in 2hrs 37 - I don't think I could have squeezed any more time out of myself as I was fairly knackered but I could have gone further.

So, is there a suggested level to attain before being able considering this? I'd be grateful for any pointers - especially the "don't do it!!".

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    A sensible start to considering doing The Picnic is finishing the Midsummer Munro (either the race itself or 'just' the course, on your own) - then at least you will have some idea of the punishment that awaits you on The Picnic.

A Lunacy Scale:

1: A brick (or some other thing which is not at all mad)
    2. A flat 10k in Slough (included to give an idea of a non-mad race)
    3. The Ministry of Silly Walks
    4. Knacker Cracker (it's fancy dress - it can't be that hard, can it?)
    5. Smoking
    6.Midsummer Munro
    7. A man eating fireplace (suggested by my daughter)
    8. Greensand Marathon
    9. Fishfingers and custard
    10. The Picnic

....er... I think I need to go and lie down now. Anyone else care to try a lunacy scale of their own?
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Oooh, fishfingers and custard, yum image
  • Wonders whether to have fishfingers & custard in a bowl or on a plate image
  • Well it seems that I'm getting there then - I'm up to number 8 on the scale, I love custard and fishfingers but together?? I'll have to give this some more thought....
  • You know me... and I know you... so it goes without saying I'll be in!

Having already completed 2009 I need another dose of lunacy in my life so I'll trot round the Munro this summer and crank out a few more marathons before this one!

Please consider a certificate with a statement saying:

"This is NOT the London Marathon BUT

The PICNIC - Britain'sToughest Marathon!

6,000ft + of climb & fall & 2,000 steps!

No lifts or escalators  included!

I'm fed up to the back teeth of everyone I've ever met since i took up running saying

"Have you done the London Marathon?!" God it grates my ears that question! I say:

"NO! But I have done The PICNIC - Britain's toughest Marathon!" "And only 120 people have ever done it and I'm one of them!"

Fact: The highest elevation on the London marathon is about 30ft from the Embankment onto Tower Bridge! The 1st hill we climb and immeadiatley from the start of the race is 400ft+!

So looking forward to the Munro - I'm going to have fish fingers and custard sandwiches and wash it all down with a bottle of Jack and a pack of Capstan full strength fags! Let's Rock!

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Andy

You know I'm expecting a standing ovation from you when I come lumbering down the last hill. 

Well, you did set a precedent at Tanners image

• Oh dear, oh dear, what have I done?.Having carefully read all your comments/advice/pearls of wisdom and thought long and hard about whether this race may be too tough for me..I've gone and entered for 2011..am I mad?..looks like Boxhill this weekend for some hill training..what was I thinking..!!
  • I was tidying up my Garmin files last night and I took a look at the data from 2009. What the hell was I thinking signing up for 2011!
  • I'm looking at the possibility of completing 100 (yes - ONE HUNDRED) marathons in a 2011. 

I have a chosen charity, Project 65, which supports Help for Heroes.  I just completed 5 in 5 with them. 

I need to assess how much all the entry fees will cost and whether or not I could get a local business to pay for them. 

If I choose the toughest Marathon in Britain as one of my 100, would it be at all possible to bring down the entrance fee a tad for a complete nutter attempting 100 marathons in a year.

many many many thanks

Rusty

• I'm giving this a miss - I know I'm mental , but not that mental!image
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Hello Rusty. For 100 marathons in a year, I'd give you a free place, but I very strongly advise you not to do The Picnic. It will wipe you out for weeks and weeks. Don't do it!
  • Good luck with that Rusty. 100 is practically 2 every weekend. You'd need to get in to the Brathay 10 in 10 and a few of the Votvo 3 day coastal runs and manage to stay injury free for the whole year.

I think Steve Edwards did around 90.

• Rusty - you're clearly barking mad but I wish you all the best with the attempt. Dr Rob is right - this one will wipe you out for a few weeks.

I did it last year and swore I'd never be back... which is why I'm seriously contemplating doing it again! image

• I think Dr Rob is just egging Rusky on...image

Go for it, Rusky...you can do it!!!!image

• I'll think about everything you've said Dr Rob....

Because I'm barking mad Lorenzo, and Joe, Runnaholic is spot on, you just egging me on.  I'M IN.

Lets face it, by mid June 2011 I'll be dead or at around 47-48 (or more for the year), I should have built quite a tough set of legs and lungs.  I'll be fine.

ANyone else know of a few I could try and get in for free during my record attempt?

cheers, I am so excited about this one!  The toughest in Britain.

• Rusty

Good on ya mate.. Respect

• Well when I finished yesterday I had the Picnic in mind and reckon I had enough left in my legs to just about get to the half way point again (3/4 of the Picnic). Assuming I walked the last quarter this would give me a Picnic of about five and a half hours (2.25 plus 3.25). I need to find half an hour to meet the 5 hour cut off. Now where will I find it?
  • Jet propelled roller skates??
  • ORB - if I remember correctly from last year, there isn't a cut off point at 5 hours (I think it was 7) but you were supposed to get a special momento (a tankard?) if you got under 5 hours. Having squeezed under with 4:55, they'd run out by the time I finished and I didn't get one, hence a planned second attempt next year!
  • Well I have entered so unless I am genuinely injured I must now do it ...