Mizuno Trail Shoes

Hi all

I'm looking for the trail equivalent (road and off-road) for my Mizuno Wave Inspire 4s.

There seem to be many Mizuno trail variants - Acend, Harrier, Cabrakan, Arashi but what would be most similar to the Wave Inspire range? I think they cater for the mild pronator.

Many thanks!!

Comments

• I also run in Inspires. I use Ascends for general trail stuff and Harriers for fell and cross country image  Both great!!
  • bedshaped wrote (see)
     Harriers for fell and cross country image 

I wear 'Wave Harriers' as well (mine are a rather vibrant yellow!), & will agree they are a good shoe.

I did the 'Stanbury Splash' fell-race on Sunday (7 miles/1200 feet climbing), there was barely a slip on any part of the route

Comforable shoes too! (& they were great in the recent snow)
  • lol mine are yellow too, or yellow with a dash or 2 of mud! Hoping they'll get me round Carnethy 5 hill race in a couple of weeks!!!  Didn't try them in the snow tho.....hmm....
  • bedshaped wrote (see)
    lol mine are yellow too, or yellow with a dash or 2 of mud! Hoping they'll get me round Carnethy 5 hill race in a couple of weeks!!! 

I wish you good luck with that one!

The 'Wave-Harriers' also coped extremely well with the (Bingley Harriers) 'Harriers verses Cyclists' fell-race back in November

Mindst you, my Cyclo-Cross shoes also get fairly dirty too!image (I think this was after a cross at Cleckheaton?)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Cycling._2008._Clothing._Diadora._1.JPG

Digressing salt-water really cleans shoes, my old New Balance shoes really looked great after the 'Cross-Bay Challenge'image

http://www.crossbayrun.org.uk/index.htm

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Running._Competition._2009._Cross_Bay_Challenge._12.JPG

Not only, but also; the 'Harriers' did clash awfully with my running attire for a certain event in Decemberimageimage

• Crikey that's a fair old pile of mud!! I love mud. Once you've gone through it a few times it's great just to keep squelching image  Snow tho, great for cleaning shoes and fun to run in. How did you cope with the ice however??? lol at the colour clash image

Cross Bay looks excellent - bit of a geographical challenge for me thoimage  How deep does it get? Spose that depends on your time?

• bedshaped wrote (see)

Crikey that's a fair old pile of mud!! I love mud. Once you've gone through it a few times it's great just to keep squelching image  Snow tho, great for cleaning shoes and fun to run in. How did you cope with the ice however??? lol at the colour clash image

Yes, it was a particularly 'claggy' cross, as some of them are (I also have a pair of f**tball studs screwed into the - provided - holes on the toes)

That was a race where riders were having to pedal downhill to countermand such heavy going!

Ice??, the same as everyone else - very carefully, but running the snow was great in them, with such an open (or perhaps, sparse??) tread pattern they never clog

bedshaped wrote (see)

Cross Bay looks excellent - bit of a geographical challenge for me thoimage  How deep does it get? Spose that depends on your time?

The dificulties of the 'Cross-Bay' depend on the rainfall up in 'The Lake District', as you're crossing one of the main-drains; the River Kent (comes through Kendal) & the weather is a far bigger variable than many other events

The Kent was, perhaps 300 yards wide, & just short of crotch-deep! (on me) - if you've ever tried to walk along a swimming pool, you'll know how hard it is (& the time it takes), so imagine that for 300 yards.......

Then there were another 2 channels that had water up to, perhaps knee-depth.

Plus.............. there was a 25MPH head-wind for the last 6 miles! (& no shelter at all out there, or many markers to judge your distance against)

As for me, it was my first 'half' (Still not done another, shame on me!), & I finished in 51st/237 @ 1.42:52 (not bad with the water & the wind!?)

Apparantly they have a limit of 500 places, were the numbers so low because everybody else realises that it's such a barmy place to run across????, or were we simply tough enough to do it??image

The logistics must be awful;

1. It starts on a different site to the finish - in a different county even!!

2. Coaches take competitors to the start, if you're not making your own way (SWMBO took me to start)

3. The average time to drive back to finish for relatives/supporters was probably 1 & 1/4 hours (that's how long it took my wife in our XKR!)

4. The actual course may have altered overnight!, subject to checking by local fishermen/sand-guides. Quicksand is not a good surface to run on...............................

Anyway, here's a few pics of my day on it

http://sports.webshots.com/album/568959089OtBosI

• I use Wave Elixir on the road and Wave Ascend on trails.  I'm a mild overpronator and find they provide good support.  They're not as grippy as some of the other Mizuno trail shoes - but I think it's because they're designed to cope with a multi terrain runs that include sections of road.  Perfect for what I use them for...and unlike my other off road shoes, I've never yet had a blister in them, despite running with soaking feet.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. Apologies for the late reply but my tardiness does mean that I've had plenty of runs in the Wave Ascends. Great suggestion by some of you. They are ideal for where I run which is a mix of trail (it's been very muddy) and road. I've also run in them with wet feet for miles. Comfortable / supportive / grey enough to be the only pair of shoes you need to take on holiday too.

• Great news i-Plodder - they're a cracking shoe!!