Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

That's fantastic news GE!  You must have been busting a gut to get back out running - that's quite some lay off.  So glad for you that your achilles was fine.  Just take your time and I'm sure you will be back stronger than ever.

I'm gonna go out on my first run tomorrow since Edi.  Had a physio last Monday just to loosen off the calfs and have had a couple of 'experimental jogs' whilst out with the dogs to gauge things and at long last I seem to be able to run with no pain.  So fingers crossed come tomorrow it will be all systems go.  Yippee!! image - (need to get out there soon to burn some of the calories I keep stuffing in my face. imageimage)

Well done GP and Angie.  They are fab times especially considering the race was hilly and it's not that long since Edinburgh.  Very impressive. image

Darren - ooooooo? - wouldn't like to be the England goal keeper Bless Him! - hope your hangover wasn't too bad.

• Options
    Hey folks good to see you all getting slowly back in to it and entering races, To be honest i havent had the motivation problem, I did 28 miles this week and 20 the week before and did 12 today. Entering 2 halfs one in august and one in september then not sure which marathon to enter, September seems a bit to soon to start training again for a marathon so i guess it will be october.
  • Options
    Evening all. Just thought I would pop in now that the marathon blues are officially over for me. Had a stinking cold the week before last which seemed to hang around forever. Just seeing off the last of the chesty cough and coughing up big balls of snot now.

Ran a lovely 10k today which apart from a couple of feeble attempts on treadmills is my first 'proper' run since Edinburgh. The run was a hilly trail race around Castle Howard and was 10.45km which I did in 41.20. Finished 15th which wasn't a bad return.

Jo also ran it as part of her Notts HM build up but she found it tough and finished in 1.08.35 but she didn't walk any of it so she was pleased.

GE - Glad the achilles is looking good mate
    Good luck tomorrow Fiona
  • Options

Well done to Jo, that's a fab time for a hilly trail race... Do hope she's pleased with her little self Dave.  Suppose your time wasn't too shabby either. image

Well done Gold Pig & Angie, some fab running there too... Don't you just hate it when they stick a hill in at 11miles??? I'm sure they do it on purpose.... Just as your legs are getting to the I'm a bit tired now stage they stick a hill in to kill you off properly.

Good luck with your run today Fiona, you've got a Shaun to beat in September young lady so no more slacking off. image

GP, are you implying that fishies & chippies are not optimum pre-run food????  I dont think my rubbish time was anything to do with them anyhoo, think it was more to do with the constant tired feeling I seem to have in my legs.  Did manage to plough up the short sharp hill 3 times though, so not too shabby for a pair of tired legs...  I'm sure I'll put that time to shame next month.

• Options

Well done Dave and Jo on your run yesterday.  Jo has got to be pleased with that performance - really well done.  Hope you didn't splat anyone Dave with your big balls of snot?!! Urrgghhh! - gross! image

Went for run - not sure that's an accurate description - went for jog this morning as planned.  Really slow and not very far.  Sat here with an ice pack on - as a precaution.  Seemed OK - bit tight but that's to be expected I spose.   Worst bit was the lack of fitness.  OMG - it was hard.  Felt like I was carrying Ben on one hip and Jerry on the other. image  Oh well - onwards and upwards hey?!

Caz - after todays performance I am soooooo glad Notts half is a good few weeks away.  Beating Shaun feels like an impossible dream at the mo.   I could always resort to devious tactics and get him drunk the night before. image x

• Options

You could also opt for the naughty snuggles route... very good for you apparently, not so good for Shaun. image

I need to draw up a plan for Notts, my fridge looks a bit bare... It's had a marathon plan & McMillan pace thingy stuck to it for so long and now it only has the McMillan pacer.

• Options

image - Page 3 I found us!!  Had to rectify that right away!  You all must be out running so much you haven't got time to post anymore? imageimage

Off to gym for me - and Shaun - tonight!  - he actually went out for a run yday evening.  What's that all about?  Is he actually taking this half mara seriously?  image 

Hope you are all well and getting back into the swing of things.  Catch you soon. x

• Options

looks like nobody's playing on the thread today and here's me looking for some advice.

It's a glorious day so should I go and do the 10k trail race that I have entered or should I do a spot of gardening and enjoy a refreshing cider?

decisions decisions!

• Options
    I'd treat the gardening as stretching and enjoy the cider!!
  • Options

I like your style WR - good call! image

I'm sat in the office still (at home) trying to sort everything out - the world has gone mad!!  Don't feel too sorry for me though - off tomorrow - Ladies Day at Ascot in a Limo.  Woo! Hoo!  Champers is chilling in the fridge (along with my bottle of water - I would like to remember the day. Lol)

image - does Ladies Day mean I have to act like a lady? Mmmmmm..................?  this should be interesting.  image

Catch up on the weekend. x

• Options
    Unfortunately I'm stuck in work too and will be for a few more hours. Enjoy Ladies Day Fiona, i've got a 12 miler planned for tomorrow, then work and a wine tasting on friday!!
  • Options

Ooooh enjoy ladies day Fiona, don't think it means you have to act like a lady... you just have to wear a fancy frock & a BIG hat. image

WR apparently you're meant to spit the wine out, but where's the fun in that???

Eugh tonights run was awful awful awful, I was sweating like mad before I even started running and then the breathing went all to pot as I forgot my inhaler before going out. image  Oh well, there's always Saturdays run to look forward to.  I'm out with the girls Saturday night for my birthday (next Tuesday hint hint) and I need to earn some calories for the copious amounts of beer & food I plan to indulge in. image 

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Morning all

Dave...well done to you & Jo for last weekends race,  looking good for nottingham.

Fiona...lucky you at ascot today, hope you back some winners and youve got the weather. We want a report on how you mingled with the "thirty bob millionaires"

Caz....Was that the chippy run you did last nightimage Dont worry about it as we've still got 12 weeks to go and it was very warm last night. The pollen count has been very high the last couple of days aswell, i seem to suffer from this but hopefully it wont last long.

I decided to go on a bike ride on tuesday and managed 16m, i couldnt get up the stairs when i got home image Later went to track night with the club and did 4x400s & 4x800s, had to push myself just to finish the sets. The last time i did these sets at track was back in feb and my times have greatly improved. I was knocking off 15-20 secs per 400m & similar for the 800s, i think alot of this is down to running with a new and bigger group of runners, lets hope it continues.  

• Options

how do everyone?

hope everyone's well.

I have entered Amsterdam Marathon in October (told you I don't do hills)... Can't believe the b*stard training starts all over again at the end of the month and I have 2 19 milers to do on holiday!!? Not funny.

GE - I think BBCHM is 3 not 4 July - would hate for you to miss it!

• Options

Caz i'll be knocking the wine back. Did a wine tasting with my brother in Australia and he was disgusted with me, he's in the trade and a wine snob!!

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Adrian, yes, I did know it's the Saturday. Must have got my dates mixed up. Only 2 weeks away and not sure I'll be there. Have managed to run 3 times this week but still not convinced achilles problem has totally gone away. Had some pain after 2nd run. Resorted to cutting the heel tabs off my shoes (an old pair, I hasten to add), and the 3rd run felt much better so maybe that's the answer. Whether I can pluck up the courage to do that to my new Sauconys is another matter......

Good luck for Amsterdam. I think I've come round to thinking that I may just give up the idea of any races before 2011 and just try and run regularly and slow up to Christmas and then hopefully concentrate on a Spring marathon from a solid base.
  • Options
    deffo best to be sure, but shame to miss the BBC - I am planning a very gentle plod to Brindley Place followed by a beer in the sun!
  • Options

It was my birthday yesterday and my staff very kindly clubbed together and bought me a lovely Ron Hill running top.

So obviously I couldt wait to give it a try, left work early and set off for a 10k in the blazing sunshine at 4pm! It felt like Edinburgh all over again!

No wonder we struggled in that heat. I managed the run but I think i was half way to de-hydration after just 50 min running!

Dont underestimate how much that run took out of you everyone. Not only was it a marathon, it was incredible heat to run in.

• Options

Evening all.

You think we'd all be fine at running in this heat after Edinburgh...too hot for me tonight image

Did interval session/boot camp thing with group last night - it was pretty hot and we were all fighting for the shaded bits image. 5 x 800 (ish) with 3 mins rest between and then some sprints on the green with 10 push ups at the end of one sprint and 10 squat thrusts at the end of the other. Quite enjoyed it apart that had to tuck my top in my pants for the squat thrusts after comments from a passing teenage lad image

Thinking of doing lovely local run next Wednesday night - Round The Resrs. It's 5 miles and lovely views - just slightly worried that if it's this hot I'll be last and it means no drinking whilst watching England image.

• Options

Adrian - good luck in amsterdam.

My friend did it last year and it's very flat (reason she chose it). London for me next in April 2011 as long as I stay injury free. I did look at Dublin at end of October but have decided to concentrate on my half, 10k and 5k times in the hope it will help me with the marathon next year image

• Options
    Aunty Shezzie wrote (see)

Thinking of doing lovely local run next Wednesday night - Round The Resrs. It's 5 miles and lovely views - just slightly worried that if it's this hot I'll be last and it means no drinking whilst watching England image.

After last  Saturday's performance don't know how you could be thinking about watching England play while you're sober!
  • Options

very flat... Bliss!

and hopefully rather cool!

• Options

Well I can throughly recommend Ladies Day - fab!  Obviously the weather helped - wouldn't want to be there in the rain.   Long day mind you - but good fun.  Had food under the gazebo by the limo then off to the races back for more food lots of champagne thrown into the mix and then home - very civilised!  Could get used to that sort of life - not too sure my liver would cope mind. image

Talking of livers - have fun tonight WR with the wine tasting.  And enjoy your birthday celebrations on Saturday Caz.  If you're starting the party on Saturday and your birthday's not until Tuesday you had better have a long, long, long run Saturday to burn that level of calories.  Lol. Have a fab time. ximage

GE - very frustrating for you trying to ease yourself back into the running without causing any more problems.  Maybe best to put the races on hold until you know that everything is OK - you won't have any timescale pressures then.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

• Options

Fiona - Did you happen to pass through Oxford services on your way to Ascot?

I was stuck there and saw loads of limo's with hot hot women all dressed up for the races. I had to sit in the sun for an hour just to watch them all (sad perv that I am)

Anyway, me and the boys are off to the EBOR ladies day in York in August which will be a) good fun and b) probably the reason why I am not racing much in August

Did 7.5miles at Ogmore last night in the sun which was very nice and a decent time considering it was an easy run.

Good luck in Hamster Jam Adrian

• Options

Ha! Ha! Funnily enough I meant to mention the services.  Think we stopped just outside Reading.  All the limos converge there and then convoy into Ascot.  But what a bizarre site.  Never have you seen a motorway services looking so glammed up.  The toilets looked like the changing rooms at a large fashion house.  (Why people would want to get changed in motorway toilets God only knows - but hey ho takes all sorts. image)

You could see people just staring - mouths dropped open - what the hell is going on?!! - And yes Dave, plenty of men - mouths dropped open, drooling - thinking 'who cares what's going on??!!'

• Options

Wow, sounds like you had a fab day Fiona. image  Are you suggesting that a gentle 5miles on Saturday morning which has been carefully planned to end where the Ice-cream barge is parked up is not sufficient mileage to consume copious amounts of alcohol & food???  image

Sounds like putting races on the back burner for this year is the way to go GE and focus on getting fully fit ready to come back with a vengeance next year.

We were looking at races for next year and providing on the date of Edinburgh, we could be doing Edinburgh half one Sunday followed by Mull of Kintyre half the next. Eeek!!!  I fancy doing Blackpool half and the Humber Bridge half too... Can you tell I'm thinking of focusing on halfs????

We went out for a little tootle on Wednesday night and oh my god the heat was unbearable, I did think to myself how the hell did I managed 26.2miles in this when I'm struggling with 3??  I think I preferred the winter, at least I could just add more layers... I'm running out of clothes to take off... I have a cropped racing vest, but it has been relegated to the bottom & back of the drawer after piling the pounds on. image

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Fiona...glad you enjoyed the races, but did you not back any winners.

I  live less than a mile away from Haydock Park race course and tomorrow its an evening meeting with JLS in concert afterwards. I will be able to sit in my garden and listen to the music for free................if i was a JLS fan. image
    Next month Simply Red are in concert so hoping to go then. I know its not Royal Ascot or York for that matter but its a great day at the races, and even better if you go home with more money than you started with.

Managed 7m with the club last night, but legs are feeling it now. Rest day today while England play then hopefully will try a 15 miler over the weekend.

• Options
    Got a few good runs in this week and back up to double figures and most importantly enjoying it!!

Off now for wine tasting, is there a soccer match on tonight?
  • Options
    thiswayup wrote (see)
    Aunty Shezzie wrote (see)

After last  Saturday's performance don't know how you could be thinking about watching England play while you're sober!

Think the race may be out the window - have found out it is free drinks whilst the football is on image

Caz - can recommend Humber Bridge Half. My best friend lives couple of miles from the bridge on the Lincolnshire side and I did the race in 2006. Was tempted to do it this year but haven't done enough running since Edinburgh to do it justice. Long hill at 9-10 miles (Gravel Pit) which i didn't think was as bad as people made out. It was going back over the bridge that did me - you don't realise how much it inclines and thats at mile 11/12. You not only get a t-shirt but a medal too!! Worth it to say you have run over the longest suspension bridge that can cross on foot image