Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Session was a 10miler, with 39mins alternating in 3min segments between MP and Tempo (6:23) and (5.55-5.57).

I did the session in the morning as this evening I'm marshalling my club's 5k, and there are 2 footy games on later!

Bang on for the first 21mins, but on turning round not helped by a sudden sweeping wind and slight undulations, I couldn't get the tempo pace cracking again. Therefore, the last 18mins were pretty much MP pace, even though I aimed to get at least one more Tempo leg in.

Sitting writing this now I don't have any aches or anything, so can only imagine it was a mixture of the wind, doing the session early when perhaps I'm not as fuelled up as when I usually do these type sessions, and my general finding it harder to train when I don't have the work routine to help me schedule sessions!

However, still a good 10miles logged.

Years of football seem to have left me better at fast twitch track reps than these kind of prolonged repeats. But I'm sure I can train up for these effectively, as they';re still relatively new to me.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    That's a tough session, so don't be hard on yourself.  Good effort.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good to hear! The 4miler as the second run of the day felt like I was floating in comparison!

Rest of day is footy watching, food eating and then enjoying a 5k watching others put the hard work in tonightimage

though my late evening is manually writing out the whole results and matching times to names...took 2 hours last year. It is fun in an anorak way!!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

SG, how come you never ran last night?  Best spread of the series so far, cracking flapjacks!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

club rules...no running our own event I'm afraid.

Though to be fair if i'd got there at 4pm they'd have let me, but I think another race in the already packed schedule would have sent Mr Moraghan over the edge!

How'd you do...if you let me know your number I can give you your exact time and placing as I spent all last night doing the results!!

I might have said a proper hello but I was helping the back marker round the course, and most people had gone by the time I got back! Is an odd feeling marshalling a 5k...lacks the satisfaction of marshalling a half marathon.

Training wise, easy 4miler last night, and easy 4miler today....nice comfortable day. Tomorrow is a couple of easy paced jobs, 4m and 6m...with next hard on Friday.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

So you are not allowed to run the Marlow half either? Bit harsh.

My number is 406, i think 19:08, so probably 19:10!   My 5k and 10k times don't relate at all to my half time which is bloody annoying!

11m at mp this afternoon, it was roasting!

So how do you feel you're training overall is going? Have you got a main race lined up?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not bad mate, that's 19th  and we've got it as 19:09 so we split the difference!

9th Male Senior no less.

Overall 19th out of 208  (231 including guests who are taken out of the main figure)

11miles at MP is a good effort.

Overall my body is coping well with the extra quality and quantity I think.

I think once we've got this stack of 5ks out the way, along with the Wycombe half, then I'll pick a quick 10k around Sep/Oct and really build for that. I'm definitely still in the position where the 10k pb will go next time out, but hoping to really smash it down from the current 36:44.

I think a fast 5k course would be nice to find as well, as none of our series are as fast as they could be. Even Maidenhead and Marlow have lots of grassy/traily sections. A completely flat road course, and I'd hope to be knocking on  the door of 17mins, and looking to get nicely under 36 for 10k by the autumn.

Winter will be some cross country racing up until the end of the year. Then I've a bit of a massive decision to take on possibly changing running club, as my own one has morphed more and more into a rotary club, and there's no one above me to hunt down!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Im ahead of you in one thing then, as in i have membership forms here for Maidenhead, ready to be sent in. Reading Roadrunners would be a bit closer but just seems a little too serious. Add in the fact that Maidenhead run a cross country series later in the year which Wargrave dont.

Cheers for the time, bet you were itching to be running when you saw the first few runners steaming towards you!

Never done the Wycombe half, nice hill straight in isnt there?

Rest day tomorrow  though will probably need a run about 9:20 tomorrow evening after England have put everyone through the mill again!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wycombe half has a mile long hill about 200metres in that doesn't get any easier, but I think the last 6 miles aren't always the easiest as they're just in a straight line, and actually rise by 100feet over the distance! I ran it 2002 to 2006, then was injured in 2007 and took the easier 10k option last 2 years. However, I think it might be time to do the half again, and as long as it isn't a scorcher I probably will do.

I must admit the 5k left me a bit non plussed, I like to marshall out half marathon, certainly didn't like running that one in 02 and 05 asit's so darn tough, but marshalling our 5k I feel like I completely miss out on the great feeling you get afterwards. It does humble you when you see the incredibly slow people mid to back of pack. They're the real hard workers, to put themselves through it in that condition!

Ah, we might re-convene at Maidenhead one day then. I've looked at them and they seem to be a good option. Good amount of faster runners, as shown in their continued dominance of the 5ks, with a fair few of their guys not even racin this year's series. Reasonably close to me, and their own track. Don't like red kits though, although that's probably a ridiculous reason to not move club!

Also I know a couple of their guys actually live in Marlow...so that says it all that they live in Marlow yet don't run for Marlow!! There is obviously a club in my own town of Wycombe....but as far as I can see they are not too different from Marlow, but have 2 excellent runners, one always injured...and then a few below them who are decent.

Marlow operate a club championship, and that runs til the end of Dec, so I'll stay until then, but I think it's probably key I move after that. Whereas once it was a challenge winning it, it's become a bit embarrasing now, as I'm just beating oldies who aren't that fussed!

We are completely non competitive in any competitions and although we have a few decent runners, it's not going in the way I want to, interest is dropping, we're becoming like a social club who also run, rather than the other way round.

I'm not sure I'd want to run as Maidenhead in the winter XC league though, as they come about 12th or 13th out of 13 usually as they can never field more than about 2 or 3 runners for a team of 7. I quite fancy Sandhurst or Reading purely for racing for a top team, but obviously I'd never go to train with either as they're both too far away!

So maybe Shurst/Reading first claim, Maidenhead second claim....as crazy as that sounds!

whoa what a long post...lucky it's my own thread or i'd be kicked off!

• I was thinking about joining Maidenhead last year too. Ended up not joining them as I could never make the training sessions and didn't want to join a club I didn't attend.

I ended up joining Purple Patch runners. Not really sure of there standards, except they have no entries on powerof10 except me...however, it's more so I get cheap race entries and have an affiliated club which is a requirement for the championship entry at london marathon.

I might also consider joining Maidenhead again though so that I can run the cross country. They do have some good runners down there, one lad down there running sub 35 for the 10km and sub 17 for 5km. I see him running around quite a bit. Why don't you both consider Maidenhead for the XC maybe we could string a half decent team together?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Now there's an idea Harry, we can form a new power in the XC league!

Maidenhead have got the guy you mention, but have also got a 1hr 14 half man, as well as a guy who I remember winning the Marlow half one year.  In fact if they put out their best runners, as well as you, me and Mee Meep I'd say they'd have a great shot of winning the XC. Especially as 2 of their real fast guys are over 40 so would fulfil the 2 vets in every team of 7 rule!

The only slight issue is a fair few clubs I've found also run a saturday cross country league, which is much higher standard...like national champions run in it as well! That sometimes diffuses people running the sunday XC league. I like the sunday courses though, and the standard at the front isn't exactly slow, but the winner is say a 1hr 12/13 half marathoner, and would perhaps come top 10 in the saturday league, which has a far higher amount of clubs involved. I come say 15th to 20th in the sundays, but would possibly come in the 60th to 70th mixer on sats!

Right...i'm still on a week off work, so preparing to go and do a tough sounding 9miler, including 5miles at the track of 5x (800m at 5k pace, 400m at 3k pace) with 400m recovery in 2:30 or less.

looks hot out there, so will report back later!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

right.. aim was to do 2 laps at 5k pace (around 1min 24 a lap)and then  do a 3rd lap at 3k pace (1min 20) a lap.

5 reps, 2:30 recovery

Times as follows (as accurate as i could get them with my Garmi deciding not to want to stop and start as free as usual!)

1        1min 21, 1min 24,   1min22

2       1min 24, 1min 24,   1min 22

3      1min 22, 1min 24,   1 min 21

4    1min 24,  1min 24,    1min 22

5    1min 24,   1min 24, 1min 21

Therefore, 800m part done pretty consistently, and all the 3rd laps done quicker than the 2nd. Slightly slower than they should have been, but still felt like a good workout.

Definitely, more at home with these track sessions than the fartlek repeat style work, but I suppose we're still relatively new into these sessions.

track is 2miles from home, so session came to 10miles rather than 9...but I'm sure that doesn't overly cause any probs!image

Will do the 4m easy at around 5 or so. Feel pretty comfortable to be honest, so maybe should have worked harder on those last lapsimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4m fri evening...check.

Saturday up at 6am...running a 4miler at 7am...check (though tough at that time on a sat morning!)

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Another good work out, well done.  Sounds like some more fartlek style sessions are in order perhaps....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

gulpimage

got today's sessions done, 4m and a 7m with 100m x10.

A few smatterings of slight aches but nothing that screams anything apart from natural body responses to increase in training.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

I said i would want to run after the football, what are they playing at! Anyway managed to hold off till seven this morning and a very comfortable 20m in 2:29.

I don't think the missus would go much on me running twice a day on weekends SG.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's where you're going wrong...you need to get yourself singleimage..makes things easier!

Sounds like we do our long runs at a similar pace. What times do you do for halfs and marathons, you said your 5k and 10k aren't reflective of them, are you better over long distance?

20miles on a  saturday morning at 7am?! I felt a hero doing 4miles today at 7am. Saturday mornings are a step too far from me, and trust me I'm almost as disciplined as it gets!!

Although my monster 16miler is tomorrow at 7am though.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    I think we'll give you a couple of days off next week.  It's often a good idea to make the cutback week 1 in 3 (as opposed to 1 in 4) when increasing the mileage.
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Cutback week next week.  It'd be too easy to overdo it at this stage so try and hold back.

W/C 14/6

M:  OFF

T:  4m easy;  p.m. 7m {3m wup || 5 * 100m strides || 3 * (2* 400m) in 76 secs w / 100 jog; 400 jog between sets || cd}. 

W:  4m recovery

T:  4m easy; p.m. 8m {3m wup || 5 * 100m strides || 3m @ tempo, 0.5m @5k pace || cd. 

F:  4m easy; 5m easy

S:  16m easy.

S:  OFF

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Definitely better over longer distances with relation to times, should be 20+secs quicker 5k and 40secs+ 10k. Add to that i would be quicker over a half marathon now and its obvious what i need to improve. But how do you put speedwork in to training when you're increasing mileage in marathon preparation? Last thing i want is an injury, so the only times i run quick is the 5ks.

Any suggestions Moraghan?  Just found your blog, will have a proper look later. You really dont like the world cup! tut tut image

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Mee meep - I'd save the dedicated speedwork to post marathon because, as you intimate, building mileage should be your priority.  That shouldn't stop you from doing strides regularly though.

If your short distance times are out of whack then it would be a good idea to spend time focused on them rather than marathon training IMO.  I would expect your ultimate marathon time would probably be helped more by short distance training than another marathon, althoughI say that without knowing much about your background.

How can you support a simpleton like Rooney, or even feel that he is a worthwhile representative of a country that you support?  It completely baffles me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

16miler done today, a few off road stretches, including making sure the animals in a field or 2 weren't too angry , total time 2hours 04. Trained myself mentally by passing home on 13miles but having to carry on for another 3miles!

A cut back week seems sensible, a couple of slight aches.Day off tomorrow suits me, as have a half day at work, and last day of 3 world cup games image.

Oddest ache today and yesterday is a slight chest muscle ache, I've had this twice before, once when I went swimming for a very rare time, obviously taxed a muscle I never use as for about 3-4days had a really tight muscle feel! The other time running wise I think was after some faster work, where I must have been pumping my arms and chest more than usual!

This time is less of a feeling than either of those times, so am sure resting rest of today and all of tomorrow will make it 100%. Must have done the 10x100m in an odd style yesterdayimage

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Moraghan, I understand what you are saying about concentrating on shorter distances first. The main reason for running Abingdon is to get a GFA entry into London which will be a hell of alot easier than getting a ballot place. Then i can try and raise as much money for the Meningitis Trust as possible without having to worry about bonds and set levels.

It will be my first marathon and the plan after is to keep the mileage comfortably high, 60+, coupled with the base of the six months leading upto it to really have a go at some quick 10ks and halfs.

I think everyone expects Rooney to come out and say things like that, he doesnt come across as the most intelligent bloke. If he wears the England shirt and gives 100% i wont care what he says.

Moraghan, out of interest, are you English?

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭
    Scratch that last question Moraghan, just been reading your blog and see you are racing for GB in a few weeks time! Very impressed!  How do you think you will do? Has everything gone to plan training wise for yourself?
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Yes, English - but nationality is just a circumstance of fate.....

Fair enough with the plan.

Don't be too impressed as there's no selection involved in masters / veterans track athletics.  Bit of a weird set-up really.  Having said that I believe I stand a fair chance in the 800m, but less so in the 1500m unless the pace is very slow.  I've done a lot of training but it's been disrupted significantly at the wrong times by injury and weird travel issues.  Although I've been fortunate in that it's not been more than a couple of days at a time.

Everything hurts at this age, all the time.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

1/2 days this week so did the track session first and will do the 4m later

The mission... 3 x 2x400m in 76 a lap.

The presence of some fast muscular character up the track rather than the usual slowbies and kids, made me do a way too fast first rep, but it settled down to the below

69, <76   (garmin went wrong, so can't be sure on the 2nd rep...was definitely under 76 but definitely slower than 69....i'd guess 73-75)

76,76    (holding on to hit the 76s just)

Think I'd taken this sesh a bit for granted as only 6 reps, but turned out to be a good hard workout in the blazing heat!!

Last week's niggles have all gone away, now just a slight tight groin, but to be expected after some good hard efforts!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Age is all in the head Moraghan! image

Well there will be no running at all from me for a long time.  Using a grinder at work Monday and it jumped back on me, the end result is that im still in hospital, 2 operations to get my big toe reatached properly, and a long time without running coming up.  

All i want to do is get out and watch the football later. image

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Well done SG - onwards and upwards.  That session can be deceptively "awkward" in hot weather.

mee meep - shit, sorry to hear that.  Keep us posted, fingers crossed.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mee Meep..really bad news mate! swift recovery.

Slight tight groin, so I'm going to ensure I do a heck of a lot of stretching and strengthening on the groin (!) and around all the other areas.

Missed a few months in 07 with a groin strain...although in hindsight it was never that bad and all it needed was the correct stretching!

• Mee Meep, sorry to hear about your accident hope your recovery is going well and you have a TV by your bed for later this afternoon!