giving up

Comments

• Good start Tommy.image  Keep going.
  • Ok I am thinking that maybe I should do some sort of other exercise other than the normal Swim bike run stuff.

Should I do some sort of weights, I have heard mention of bells.image

or can some one recommend a non expensive non gym ( I don't do gyms) excercise routine to help with the reduction/strengthening of the Beer gut.(I suppose it called core) I could do sit-up and pressups but I need some structure or I will do it for a couple of days then get bored. image

Thanks in advanced

• Oh Kettlebells are fab.  I love them, cardio and weights.

Mr Shimms loves them too.

You dont need much room for them either.

Have a look on ebay, they do fairly cheap ones on there.

• Thats the thing Kettlebells, so what do they do and how do you use them ?
  • tell you what, if I send over that poster I want you to do *flutters eyelashes*, you can drop it off and I can take you down to our gym and you can have a go with ours to see if you like them before you buy?

• Shims Ok sounds like a dealimage I'll pm you my work e-mail addy
  • Better get designing then.

*gets out crayons*

• Tommy - I go to British Military Fitness classes in my local parks.  There might be some near you.  You can't help but be motivated there 'coz you don't have a choice!  I love it and it's great for core training + v sociable.  Plenty of lifting (of each other usually) and loads of press-ups.

www.britmilfit.com

• Parky - Can't do that it involves handing over money also the nearest one to me is not very convenient timing wise.
  • Well done on making the decision to quit the fags Tommy, just think of all the lovely big golden pennies you'll be saving.  As for the beer, we only drink on Friday & Saturday (unless we're on holiday), the other nights we just tell ourselves its a school night and we're up at stupid o'clock in the morning.

If you buy any copy of Mens Health/Fitness they have an at-home exercise routine in them... and even if they do feature a fancy shmancy bit of machinery you can usually work out a way of doing the same exercise with free weights.  Mr CS has ripped out a couple of kettlebell workouts from previous mags which I could photocopy & send to you if you wanted, once you've had a play with Shimms of course.

• Caz, give back the purple crayon, I need it for the sky in my piccie
  • *hands over soggy crayon*  Sorry... It was just sat there looking at me... image

Ooooh and as for what you had to eat the other day Tommy... IS THAT IT???   How on earth do you manage to train on so little food???  I have porridge with honey for breakfast (made with skimmed milk), fruit mid-morning, a fist sized jacket spud with tuna/beans/leftover chili & a low fat yogurt for lunch, a banana mid-afternoon and then something substantial but healthy for tea... bolognese/stir fry/casserole/shepherds pie etc.  And that's when I'm dieting...  image

• I agree *wipes gob off crayon* that's not much.

Be careful you dont send your body into starvation mode, you will then hold on to every bit of fat you eat.

It's a fine balance and it will take a while to figure your intake but you will get there.

• CazSoul wrote (see)

*hands over soggy crayon*  Sorry... It was just sat there looking at me... image

Ooooh and as for what you had to eat the other day Tommy... IS THAT IT???   How on earth do you manage to train on so little food???  I have porridge with honey for breakfast (made with skimmed milk), fruit mid-morning, a fist sized jacket spud with tuna/beans/leftover chili & a low fat yogurt for lunch, a banana mid-afternoon and then something substantial but healthy for tea... bolognese/stir fry/casserole/shepherds pie etc.  And that's when I'm dieting...  image

Thats is the problem Caz I don't eat much, never have been a big eater, and I do try to stick with healthy stuff. I think its the beer and wine which is the problem. Plus sitting a desk all day for to many years.

I have only been running for 2.5 years and I lost quite a lot initially but seem to have got stuck.

Hey ho ....change of life style is required I think.

• The whole appetite thing could be down to the beer/wine... You're getting more than enough calories from them.  My ex & his sister (it was a family thing) were both big drinkers (alcoholics the pair of them), and neither of them ate very much... but when he gave up the booze (he managed to stay sober for 5 years) he found that he wanted to eat more. So you might find that your appetite returns with a vengeance...
  • Well I have been quite restraint tonignt and only watched the first half in the pub. Got an 80 mile ride tomorrowimage  

Still at least i'll be ready for tomorrow image

• I was forced to watch the whole game.  You didn't miss anything image

Enjoy your ride image

• Good luck for the bike ride Tommy, sounds like you're doing well and staying positive image
  • Ok the 80 miles turned into 56 miles as it got windier and windier with heavy rain showers.

But it felt like 80 image

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    Well done Tommy.   I did  think about you as I saw the wind gusting away.
  • ok

i have decided not to drink for moth and see how it goesimage

ihave had a few beers tonight image but I am determind too lose weight so new start tommor.image

• Well bit of a rash decision to say I'm not going to drink for a month.

When I got home last night my wife had a G&T waiting for me..I couldn't refuse. image

Anyhoo no beer for a few days and healthy eating plenty of running and cycling and I feel loads better.

Not sure if I have lost any weight yet but just feel healthier than normal.

oh and I have cut down on the weed tooimage 

• Dont worry about the weight at the mo.  One thing at a time.  Smoking first and getting healthier.

Glad you are feeling better.  image

• G n T - a good choice - all that hydrating tonic.image

I haven't had a drink for ages due mainly to training and the fact that I cycle everywhere and can't really wobble around the city half-cut on my bike.  So there's another option for you - cycle to all your social things and you won't be tempted to drink so much or maybe not at all.

• thats a really good idea.

• Parklife wrote (see)

G n T - a good choice - all that hydrating tonic.image

I haven't had a drink for ages due mainly to training and the fact that I cycle everywhere and can't really wobble around the city half-cut on my bike.  So there's another option for you - cycle to all your social things and you won't be tempted to drink so much or maybe not at all.

No thats not such a good idea, unless I by a cheap second hand bike, I'm not going to be leaving my shiny new expensive bike anywhere. image Plus I have bit of a history of falling of bike when dru..socalisingimage
  • If I go out to a pub or elsewhere, I usually ask staff if they have a safe place I can lock my bike up, otherwise I use 2 locks.  I don't have an expensive bike but I wouldn't like to lose it as it's my only mode of transport and the thing I train on.

• TG wrote: Plus I have bit of a history of falling of bike when dru..socalisingimage
    You won't be drunk, because you're cycling home, remember? image
  • Banana and cup of tea for breaky image

I don't normally have anything, but I understand that thats bad especially after running. So I am making an effort to eat something each day before I go to workimage

me healthy eating eh who had thought itimage