Headington 5

Hello, just decided to follow Pizza Man's suggestion and do the Headington 5 on 25 August. Anyone else out there doing it?

It will probably turn out to more of a regular run than a real race for me, but I dont care, it will be my first ever race (so automatic PB!), and that's what makes it exciting.

Cheers,
Hild

Comments

• I'm in! My first 5 miler so also a PB. Good luck cycling there. I hope the course is flat 'cos I'm fed up with picking runs with hills (Wycombe Half, Bearbrook 10!!)
  • I think it's generally flat, with the beginning bit (along the dual carriage way) going uphill, whilst the end bit (Marston Ferry Road) goes downhill.

I only live a few miles from the start, so getting there will be my warm-up! I just registered today, so I hope I get my race number beforehand!

Good luck!
  • Hi Hildegard,

Am I right in thinking this is your first race since school? If so,

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY

I won't be doing it myself as it's a little bit too far to go.
    All the best
    PM
  • Yes PM, you are right as rain. I'm really nervous about it, mainly because I haven't been feeling one hundred percent over the past few days. I've been trying to eat more this past week, but feeling unwell has sabotaged that. Oh well, I was out until 4am last night, but tonight I'm teetotal, and shall be getting to bed earlier!

I would like to run it in 50 minutes, but my main goal is not to walk! I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
    Hild
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck Hildegard, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just enjoy it and don't worry what anyone around you is doing. Let us know how you get on.
  • Hi all,

Just home from the race, where I got a stunning all time PB of 43 minutes!! So I'm very pleased. Met a couple of friends at the start, so my anonymity was gone, but they sped away quite quickly! I started off slowly, which enabled me to pace myself and not burn out too soon, as well as speed up at the end and pass lots of people.

I haven't been awake this early on a Sunday in ages, so it's quite a novel experience all in all!

Nobby, how did you get on?

Cheers,
    Hild
  • Hi Hildegard

Well done on your time. I'm also very pleased with my 36 mins. Coming from High Wycombe it makes a change to run on the flat for once!!!

Does this mean you have got the bug for some more races???
  • Well done Nobby. I'm racing again this Thursday, once more in Oxford, a 4 miler. After that, I'd like to do more, but I have to start working like mad again on my thesis, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spare. Plus, I have to beg people for grant money so that I can actually do this amazing postdoc that I've been offered next year.

Perhaps I'll choose a 10K in a few more months? What are your upcoming racing plans?
  • Go Girl
    2 races in a week. Doesn't sound so good on the thesis and begging front though!!

I am taking it easy for the next month before I compete in the Amersham 5 on 22nd Sept and the Windsor Half Marathon on 29th Sept. I'm hoping to get under 1:50 in the Windsor race so I've got to get some serious training in.

What's the thesis on... anything to do with the Hildegard moniker??
  • As my Thursday race is one mile less than Sunday's, I'm not nervous like I was before! Good luck for Windsor, as it will soon be here.

The thesis is on medieval English/Norse literature. So, basically I have no life, but it will all be worth it in the end. Hildegard was a German mystic nun. I, however, am not.