sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Guy in our club cracked 4 hours in his only marathon on only 3 quality runs per week!

I'm jealous. I've stuck to 5 runs per week and of the 2 marathons I've done 4.03 is the best. My current training for Dublin has been so disrupted with injuries that I've only averaged 4 runs per week and fewer long runs so should be interesting to see what happens on 27th. Don't think I've got a chance of sub 4.
  • Hi Guys

I am hoping for 3.59 it will be my first marathon and really excited.I will do 5-6 training sessions a week...will need all the help I can get.Just done my 1st half marathon in 1.50.56 and need too build back my mileage I was on 50 miles a week think I will break 35 this week with my long run tomorrow.

Good luck everyone with your training
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • i'm sure that you CAN do a sub 4 using a three or four day training schedule, but you'll be a better man/woman than i...

the thought is that for carthorses, the sub 4 don't come easy and needs some real grit and application. for me that was the 5 day schedule.

now then, given that my longest run since april 13th has been 2.5 miles, there's a bit of distacne to travel for my dear self (ahem)!!
  • I run 4 days a week and do about 35miles and have been running for about 6 months.
    Just done my first 2 half marathons in 1.30 and 1.27 at Bristol and Stroud.I dont do any speedwork i just give it all every time i go out and next year my target is a 3.15 full marathon and within 3 years i want to qualify for London(3 hrs im 30 now.)
    I believe if you want something so badly and work your guts of you will get it.
    GO FOR IT GUYS.
  • sorry i meant Cricklade not Stroud thats next week.
  • Liverpool Half done in 1.49.58, so everything going to plan so far. Now need to increase those long runs at the weekend.
  • Would love to achieve this i have my acceptance through, after being rejected 5 times.
  • Where have all you sub-4hr folks gone?

I managed my long run of 15 (and a bit) miles this weekend. The "and a bit" was me getting lost - I have a true girlie sense of direction - but all in all it was more fun than I expected. Its certainly taken some of the fear away and I'm now feeling much more positive about FLM training.

• I too managed a long run of 14 miles this weekend in 2.06 and build my mileage back up too 43 miles which I was very pleased about.

Well done M on your long run !

I too believe if you want it badly enough and willing too work your pants off you can achieve what you want too achieve.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    12 for me this weekend. I'm still on for sub4 but keeping quietish 'til I know whether I'm in.

Higs
  • 000h welsh poppy - you're ever so quick - no trouble on the under 4 hours for you

My 15.7 miles took me 2hrs 52! Mind you I wasn't exactly sprinting.
  • M. I don't think I am-hope you are right about under 4 hours would be great for a 1st marathon.

You took a steady pace and that is what it is all about building time on legs there is plenty of time...Good luck with your training!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • no need to worry about speed too much yet i think.am still keeping off my feet and on the elliptical cross trainer to try and keep my shin recovring.next stage is to get some new shoes and then i'll take to the roads in a couple of weeks time..if i can resist.
  • Hello Alex.

Here's a link to a great pic. It's of a water station at this year's Chicago marathon. Sadly I didn't take it - I got it from someone on the RW US site. I don't know how to make it into a hyperlink (complaint - the US site software does it for you) so you'll all just have to copy it into your browser. It's not the water station that's interesting, it's the Nike poster in the background above it.

If this doesn't give people inspiration, I don't know what will.

http://images.andale.com/f2/125/117/914703/1068535188730_billboard
  • nice acupuncture yesterday.

mr chinese doctor stuck these 4 inch long needles in my back and said i'll leave you there for a few minutes. easy.

he then returned and put electric current through them that crackled, arc-ed and fizzed and left me in mind of marty feldman and the frankenstein monster in that film (name???). not quite so easy. ha.

followed by a well deserved body massage from a nice japanese lady "i love you long time, yes". and some crushed animals to take during the week.

am also having physio and running about 5x 3 miles per week

so as alex would say - no need to worry about distance or speed yet !!

the good news is that i have lost 5 lbs in the last couple of weeks - no grog during the week.

"it's a mighty long way to the oriole" as Mott the Hoople sang in " All the way from Memphis"
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Am reluctant to post on here as I'm not in yet and am superstitious about tempting fate and all that ...

But - I'm hoping for a 3:45 time now, I think. I did Windsor as my first half in 1:51 on about 20 miles a week over 4 sessions. I actually didn't find Windsor that hilly <ducks to avoid flying objects hurled at head> as the hills I run on normally are tougher. There was one nasty one around 10 miles but other than that I thought it was a nice course.

Am working on building mileage up to about 40 miles a week over 5-6 sessions until mid-January, then I've decided on Hal Higdon's Intermediate II schedule, joining it at the 30 miles a week point (I think 'step back' weeks are a good idea when you're increasing mileage and pace).
  • Minkin
    We seem too be at the same level of training and same result for a 1st half although I did build up too 50 miles a week.

I intend too run 45 miles at least over 5 sessions until end Of November when the serious training begins!!!

I too believe in step back mileage and it really does work during my programme I followed there were no step back and being a novice struggled until my coach advised me too back off and it worked wonders.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I'm not starting a schedule till late December / early January but am hoping to build mileage to about 35 miles before then. Doing 20-25 at the moment.

My first 1/2 wasn't too good - did 2.11 at Lake V but that was off weekly mileage varying between 5-15!

I'm really hoping that increasing the mileage and running 5 days a week will help. My second half marathon is coming up in just over a week so I'll let you know if its helped so far!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi WP,

I'm not planning to start my serious training until mid-January. I'll already be doing more mileage by then than at the start of the Hal Higdon programme, so it makes sense to me to build to 50 miles a week after the 8 weeks of getting to 40 miles I've just planned. I'm currently running on 6 days a week but may reduce that to 5 once I start getting in some 'pace' sessions as I may get more tired. M, I'm sure that just increasing mileage will result in a better time. I thought 1:51 was pretty good off only 20 miles a week (and less than that on quite a few occasions, especially in the 4 weeks before the race). I'm hoping to get to 1:40 on increased mileage. Am aiming for 3:45 in London (although with a secret hankering for 3:30).
  • don't post much these days but if i get in to FLM i'll be aiming for 3h59 having started my marathon mission at Dublin in 3 days time where I will be hoping to finish.

• sorry that was me not M. Must stop doing that or she'll kill me.
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Alex !!
    You kept this thread quiet from me !!!!!

And keep your eye on Welsh Poppy.... she's a girl who's going places !!!!!!
  • george-hadn't thought you'd be here-more like 3.30!

trying to stave off pent up desire to go and run a lot,i have a streaming cold and another week should see my shin restored.but i have a new pair of shoes and the itch is building....
  • Now I have got the hang of how all the profiles work choose a nickname done a picture I can get back to running.

Did my first 13.2mile outside run last week managed a time of 1:52.08, which I was very happy with then disaster, on Tuesday I was doing a gently 5 miles (on a tread mill) got towards the end of the run when I got a pain in the outside of my left foot anyone got any ideas what this could be, never happened before and I got no warning.

I intend to rest it for a week (good excuse not to do the 15.2 miles I had planned for this weeks long run) and see how it goes. Will do some upper body weight work to stop me going completely mad.
  • George-- the only place I am going is the Old Folks home!!!!!

Alex-Hope you are able too get out running soon it would kill me not too run.

How is training going everyone??
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    training - nothing last week due to a cold. Out last night for club run (hill session) and suffering for it this morning (which must be good right?)

Higs
  • well i went to dublin to watch all the forum stars in the marathon. and i drank lots of guinness. does that count?

seriously though i managed to put in 6 miles on the treadmill while i was there. will be doing 6 in the rain today and a few on friday followed by stevenage 1/2 marathon on sunday.

weekly predicted mileage 28. target for this week - a sub 2hr 1/2 marathon.
  • Getting into my running club's XC races and training - it's the hardest running I've ever done and hoping that this will be extremely beneficial for endurance training.

The coaches state that 4 miles XC is as good for you as 8 miles road. It's also great to mix up the training as the 12-14 week programmes can get a bit dull as you move into serious marathon build up.

Two weeks and a bit to go to next half marathon (St Neots, 16 Nov - anyone running?). Hoping for a sub 1.48 (which would be a PB) and then it's a steady increase in the weekly mileage.

If I don't get into FLM I'm off to Paris on 4 April for my sub 4. Anyone else got a back up plan?
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Might also consider Paris if I don't get into London. Two friends of mine live there and both are running the Paris marathon.
  • It has been an up and down week for me with training, but have finished on 55 miles with my long run of 15 miles tomorrow.Hope all your training is going well long may it continue!!!

Good luck M. On Sunday you can do it!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression