Travel Insurance - Marathon

Hi All,

I'm training for Berlin and thought about time I sorted travel insurance.

So far I've had two quotes - Neither of which cover marathons (From Columbus and Liverpool Victoria). Seems a bit silly to me - I bet us runners are in the group of people least likely to need to make a claim...being fit and healthy! Although I do see that there is a small element of risk in running a Marathon.

Can anyone recommend a Travel insurance provider who covers Marathons?

Thank you,

Simon.

Comments

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

http://www.jsinsurance.co.uk/travel_insurance/hazardous_activities/AUL/a.html

Athletics track events (incl long distance running) covered under normal travel policy under the hazardous activities section

• Direct Travel also covers marathon events.  I've been using them for ski & adventure cover for a few years.  Their customer service is top-notch.  I haven't claimed, but I know people who have.  They even paid out when that volcano kicked off.
  • Wow, 4 replies within ½ hr, I'm impressed.

Thanks muchly all for the suggestions, I'll get some quotes tommorow.
  • I have an annual policy with Fortis through Swinton. When I asked them to check if I was covered for the Paris marathon the girl on the phone went to find out and came back with 'are you likely to win it?'. When I'd stopped laughing and assured her I wouldn't unless 10,000 people took a wrong turn, she said 'well, that's all right then'. So I think 'recreational' running is OK, as long as you're not an elite, which would be different.
  • Must say I've never given it a thought.  I have travel insurance through my bank which I use for all my trips, racing or otherwise. 

If it's for Berlin (which I'm doing too) wouldn't a European Health Insurance card cover any medical help you need while you're out there?

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

When I asked about 'racing' overseas I already had ski cover which is apparently more dangerous so I was covered for the less hazardous marathon.

I nearly didn't get my visa for India a few years ago. I put on the form that I was going on holiday. At the embassy I managed to let slip that I was going to be doing a running event and they didn't understand that that was indeed a holiday and no I wasn't likely to win. Perhaps I should have gone back on my return to show them the results - with me in wooden spoon position!

• RR - Interesting point, as one of the people I spoke to mentioned the word 'competitive' although to be honest I didn't listen properly! Then again, another company definatley said Marathons are not covered, but running is, and there was no option to add-on dangerous sports cover.

UK - Yes, the EHIC (Previously E111) will cover you for health care within Europe, but...It won't cover you for emergency transport home, or even assisted medical travel.

Incidentally, I also have travel insurance through my bank, but it doesn't cover the rest of the family...They wanted £44 just to add my wife to the policy, compared to around £15 for a new policy from else where covering both of us!
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Have a look on Money Supermarket.  You'll find dirt cheap travel insurance and some of them will cover you for the marathon.  I had no trouble finding one that would cover me for Ironman a couple of years ago.
  • Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I have an annual policy with Fortis through Swinton. When I asked them to check if I was covered for the Paris marathon the girl on the phone went to find out and came back with 'are you likely to win it?'. When I'd stopped laughing and assured her I wouldn't unless 10,000 people took a wrong turn, she said 'well, that's all right then'. So I think 'recreational' running is OK, as long as you're not an elite, which would be different.
    RR - your post really made me laugh, thanks (nice hamster too!! image).
  • Good job I checked. My RBS policy doesn't cover marathon running (although it's not listed as an exclusion). I could take out the hazardous activity extension (for £50) but that's only valid for charity events. Will do some more investigating nearer Berlin.
  • Just looked at Direct Travel and they seem pretty reasonable
  • I have Ski insurance with Direct Travel and the one time we've had to claim they have been very good. I certainly couldn't praise them enough for their customer service.

• Hey All/Anyone who finds this thread!

Thought I should do the right thing and post back to say I eventually went with Tesco Finance - £11 for my Wife and I for a 3 day single trip policy. I checked that they cover Marathons.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! image
  • Hey,

I am trying to find insurance for Berlin marathon also and checked with Tesco and the man on the phone quoted me £120 for the 3 days that i will be out there. Did you pay for yours online or on the phone?

Ollie
  • Ollie, I got my Berlin insurance through Direct Travel (link above).  Cost me £14 but I did get the all-singing, all-dancing policy. 
  • Thank you, I was unsure of who to go for. I will have a look at them now and good luck for next Sunday!!!
  • Ta, you too.

I wasn't sure who to go for either but thought the cover looks good and I'll have my ordinary travel insurance too so it was really the race cover that was needed.

• djwolf wrote (see)

Athletics track events (incl long distance running) covered under normal travel policy under the hazardous activities section

• Just checked JS Insurance and the quote for an 11 day holiday to sri lanka went from £30+ to £90+ when I added marathon running! - Not under the normal policy any more then! Dogtag has marathon running listed as extreme sport and so £81 - it has to get better than that surely!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Tesco's travel insurance covers marathon running..as long as you're not doing it professionally.  I rang them to check.

• I've gone for www.essentialtravel.co.uk - it was covered in their standard insurance, so only £25 for worldwide

• most sports travel insurance policies will cover amateurs for competing in events like marathons - they won't cover you if you are a professional athlete. and many exclude the most hazardous sports like parachuting, climbing Everest etc.

if you partake in a number of sports outside the UK that insurers deem "hazardous" - and I include here things like marathons, skiing, cycling, triathlon, mountain biking, mountaineering etc  plus those that many do on holiday as a fun day like jet skiing, white water rafting,etc, then you really should consider an annual sports cover policy as it saves a huge amount of faffing come travel time.  many of these polcies will also include general holiday cover for illness, repatriation, baggage loss etc.

we're with Dogtag and have previously used Snowcard but there are others such as the BMC (British Mountaineering Council who offer wider ranging insurance), Sports Cover Direct etc.  our annual policy is about £200 for 2 of us and covers us for extreme conditions such as off piste helicopter rescue while skiing without a guide - that's about extreme a rescue as you would need!  well worth the comfort factor of knowing it's there.

• I was recently informed by my club, Road Runners, that I was covered for running (home and abroad) by the Clubs insurance, so no need to buy additional cover.image

• I've got medical and travel cover with AXA PPP, they cover marathons as long as I'm not competing professionally (never going to happen!) image

• I think Endsleigh do a specific sports cover too.

Triathlon England (or Scotland/Wales). Membership includes limited personal cover for training and racing for cycling, running and swimming activities at home or abroad. It also covers things like cycle commuting when you're here. However, it does say "This policy is not a substitute for medical insurance; especially when travelling and competing abroad it is strongly recommended that members take out relevant travel and medical insurance." 

• thanks for the thread.  checked our annual insurance part of a bank credit card which has pretty good travel insurance but exclude marathons (we checked( grrrrrrr!) 

Then holiday was booked with virgin so checked their cover first call £60 each for 9 day USA holiday including disney marathon, rang back to get it to save time now £75 each (grrrrrrr).

So tried this thread, looked at dogtag and direct. Direct cheaper and excellent phone service so plumped for them £20 each for travel insurance and £10 extra for marathon cover seemed reasonable and instant cover . Hope we dont have to find out how good they are for clains!

Cheers