Shifnal 'Steeplechase' Half-Marathon

Quite fancy this one.

Anyone got any info on surface / undulations etc??

Many thanks

Rich O

Comments

• Richard, it's mainly on the road, with 2 or 3 sections off road. There are some hills (it's Shropshire so there's no getting away from hills) although nothing too aggressive. This was my first HM last year and I could only remember the uphill bits, but I've run a lot more hills in the 12 months since and in hindsight realise it wasn't so bad.

If it's any sort of recommendation, I'm back for this again this year and hoping to beat the 1hr 47 I set myself last year.

• Colin Gallop- Thanks very much for your info.

I think I will come along and have a go! image

Many Thanks.

Rich O

• Did fancy this myself (old school of mine). I might even see people I know.

Nice scenery, hills not bad really not like yorkshire. The even I believe is well organised and marshalled.

I have a half marathon (Humber Bridge) weekend before so I will make mind up on the Saturday.

So go and enjoy!

• Sounds good, might enter this on the day if it's not too hot.
  • Hi all,

I thought you would need to be aware that if you suffer from Hayfever, Allergic reactions to nettle stings etc be warned. The cross country parts of the route is rather over grown due to the great weather we are having, I can't wait till the race its going to be a hot one!

• Good news all,

The organisers have responded to my request and they have cut down those pesky nettles. Thank you! 

• but it's been raining since then...Sarah you know what the nettles are like round here..especially the ones around the sewage beds out on the course, they're massive! image

honestly folks.. it's a great race, not hilly more like undulating. Its usually run on the hottest day of the year which now, after the recent weather, means its going to be blooming waaarm if the record is to be maintained.

Im not doing it though. I have a summer man flu cold. Its touch and go if I pull through...

• Well I've just done the Humber Bridge Half Marathon last weekend (27.06.10) on the hottest day of the year 33 degree heat this is my first one so far (2hrs 26mins) so I'm won't be out to run now having a break. Just going to take it easy and run with my club for the rest of Summer until Sept when I have another half marathon.

So good luck to everyone who's taking part.

C..

• alanj best you rest up, that man flu can be a killer

As for Cheryl's excuse, running on a very warm day is no reason to miss a run through the pleasant Shropshire countryside a week later. It's not as though you've got man flu now, is it? image

Both of you, enjoy your rest.

• Indeed the nettles are massive. However checked the weather forcast its going to be 25 degrees with light rain its gona be a hot one this year!!

Alan and cheryl, rest up and hope to see you on next years race.

• Hi all

Im looking at this event but unsure whether to enter i've only done one half before and not trained to much over the last couple of weeks due to the hot hot weather ( i work early mornings driving so bed by 1930) but it looks like a nice course. I just don't want to be coming in when everyone is packing away lol what sort of times are ran at this event?

Darrell image 

• Darrell, last years results are on the Idsall school website. Last couple in ran it in 3hrs 5mins, everyone else was round in under 2hrs 37mins.
  • racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just to add I will be at the event again this year taking photos.  Please check out those that I took last year at 2 mile and 11 miles.

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/shifnal_1.htm

Please note my photos are totally free to download and I will even send you the high resolution resolution original if asked, again at no charge.

Not sure if you have checked out the interactive map of the course which gives photos of various locations around the route.

http://www.idsall.shropshire.sch.uk/Steeplechase/Route%20Map%2007.htm  [Date not been updated]

All have a good one.

kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Had a really good run today, beat the PB I set myself in my debut HM at the same event last year by 28 seconds.

Still a challenging race, fantastic organisation again and the marshalls were great.

Thanks to Bryan Dale for supporting the event and taking the photos. I even bumped into him at the pub in Gailey, he must have worked up a bit of a thirst lugging all that camera gear around.

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

He-he, only a cappuccino Colin  Gallop.

Well done on your PB.

I usually have Steak and Ale pie, followed by Apple Crumble. image 

Not today though,  you lot so inspired me that I drove straight afterwards to Trentham Woods and did a right rapid 50 min. I keep telling myself it did me a lot more good. image

With the help of Walter an injured Trenham runners, I think I will have about 600 photos from the race to upload onto the Internet.

Kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• FFirst time doing this and had a great time.  Big thanks to All involved and to Bryan Dale as seeing him always makes me run stronger, at least until after the snap is taken image
  • On the day of the race in 2009 I was ill and shouldn't have run, but I did. I had a nightmare (as Bryan's brilliant photographs proved! More on Bryan later!). This years race was much better for me - though I must have been 'out of it' last year as I didn't remember a couple of the nasty hills! The course is superb and has a bit of everything. I really enjoyed it and this is on my calendar every year. The Oranges (as well as Bananas!) at the end were a great touch. The course is very picturesque in parts and very safe too. I like the fact that it's not a massive field (161 runners this year).

It was really great to see Bryan Dale back again. This bloke is a legend in my eyes and I can't speak highly enough of him. Bryan is the race photographer. His photo's of the 2010 Shifnal Half are here : http://www.racephotos.org.uk/index.htm

If you want top quality high-res copies of your picture/s, just email Bryan (there's a link on the web site) and he will email cropped copies to you - ALL FOR FREE! Makes a change to not have to pay £10ish to get a small print (ie, at all the other races I've ever done).

If you're reading this Bryan, a BIG Thank You from all the runners and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you're back next year!

Ade.

• I totally agree with Adrian Kenny regarding massive fields.

I did consider running the Black Country Half Marathon on the day before, but when I considered the price of entry and a field of 1000, it just didn't tick any boxes for me.

I have run the Steeplechase twice before, but this time I got a PB so I am chuffed.  I enjoy the three "off road sections", kind of breaks things up a bit.  Will definitely be back next year.

Another deciding factor was I knew Bryan would be there taking photos. I always check out Racephotos to see where he will next.  A "bonus edition" this time, not "two-for-one" but five photos.  A big thank you Bryan.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this race very much -- a bit too much judging by Bryan's photo of me in the latter stages (thanks very much for the free pics there Bryan, very splendid to make those available) -- I was saving a bit of oomph to for this Sat to see if my V40 legs can manage a 5k at any speed.
  • Indeed, in an era of extortionate prices, the service that Bryan and his fellow photographer offered on the day is unsurpassed. To get that number of photos at any major race would wipe out over £100 from your bank account and we all love a momento of the day, no matter how rough we look at the end.

Keep up the good work Bryan, you provide a much appreciated service to us runners.

Thank you

Next up for me, Indian Queens HM in Cornwall on the 1 Aug, guarantee that's going to be a warm day.

• Has everyone seen these pictures from the race?

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/shifnal_1.htm

They are fantastic, and are also free of charge which is so nice these days!!

Thanks for getting me with both feet off the ground Bryan !!
  • A belated thank you to Hot Tub Alci for your super, duper comment.

Honestly, it's reassuring to know that there is somone out there looking at the photos.  image

Racephotos has now had over 625,000 hits and is going from strength-to-strength.

Thanks to everyone who supports the web site.

• You going to Wolves Bryan?
  • Hi Hot Tub Alci, yes, God willing and fine weather I hope to be taking photos at this year's Wolverampton-Marathon and Half Marathon on the 5th of September.

I am based in Newcastle-under-Lyme,  but the Marathon is a league race for North Staffs runners and I try to cover all league races.

Last year I was at about the 10 mile mark and I think it will be the same this year.

Cheers.

Bryan

• Cool - Done the half loads of times, but for some stupid idea I've signed up for the full so may see you twice image
  • I hope you have a good one Hot Tub Alci.

I ran the second lap with a friend a couple of year's ago and the thing I remember most was a feeling of "is there anyone else in the race". 

About 1,500 runners on the first lap, dwindles to several hundred on the second.  It felt a bit strange, all the camaraderie, banter and support you get between runners just wasn't there. 

That said, I still want a big smile when you pass me on that second lap.  image

Cheers.

Bryan

• If your still there, I'll be a smiling!

I've heard alot of folk saying about no support on the 2nd lap. Oh well !