Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the offer, but I best not take another race on right now, maybe Harry will take you up on it?

That Anooray guy is very fast indeed, a 31min 10k man, different class.

10miles in 61 in training sheash! That's only 20-30seconds than I raced a 10miler in April!

I've got 6months to weigh the club situation up. The only thing is keeping the same club on would mean having to compete under their name, which might seem odd if I don't train there, although I'd be doing just that in the xc league!

The main sticking point is that we have a yearly club championship which rewards participation as much as fast times. It definitely doesn't aid peak performance doing loads of races like our championsship demands, so I think I'd take the chance to build properly and peak for  target events.

I could just do the odd race, but I don't like the idea of coming say 23rd in the championship lol.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Well done on the PB SG, that's a good effort.

If I were you I'd be at the club which gives you the best competitive opportunities and the one that will ultimately help you get quicker.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Mr M you've been missed!

And agreed, Maidenhead seems to be the club that fits the bill. Out of the 3 5ks and positions of 4th 4th and 6th, I've lost to 3 guys from Maidenhead alone. And they have other guys who haven't run this series either!

I think it's time to move from best in a very poor pool to worst in a good pool!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    cheeky little 3miler last evening to ease the day off, 6miler in a while now..and my last half day of the world cup!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

7miler this morn with 7x100m stride type affairs thrown in.

Takes the week so far to 51miles. Talked Moraghan into allowing 2 easy runs on Monday totalling 10miles when it was due to be a rest day, and didn't take up the choice of the rest day Thursday, so might bin off the planned second run tonight. (4mile easy)

That will leave a 14miler tomorrow to give a  65mile week which seems a sensible outcome.

Next racing exploits come thick and fast, 3 races in 8 days starting from Tue 13th with a 5k, a half marathon (or 10k if i bottle it), Sunday 18th and finishing with a 5k on Tue 20th July.

The half and 10k are my local race that includes a big mile long hill, and the 2 5ks are laps of fields, so not expecting pbs on these 3, but will still be some good racing.

•  hi stevie g do you have a day of before a race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

used to, but nowadays tend to do at least a 4miler on the day before.

For a 5k evening race even doa  4miler at lunch.

•  thaks stevie g used to, but tend to do a 4 miles on the day, can you please can me the reason, thanks
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well it seems that a run on the day of an evening race boosts performance in the evening run...obviously easy pace nothing silly, and only 5-10k racing.

Did this my last 3 5ks, and have got pbs each time...so seems to be working.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

14miler in 1hr 43 tops the week off, 65miles.

Did the course of the half marathon in 2weeks just to remind myself about the hills and undulations!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

this week's schedule just confirmed... 55.5miles, week after has  3 races to finish the summer schedule.

M  : OFF

T  am   4m      pm 8.5m  (3m warm up, 3000m at 17:10 5k pace, 15min recovery 1600m fast as possible,  CD.

W     am   4m recovery         pm       4m

T     14m LSR

F    am  4m easy   pm  6m easy

S   7m easy including  10x100m fast relaxed progressive and 4m

S  OFF

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well...resisted running today...just  image.

Tomorrow evening session will probably thank me for it though...

• Well done SG, your body will thank you I'm sure.

First session of my BIG 3 weeks last night. 4x2km (6m49, 6m48, 6m47, 6m55). First rep was fairly unejoyable, as was the second uphill but seemed to get into it after that.

Easy run today, followed by long run with 8miles at 6min pace tomorrow. Fun. Enjoy your run today, looks like a lung buster.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice session Harry! I tend to fare better at the shorter stuff, so hopefully will go better in a 1 x3k session than I would in a 4 x 2km affair!

looking forward to a simple 4mile easy run first, nice and warm

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Hi Stevie G,I read this thread with great interest. You seem so committed to your training, I'm well impressed. I find it so hard to do an AM run before work if I know I can run in the evening! Your mad! But I bet your legs are loving the day off, always seems a fantastic idea to run a rest day until the day after! Quick question - my long run is 14miles on a Sunday. How long should be my 2nd longest run be? As I think their is quite a disparity between the two! Cheers.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Howdy my near forum namesake! I must say it has taken years to get to a position where 50-60miles a week is so comfortable. The first time I attempted doubles in 2006, with a run in the morn and a run in the evening I lasted 4 days and was wrecked. I find lunchtime and evening works pretty well.

To answer your question I'd say it depends what kind of mileage you do, and what your training aim is? Otherwise you fall into the trap I used to fall into of just running willy nilly, and doing all my runs at medium hard pace rather than the current easy or hard.

If you were training like me, my next longest run tends to be about a 9 but this is typically a speedwork day where half is the session and half is warm up and cool down.

That happened to me, I manage about 40 miles at the moment. Tried a slow 4 miles AM and a track session PM (Tues and Thurs) and by Friday was in bits! I feel like I am running willy nilly at the moment. I have to run my longer runs easy as my legs can't take the speed sessions otherwise. My 2nd run is 7 miles but that just another slow paced run like my 14 miler. My target is to move from a 39:30 10k to sub 39min.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well you can do that in 2 ways..simply ramping up the mileage over time like I did...or by being a bit wiser like I'm trying to be now! I got down to 37mins for 10k simply by doing 50miles a week random wily nilly for a year and a half or so....if you're already doing good speedwork and a regular long run i'd imagine you should get there quicker.

What age are you if you don' mind me asking, and how does your week's training look, especially your speed sessions? and what paces do you do each session at?

I'm 27, been running just under a year properly. Gone from a 49min 10k to 39:30min May '09 to 10'. That about sums me up! Only ran under 40 once but been close several times on slower courses and hotter days!

My training is (if all goes to plan)

Sun - long run 2hours/14miles

Monday - recovery 3-4 miles

Tuesday - track

Wednesday - 5 to 7 miles slow (usually 5 to be honest)

Thursday - track

Friday - recover 3-4 miles or rest

Sat -Hills or tempo

The track sessions vary in nature usually 400 to 1000m reps. I aim for consistency so 10 x 400 will be about 76second reps. 5 x 800 will be 2:45 (i think) and 1000m reps will be about 3:35 to 3:45. I'm changing a track club session into a tempo run as I sometimes run out of steam by Saturday so feel I will gain more by doing it ealier in the week. My tempo runs are 5-6k at 4,10min per km pace. There is probably a lot wrong with that but I've tried to digest what I read here and cover all bases.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'll have a proper look later, but my first thought is that those track sessions are a bit quick for your current level, as I'm typically doing 400metre reps for 5k training at 79 secs a lap, and you're doing 76secs a lap for 10k training!

I've been told it's wisest to train at current fitness, not desired fitness. If you're doing  76sec laps, that's in effect pretty much 5mins a mile pace, and you'r current 10k pace is 6:20 a mile pace? Therefore, seems a bit quick for 10k training on your current times.

Also, 2:45 for 800m,  I've been doing about 2:48 and I'm on low 17min 5ks at the mo.

However, if you can complete those sessions well you're doing really well!

Hmmmm, maybe my 800 times are a bit off. I don't take enough notice obviously. As I'm nowhere close to your (excellent) 5k times. With the 400m reps I tend to be dragged along by the group I train with. But as the session draws on my times do slip towards 80-81 seconds. My tempo pace is something I obsess about, never sure if I have it right. But massive thanks for the feedback matey!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Was gonna say Stevie See, those 400metres were pretty sharp if you're currently on a 39min 10k. Not surprised they slip away a bit. All i can say is you know it's the right pace when you can hold the pace for all the reps. However, runners who have been quicker than me tell me it's not a bad idea to train with faster people, will probably be something I start doing when I change club.

As for me..tough session tonight,   3k at 17:10 5k pace, which I work out as 3:26 a k. All wrapped up in a 8.5m total run  with 15mins jog after the 3k finished by a mile as hard as possible.

Didn't do this one at the track as couldn't handle the idea of 7 1/2 laps at that pace image

Therefore did it on a flattish route, but slightly suffered in places for having to slow at roads or for obstacles!

3:27, 3:30, 3:31   so it came out as 10:28 rather than 10:18.

Lost a few seconds for stops and obstacles so can't really be too disappointed.

Did the flat out mile in 5:37 so reasonably pleased with the session..can't always hit them on the nail!

• Good work SG, you cant be spot on everytime, I assume it didn't hurt any less by being 10s slower, it just hurt for 10s more!!!

Easy hour tonight for me. Loosen up the legs for tomorrow sesh.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's odd, it feels like working pretty hard during, but as I write this now 2 hours on, could have fooled me I've even run tonight! With a bit of luck that means I've got good recovery skills rather than just a lack of ability to work hard enough!

have a good sesh tomorrow!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

couple of light 4milers today..preparing for a monster after work 14miler tomorrow

think i'll run the wycombe half course again...in prep for sunday 18th

• Good luck tomorrow. Had a 14 beaster tonight. I absolutely buried myself but am pleased to have completed by hardest session ever!

3mile easy / warmup
    8 miles @ MP
    5m46 (F), 5m54 (U) , 6m10 (U), 5m51 (D) ,6m06 (U) ,5m47 (D) ,5m58 (D), 6m04 (F)
    F=Flat, U=Uphill, D=Downhill
    3 mile easy / cooldown

Two tough session done this week, thursday friday rest and or easy runs. Now that feels good
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

your MP is 6mins a mile or under? Sheash.

just the 2hr 36 marathon expected then...no pressure!

You see this is where the "it's all relative" bit comes in...people at work think I'm some kind of fitness legend, and then I read your sessions and feel strictly small time image

• I'm hoping to be around that kind of mark...but lets wait and see.

The thing is though you are training equally hard (possibly harder) than me its just I've been doing it for a longer period of time than you. So I'm sure it will all come soon.

In my eyes you are still a fitness legend, you are doing some serious mileage and have been more than just a good motivator for me (i.e. I'm thinking I cant let him catch me).

Also to note, I rate that session as the toughest I have yet to complete. I arrived back at my hotel covered in sweat and left a fairly large puddle in the lift, much to delight of the others staying at the hotel.

Enjoy the big one tonight
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta! You give me motivation that putting in the hard work will bring good results too. You've come on very well indeed since that Henley 10k in 08 , so although you started at a faster point, I'd at least like to reduce the time difference between us!

I still don't look at the majority of my runs as training, which I suppose is a good thing! i like nothing more than doing the easy paced sessions! It's the tempo interval and long runs which take a slight effort to get up for! Long term I think I might get involved with Maidenhead or Handy Cross for the speedwork when their sessions match what I'm looking to do, and might seek out a long run buddy, although often I do my sessions at ridiculously early times like 7am ona  sunday!

The 3 races I have coming up aren't going to be pb courses, so no expectations on those...they're mostly to fulfil club championship obligations, and to do the Wycombe half which was my first race in 2002, and one I haven't done for 4 years now! I did 1hr 28 there a couple of times, so that should be smashed even if the pb of 1hr 19 at Wokingham isn't troubled.

After that, of course in agreement with Moraghan I can envisage picking a fast flat 10k around September time, and then perhaps the 10miler Cabbage Patch race in October as late year targets. I'll then build to those progressively for 2-3months from mid July. I also wouldn't mind throwing a flat road 5k into the mixer as well, as all the 5ks on my current series are either road but undulating, or flat but mixed terrain! 

Therefore, that's 3 races for Sep and October, and after that my local cross country series will see out the year! It sounds weird to say...in the middle of the summer, but I'm already looking forward to the cross country races! Hopefully I can be a bit higher up the finishing ranks then the 14th to 23rd spread from last years!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    14miles in 1hr 43...last hard/long run before the 3 races...easy all the way til then image