Options

Hot weather

Given the heatwave and temperatures hitting 28 will times be a lot slower then usual?

Comments

• Options
    I went out for a 7 mile run this morning and found my time slower. This however was due to the head wind and driving rain that has been a feature in Central Scotland for the last 4 or 5 days!!! It honestly felt like the winter today with the temperature being around 12c. Enjoy the good weather while you can.
  • Options
    I love the weather,and I have found it to be not as difficult as I first thought it would be, any tips for recovery after long runs In the heat?
  • Options
    Stop rubbing it in Mike, not everyone lives in the south east of england, although the met office seem to think so. I also had a waterproof jacket on this morning for the strong westerly wind and rain.
  • Options
    MM - try an ice bath!
  • Options
    Whitehead any consolation,we are going to have heavy showers for the next few days.
  • Options
    Best get the waterproofs back out Mike, i've got soaked the last few days!! On the upside my pace is always faster in the rain.
  • Options
    Do times in general suffer because of the heat?
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

It varies from person to person Mike, but generally most people find they have to work harder to maintain a certain pace in the heat - so yes, times will suffer. How much depends on the person though - how much the heat affects them, what their pace is to begin with etc.

Personally I can lose up to 30 seconds a mile in very hot weather, but this is reduced by being well hydrated before I start out. The advantage of course is that come autumn and cooler weather, it feels comparatively easy and you can start bringing those PBs down!

Oh, and recovery - make sure you rehydrate well. A good tip is to weigh yourself before and after you go out to give you an idea of how much fluid you've lost. Electrolyte drinks will help compensate for salts etc. lost through sweating, but I find that fruit juice and a salty snack works just as well.

• Options
    Took part in the RAF Marham 10 mile this morning in very humid weather. Ran it in 1hr 16 mins 40sec. I know for a fact if it was a cool, cloudy day I would have gone under 1 hr 15 mins. Happy nonetheless. 4 minutes quicker than last year! image
  • Options
    Having run  a series of 25 mile runs at the end of the week through out the year, I can say that on the sunniest, hottest days my time can be up to 40 minutes slower then cooler, cloudier conditions. Also a hell of a lot tougher to boot, really feel it in those conditions.
  • Options

I did a PB last week over 8 miles. 50.55. But anything over 8 at the moment im about 3-4 minutes slower then my usual times.

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

I think part of it is definitely psychological - if you feel less comfortable, then you're likely to suffer a reduction in performance.

Increased body temperature and dehydrating quicker is bound to have an impact though. You were 7.5 min/miling tonight, but who's to say you wouldn't have been 7.3 min/miling in cooler weather? All sorts of factors contribute to running performance but controlling for everything else, I'm sure heat makes a difference. There has to be a study on it out there... I'm going to look.

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Someone's done a PhD on it...

http://researchrepository.napier.ac.uk/3591/

'...these results provide evidence that heat and humidity combined with ozone have a detrimental effect on athletes’ performance in an 8 km time trial, it cannot be discounted that this was simply due to the heat and humidity as there was no differences in the two heat performances'.

'In addition, it can be suggested that 2 weeks of a low dosage of vitamin C and E supplementation might present some benefits for the performance outcome and immune system of trained individuals when taking part in a running competition in an ozone-polluted, hot and humid environment. These benefits will, however, depend on the regulation of the antioxidants uptake and metabolism of each subject'.

So some evidence for a physiological basis, but I'm still curious about psychological effects... might have to do a study of my own image

• Options
    Hot weather beats me to death. Bring on colder runs! with rain!
  • Options

I went out for a run about 9am saturday and managed 4.5 miles before my head felt like it was going to explode and I could barely catch my breath.  I really struggle in the heat and it makes a massive difference to my performance.

As nice as this hot weather is and as much as I'm enjoying it when not running, I'm looking forward to running in colder weather again.

• Options
    Living in the north, I am not used to the heat and have been suffering over the last few weeks. Bring on driving rain and seeing your breath. image
  • Options

Its better than being a toasted, stiff bagelimage

• Options

Of course it has an effect and you should expect to be slower. Bob Glover has charts for how much time you can expect to lose because of heat and humidity, but I'm not enough of a geek to remember them off the top of my head.

Is anyone else finding themselves pining for our recent arctic winter? I have blissful memories of running a 10K in 3 degrees and now I think I'm unlikely to PB all summer. 

• Options
    Yep, light rain, light breeze and about 4/5c would do me nicely.
  • Options
    i agree with madameO.......i am in south of france on holiday and have done a 3.5, 4.5, 7 and 10 mile run.......the heat has got to me, the ability to get air into lungs has been my downfall.  I have been out of breath after 400 yds!!!........that not like me, i am a sub 1:24 for a half marathon but out of breath in the heat......oh well.......wonder if wine and cheese will help image
  • Options

yea it can become uncomfortable to run in hot weather especially long
    distance!
    The expert's hype on about the usual obvious issues , but information
    is scarce on some important issues, like warm weather running.
    Living near the sea I tend to swim first, or at the very least cold shower, in order to reduce body temp . It slows the heating process down
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    5 years ago I did the Blackpool marathon and it was 30c I have never felt it as hot as that day