Trentham Tri

124»

Comments

• Well done Pirates, great work image 
  • Well done everyone.

I enjoyed yesterday. Swim was awful. First time I have swum in a wetsuit and first time outdoors (too lazy to practice!). Paniced a little in the first 50m. Ended up coming out of the lake with only a few behind me... 25:15 (presume this includes T1).

Bike was fun. Did it in 39:05. Stopping at the lights was a pain though. Enjoyed the course. Some fast bikes out there. Was pleased with the time as I haven't really done any training on the bike and haven't been on it since Nantwich.

Run was disappointing. Didn't push on enough and finished with a bit in the tank. Legs felt so funny. Really need to practice running off the bike... that was only the second time I've ever run off the bike. Finished in 28:05 (presume this includes T2).

Total time for my second ever tri.... 1:32:25

Presume I can take off the time at lights, 2:02, to give net time of 1:30:23?

• Trentham report image

Got to stoke ok although had to phone Baz up for the Hotel address because couldn’t find it and sorted out hotel and number. Then got bored and wandered around the gardens. Was slightly scared by the large number of women, hunting in packs with bottles of wine. Did wonder if this was a dogging area till was explained that there was a dirty dancing show on later. Found a Frankies and Benny’s and destroyed the waiting staff. “would you like a starter sir?” Garlic bread please.

Different person would you like a side order with your pasta sir? Garlic bread please.

5 minutes latter I’m sorry sir we have ordered the same thing twice for you sir. No it’s ok me want two garlic’s, hungry cake! Unfortunately the waitress while brilliant didn’t quite grasp that and I can’t speak good polish. L

Did get the Godfaster ice cream for two after through.

Morning of the race was late because was helping a young couple doing there first sprint get there and saw a fox on the way yippee!

Swim Didn’t want to half kill myself so did it breaststroke. Didn’t have any problems going round and took it slow because didn’t know how I would cope with the distance. Got out of the water within a hour and managed to start walk/run towards the transition ok. With a few come on cake being shouted at me from the olly people, one slight niggle got a couple of shouts off your going the wrong way which confused the dickens out of me. Really didn’t enjoy trying to run the 800 metres or so to T1 in a wet suit. Started to sort my stuff out and went towards the start line only to have to come back for gloves time 1.09.13. Which happy with because know would have been a lot faster if wasn’t taking it easy. Outlaw swim fears are lessoned a lot.

Bike Took the first loop very slow as didn’t know how to pace it. Chatted to Steve for a bit before he speeded off and tried out what you should do at a feed station. Second and third loop took at training speed for most of it. Fourth and firth loop started to get some confidance and hammered it for the down bits. Started to experiment with the twins (tri bars) and while was scary did enjoy coming up to and on the main road bit. Tried to set up banter same as a marafun but couldn’t get many people to play with me. Think using the old joke about steady lads speed camera a bad idea for a tri, got some mucky looks. Also got to say hello to Big Dave from Nankwich who was doing the sprint, think he was surprised to see me. Time 3.37.16

Run Took it slow and finally managed to get some banter going. Saluted runner number 1 every time he passed me, chatted to some of the other folks going round and tried to help someone with number 2 because they had hit the wall, lapped Mrs SA and a few other’s which sounds good but was only 3 mile laps. Also got some good banter with the young air cadets and one of them ran with me for part of the wooded bit. Tried to do a sprint finish at the end but was too knackered and set off to quick. Something to think about for outlaw because always likes a good sprint at the end of any race. Time 2.34.37 but think if I hadn’t had stopped a few times to talk to folks could have made 2.20 easy.

Deductions for traffic lights 2.20 making an overall time 7.21.06. Now know can do outlaw in the cut off’s and wont be so conservative on the bike on the big day.

• yeah it was me and it was dam painful and left me dazed had to stand up for a moment to get my self together.  looking at the results i did not come last on the swim as the guy on the tanoid commented - last of the swimmer from the big half.... adding more embarrassment....
  • Young chap came out of swim with Oly pack and had the most toe curling cramps in both feet/calves...  they laid him down on his back and manually stretched his feet out with him screaming his head off on the floor... image
  • Really enjoyed the sprint distance yesterday,though lake very shallow at one end.pleased with my time also.the traffic lights were bit annoying as I lost my momentum.few things bit odd on the male sprint results.someone did 13 min run leg and I presume this included the transition ,think there was a 15 min split also.maybe i read it wrong or there were very quick runners.are the results provisional?
  • Well done Cake. Was looking out for you and the Pirates but didn't see anyone.
  • image We were hiding you should have said you were down and stuff.

Funkster the transition taken as part of the time normally. Might have just have been some error's.

• pics are up  image

Anyone who wants a proper copy of a pic mail me and I'll mail it to you.

• Hi All.  Mrs SA here with my Trentham race report image

Race morning 6.00 we headed down to transition area, then across to the Lake to prepare for the swim and pre-swim briefing.  It was nice to meet new faces like Richard123.   Before we knew it we were in the water and it was "3-2-1 GO"   I must admit the Lake was not as bad as i had anticipated.  I started at the back of the field and paced myself.  I was overtaken by many, but i though hey i've got 4 laps to do.   The only problems i encountered were leaky goggles and an ear-plug that refused to stay where it should be and being swum over at the second buoy .   This created a bit of a tide and i endied up swallowing loads of water and went into a bit of a panic and couldn't breathe!!!!    After coughing and spluttering for what seemed like an eternity i got myself together and carried on.  I got into a good rhythm and completed the swim.   Swim time 1:04:03

After clambering out of the water (at this point somewhat dizzy and disorientated) my hands would not do what i wanted them to to try and remove the top half of my wetsuit and i almost fell over trying to put my trainers on for the run to T1 - just at the point that a voice said "Morning Mrs Pirate".  I looked up to see Nam pointing a camera at me!!!!

Into T1 and i was greeted with "GO PIRATES" from SA who was about 10 minutes ahead of me.  After finally removing my wetsuit and farting about in transition (as i always do) i trotted out onto the bike course.  All of a sudden there was a loud voice from the tanoy system "And here we have number 196 Joanne Hayter from the Pirate Ship of Fools.  You can get on your bke now love..... no really its ok to get on your bike"

The bike course was a bit of a bugger.   SA and i had done a dummy run in the car the day before so we knew it was going to be tough.    I was passed by Cake and Calf who shouted as he whizzed past,  I also spotted Big Dave who was at Nantwich who shouted a much appreciated "GO PIRATES" at me.  Bike time 3:58:56    My trusted black and yellow Carrera bike had not let me down again!!!!

Into T2 and i headed off onto the run.  By this time the weather was pretty hot but took on plenty of water at every water station.   It was an out and back run course so it was lovely to keep seeing SA (managed to grab a snog on one of the laps).    After a while the weather was beginning to sap my energy so i adopted the old "run - walk" method.   Cake caught up with me on his last lap and we walked for a bit.  On my way to the finish i spotted SA who had come back to give me some much needed encouragement and a huge hug.   I crossed the line in 3:03:21

I finished shattered, bitten to buggery but elated and proud of myself.    

• Great pics Nam but unfortunately seeing myself in the 'flesh' so to speak makes me realsie what a fat knacker I've turned into  image

Good reports guys.

• Fab reports.  Well done all.  image

The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

After clambering out of the water (at this point somewhat dizzy and disorientated) my hands would not do what i wanted them to to try and remove the top half of my wetsuit and i almost fell over trying to put my trainers on for the run to T1 - just at the point that a voice said "Morning Mrs Pirate".  I looked up to see Nam pointing a camera at me!!!!

LOL!! Yes... apologies for that. image

• My amusing sherpa moments were...

• looking for Calfie in the swim, having been 100% I'd be able to spot him due to distinctive stroke style, but failing uselessly....  unknowingly to me he passed me 4x flicking the Vs at me whilst I was gazing into the distance.  I guess other spectators thought he was just an angry swimmer...
    • Liverbird making best possible use of her big gob by yelling at cyclists at traffic lights to instantly provide their race number... NOW!!
    • Calfie taunting Cakeyboy for being faster on the run than on the bike.
    • Mr SA's loud taunts about Calfie having opted for the "gaylord distance"... which had other spectators raise an eyebrow
  • Nam wrote (see)

Calfie taunting Cakeyboy for being faster on the run than on the bike.

But I'm a runner bikes are gaylord. image

Mrs SA you need to get your own profile so we can all shat you up without SA realising.

• Have signed up for Leeds sprint tri in August... just need to get my arse on the bike more and actually try to swim a bit!

• Cake wrote (see)
    Nam wrote (see)

Calfie taunting Cakeyboy for being faster on the run than on the bike.

But I'm a runner bikes are gaylord. image

Mrs SA you need to get your own profile so we can all shat you up without SA realising.

But you have to remember that I will see

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

image Cake - i've got my own profile!!!!!

• imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

IMIB wrote (see)

Have signed up for Leeds sprint tri in August... just need to get my arse on the bike more and actually try to swim a bit!

One of the marshalls for that is a right t**t. See you there image
  • Cake wrote (see)
    so we can all shat you up
    Now, I really really hope that's a typo!!  image
  • Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Yeah it has to be! image

• Dyslexic muppet strikes again. imageimageimage

Sorry

• I see that a couple of people were DQ'd for running a red light. I would have thought that losing time at a red light (which was taken into account in your final time anyway ?) wouldn't have been that significant in the Big Half ?
  • Mrs SA wrote (see)

image Cake - i've got my own profile!!!!!

Whoohoo image

• LOL @ Cake getting "shat up"... image
  • parkbench wrote (see)
    I see that a couple of people were DQ'd for running a red light. I would have thought that losing time at a red light (which was taken into account in your final time anyway ?) wouldn't have been that significant in the Big Half ?
    Park if you are naugty they kick you off just so you don't be a bad driver. Won't make much difference but if your at speed and have to stop you have to uncleat as well so it's does add up.
  • Do you still get DQ'ed if you go on the pavement before the traffic lights and then back on the road after it, so that for that moment in time you're not 'actuallly a road vehicle' ? or is that just for paperboys and 25 year olds on BMX's ?
  • Don't know calf will probably have the rules down somewhere. But you coundn't have done that for this anyway there wasn't enouth room.