MBNA Chester Marathon

A new course and a new date. October 9th 2011 so plenty of time to prepare. Pre-registration is already open but may well be worth getting in early.

Comments

• This course seems better than this years which was a little tedious on the return leg (overall a great event though) ,it`s a pity the new date clashes with the impending Mersey Marathon which is scheduled the week before.
  • The date clash is a bit of a pain - ultimately its not gonna help either event. I wonder if the Liverpool one could be moved ?
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    loved this years course but to run though chester centre will be great
  • It`s highly unlikely Liverpool will change the date seeing that the council have finally agreed to the event, that  was an achievement in itself, it`s such a pity that we will have two races and have to choose which to enter the outcome is that both races will suffer number loss.
  • Seems a bit silly to stick to a date that's so close to another major marathon though ? If they don't budge will they then blame any possible lack of entries on the organiser ? (And not themselves for moving the race)
  • The Liverpool date(October 2nd) has been selected by Liverpool City Council on the basis that there are no Premiership games over that weekend. It is a European qualification weekend. I understand there was contact betweem Liverpool and Chester authorities about the clash of  dates - so it seems marathon devotees now have a straight choice, either Liverpool or Chester.

Typical, you wait 20 years for a decent marathon and two come along at once!

Alan Rothwell

''runliverpool' initiative

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    new Flyde coast marathon in Feb running from St Annes to Fleetwood a marathon in st Annes again great news
  • AlanRothwell wrote (see)

The Liverpool date(October 2nd) has been selected by Liverpool City Council on the basis that there are no Premiership games over that weekend. It is a European qualification weekend. I understand there was contact betweem Liverpool and Chester authorities about the clash of  dates - so it seems marathon devotees now have a straight choice, either Liverpool or Chester.

Typical, you wait 20 years for a decent marathon and two come along at once!

Alan Rothwell

''runliverpool' initiative

Alternatively, you could choose to shuffle around both, not look for a great time, but enjoy the scenery.

Or is that just nuts ?

• may be going to OZ next year to stay with my cousan and hope to do the gold coast marathon
  • According to the LCC news release the liverpool race is now on the 9th Oct 2011 as well.
  • I fancy this as my first marathon.

How late do you think I will be able to enter? I could do with waiting until the football fixture list is announced in June next year to see which match is on that weekend to see if I could do it

City comes before running.

• it will be a different course to the one we did this year but there is good support and well worth doing it I am looking at Devon Mararthon as I am on holiday down there week before for Torbay half
  • I've pre-registered image
  • Well after the disapointment of London (again) I think I'm going to enter this, it'll give me a good deal of time to prepare for it! Its nice to see a pure marathon as well (rather than a half and full) as I find the combo gives a very lonely second half of the race. And living locally seals the deal!

Not sure I trust the Liverpool event to come off to be honest, too many unknown quantities, so I'll be doing this

R

• As A Chester lad I think I better get training for this.  A year to get from 3 miles to 26 miles.
  • Well done spen71 on chosing the Chester!

I'm similar to you. Presently running 4 x a week, (3m, 3m, 2m, 6m) - so we've a lot to do but it can / will be done image

• Ive done three half marathons now, and have enjoyed the challenge, but am now looking for something bigger.  I have pre-registered for this, but was wondering....  image

Once you have a couple of marathons under your belt do you start looking at Ultras?image

• Yes MS7, you look at ultras and then lie down until you've forgotten about the idea!
  • you can look at ultras and become a super plodder or go back to 10 k 's and be a super fast athlete image

• Thanks for that. Just getting ahead of myself a little.  (not even done one marathon yet!) but i can definately understand how people end up challenging themselves for more and difficult (or faster) events.  image

Starting and finishing at the racecourse looks an excellent idea. The English Half Marathon finishes on the running track in front of the grandstand and i think its an excellent way to finish.

• Yes M57 I was at Warrington . The track finish is great , the puddles / streams getting to it not so good .

The Chester half marathon starts and finishes on the roodee ( racecourse ) and it is good .

Not a big lover of marathons , only ran one myself , But I hope to do this one . Plenty of halfs before that though . Conwy , 4 villages , Liverpool and the chester half . Should be an interesting year . Dont know how I will fit 10k's into it .  

• I did the liverpool half myself, the last three miles into the wind on the prom were an absolute killer.  I can live with running in the rain, but windimage

This will be my first marathon.  was torn between liverpool and chester, but since the liverpool can't even decide what date to choose, i have put my name down for this one instead.

• Hi MS7 - I like your question!! I wondered the same, but have done 8 marathons now and still not quite ready for an ultra.. not until I am altogether happy with my marathon time!! I am convinced I have a better time in me but something always goes wrong somewhere along the way... (pb = 3.55 from this year's Chester mara).

Interesting to see the date change. May well do it again, it was well organised, a good number of runners and accurately measured etc etc. Will go and look at the route change now.. yes it was a little dull on the way back but I loved the flat-ness of it so could't complain!!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    so has the Liverpool /chester conflict been resolved yet?I would like to do both so maybe they should have one start at 9 am and the other at 3 pm and that could be possible-In my dreams!!! Seriously i once lived in Blackfriars House as a student and jogged around the race course-hope they cut the grass too.Now I live near Liverpool so that has significance to me as well.Got to get rid of my patela tendonitis first though as I cant run other than in pain at the mo.
  • Hi 2old - We have not heard anything from Liverpool yet.  their marathon proposal in not listed on the LCC cabinet meeting agenda for this Friday.  We are holding our breath & hoping that they can move their date.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Tutu much

I got 3h 59 at Chester hoping for one in Devon in 2011 week after Torbay half marathon
  • How much is it for a standard entry for the Marathon.
    Cheers.
  • Chris H. It looks as though Liverpool have committed themselves to having a marathon on the same day as Chester, i think they are in a bit of a pickle regarding who to get to organise it though.  It looks as though their original choice has pulled out. 

I have pre-registered for this, but if RunLiverpool is awarded the Liverpool marathon i may have to rethink.  Either way i can't do both so i may have to toss a coin.image 

for those of you who did the Chester marathon previously,

Is it all run by seriously mega-fit runners all looking to break 3 hours? would a plodder like myself stand out?  I have no illusions about my own ability so i would be looking at about 4:15 to 4:30.  just don't want to trail in 20 mins behind everyone else.