Talkback: Shock Absorber RUN bra

Bought one of these bras a couple of months back - have since bought another two. They are without doubt the best and most supportive running bras I have come across for the larger bust. not the cheapest but definitely the best in my opinion. I have run everything from 5K to a marathon in mine and have found it comfortable at all times.

Comments

• Jovi, do you mind my asking what size you are? I ordered a couple of different sizes online but neither fitted so I sent them back. Did you buy your normal size or one bigger/smaller?
  • How did you do up the top clasp, I tried one and couldnt fasten it, I run in the shock absorber crop top B4490, very supportive and about £8 cheaper
  • i believed the hype and bought one.

good points

1. its easier to get on and off than any other bra ive tried

bad points

1. fit not brilliant makes you look like you got ice cream cones down your tshirt and cup a bit baggy looking. 

2. i found it didnt give much support under the armpit area and i am continually reaching to pull it up higher.

3.its a lot hotter to wear than previous shock bras ive bought

4. its far too expensive and i bought one but its not worth the money for another

• These bras are fantastic!

I'm normally a 32GG but bought a 34F and the support is fantastic - I barely notice my chest at all! I originally bought it in black and recently bought the white one.

I ran the London Marathon on Sunday and ran for the first time in the white one - no chafing or rubbing at all.

It is difficult to do the clasp up at the top - I had to move it so it was slightly looser to be able to get it on but its definitely worth the money.

• looks too big for my 34B....I personally love the Nike Crop Tops I use as bras....just brilliant
  • its stiffer than the other shock absorbers but as im a 34dd i need the support,so far it's great,but the enell bras are still my favourite,ugly but wonderful for big-boobed runners!
  • Best bra for running by far, even for my 36As.No friction and very comfortable.  Not great looking under clothes (bit bumpy), but in terms of function it is good.
  • Best bra by far!! I've run upto marathon distance in mine with no problems at all. It doesn't rub anywhere, looks good and fits in my usual size fine. I don't find it at all hot to run in. well worth the money.
  • Don't do them for my size 30H.

Have to stick with a B109 shock absorber

• love this sports bra, very supportive with no chafing, racer back style gives nice free feeling, better than any I have tried, am running 40 miles a week at the mo, and its the only bit of kit I have no issues with!
  • Love this bra tooimage

I find just before a period my boobs used to hurt when I ran....; BUT not anymore with this bra.

It is fiddly to fastenimage I find it best to fasten the top plastic piece before fastening the strap.

• Found a solution to the top clasp......

Fasten the plastic clasp BEFORE putting the bra on over your head. Then fasten the strap....EASYimage

• Absolutely LOVE it! I have had chaffing in the middle of my chest from all the other bras I've had, shock absorber range included, but I don't even notice I'm wearing it. As for fit and look, it squishes my 32DD close in and fits tight and perfect, no gaping, rubbing or shifting about at all... totally fab and so much so, I'm considering buying a second one, even despite my near heart attack at paying such a 'high' price for the first! image
  • How much adjustment is there on the distance between cup and back band? I usually end up tightening the shoulder straps my current sports bras further than the adjustment is supposed to go as it is. These look like that possibility is further reduced, so I might simply not be able to shorten it enough to hold anything in place.
  • I have 3 of these and - whilst they're good - they're not the bra-nirvana I would expect for this amount of money:

- I'm glad they don't chafe other people, but they chafe me: both at the front (where the logo is) and at the lower back clasp. On shorter runs up to 12 miles or so they're fine, but on longer runs they're heavy on Vaseline use.

- They are butt-ugly. The rear strap length adjustment (which offers a good range, Helen Liz) looks like it was originally designed as industrial marine lifting gear and is wider/higher than the backs of all my race vests. The front looks like a surgical truss.

- After about a dozen washes the white one looked hideous - displaying a wide range of grey shades and varying degrees of fabric distortion.

- They are very hot to wear, particularly down cleavage alley - this area could really do with some extra ventilating fabric.

- The upper back clasp is a waste of time - like others above I have to do the top clasp up before I try to put the bra on otherwise I could spend all day just trying to do my bra up

On the upside the support is very good, but not as good as the old model M&S long-distance running bras, which incidentally held up much better to washing as well. This bra is worth trying, but the Shock Absorber design peeps still have quite a bit of work to do IMO.

I'm a 36B and do 55-65 mpw, by the way. I have 3 of these because whilst I don't think they're perfect, they're still better than the other currently-available bras I've tried. If M&S got their act together again, though ...

• Are they any longer in the strap/main body than the B4490?

I have a B4490 which is brilliant for giving rock-hard support (32D), however you need to be a contortionist to get it on and even at full extension of the straps, it's very very short and so wants to be up under my chin until I've got it into position.

I'm just over 5ft 6 by the way, so not very tall but I have heard from some taller women that they can't wear 'em at all.

• I am 5ft 10" and 38d and fits me fine. Shock absorber run bra best bra I have had - every other bra left marks/ cuts but have had no problems with this. Yes little bit tricky to fasten at top but manage ok however bra ur talking about OJO had to send back previously as could not even get it on! Defo recommend shock run bra .
  • Im in 2 minds as to whether to get one of these or go for an Enell.Has anyone tried both? thanks.

• I believed the hype and spent the money only to regret it. Very poor wicking qualities, too hot, cup too baggy and not exactly pretty although I normally care more about functionality than looks. I'm a 34B and believe that for my size there are better option available. I can imagine that for bigger busted women the Shock Ansorber Bra gives excellent support but I wouldn't purchase another one.
  • Enell all the way…

The best bra ever, and I've run 3 marathons in Enell. Shock Absorber is rubbish in comparrison.

• I've never tried Enell but I love my Shock Absorber. I'm a 36DD and the poor things are pinned down and they don't bounce at all. Have done a few marathons in it and no pain or chaffing.image
  • I had a wardrobe malfunction out running yesterday - one of the hooks came out of its hold and therefore I had no support on one side. This was no joke as I am a 32F, I cannot run without good support, and I was several miles away from home. I like these bras but if it happens again I am binning them. 

• I love my "run" bra its the best ever, easy to get on, close top clasp beforehand then slide over your head, perfect fit, bought my usual size 34D, no issues with odd lumps or conical bits!, love love love the shoulder straps as they don't get longer and longer as i run unlike the b4490, which i also love for its looks and support but can't run more than 5 miles in it as it chafes under my arms & the straps get too long losing the support, ended up having to stitch them!.
    Down side to the 'run' bra is that its so dam hot.
  • I have tried both.. The Enell gave great support but chaffed really bad at the front and underneath despite loads of vaseline.. Discovered the Run bra and thin it brilliant.. yes theres a nac to doing up the clasp but I have had no chaffing even when running for nearly 2 hrs. My normal size is 34ff, the run bra isnt available in that size so tried a 36 F and the fit is good.. Overall i'm more than satisfied with the fit and performance just copuld do with being cheaper..  happy running.

• Reviving this thread because, like Aquamarina, I had a long chilly walk home from my run this morning after first one then both of the shoulderstrap hooks pinged out, leaving me with effectively no bra at all... This happened on one side the time before and I was able to walk to a nearby loo and fix it and carry on running. I thought it was a one off but clearly not so am not giving this bra another outing.

Like Aquamarina I'm a 32 back so I wondering something about the way the bra is designed means it's not so great for narrow backs?

Now wondering which bra to try next...

• I love my run bra, nothing moves!

If you need fitting into a run bra, Sweaty Betty does it and are very professional.

Also what some people don't know when try on bras, when you go down in the band width, you go up in a cup size. Hopefully this will help you find your size;)

• Aquamarina - hope you binned it, I've just posted my first review because my shock absorber does the same thing (and at 34dd its not a good look sprinting in the park!)  I'm a big fan of my M and S bra - great support through the whole cleavage and no squishing they wash beautifully, wicking is great and they last forever.  
  • I have bought 2 of these bras after seeing them in a magazine. After having tried nearly every other one going I must admit that they are the best ones I have found yet and well worth the price. They offer just the right amount of support for my modest 36D's. I slightly regret buying the white version instead of the black for my second purchase as it's always in the wash with black running kit, should have thought about that one before buying but as they say, you live and learn.
  • hey there,  I got a couple of the SA run bras and they were fab for a while, I am now having the same problem with one of them unhooking half way through a run so took a needle and thread to it. now it's holding it's own again  image  

There are a few comments re the Enell, I have not seen these before so am going to have to give them a whirl !!