Saucony Isle of Axholme Half Marathon

Hi, has anyone ever ran this? Would anyone recommend running it? And lastly is there anybody on this site running the race this year?

Thanks image

Comments

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

It's a brand new event so answer to your first question is a definite no!

I ran the Ferry 5 in early June, and I believe part of the route is the same. It's absolute pancake flat. No hills for miles around, so a definite PB course - but with that goes the soul-destroying aspect (for me) of long, straight, featureless roads. I personally prefer a few hills to break it up, but if you like flat stuff then fill your boots!

It's also organised by the people at the Metres to Miles shop in Epworth, and the races they've done thus far have all been excellent. Well organised, not too much to enter, decent T-Shirt, good range of prizes etc etc. So it ticks a lot of boxes for me. The only box it doesn't tick is that it's only 2 weeks before the Abingdon Marathon, so as a result I probably won't be running it - but if it was say 3 or 4 weeks earlier I'd have entered this like a shot.

• Hi LS21, thanks for that, never done a half before so it will be a pb whatever time I do image

Didn't even know about the Ferry 5, did you get a good time?  Best wishes for the Abingdon mararthon.

• I hope to be doing this one and then Worksop at the end of the month. It`s a lot more expensive than Worksop mind!
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Deadstar - missed your post, sorry. Yes Ferry 5 was a good race. I ran 'ok' there really - not as quick as I hoped, but that was down to me and not the course. I think there were 6 people who all ran sub-25 minutes at the Ferry 5, so that gives you an idea of how quick the route can be! Good luck with the Half
  • Ok..this race has been moved from September 12th to October 3rd and now clashes with the Mablethorpe 1/2M.... So the question is..Which one..!!..???
  • the egyptian toe wrote (see)
    I hope to be doing this one and then Worksop at the end of the month. It`s a lot more expensive than Worksop mind!
    Epworth is closer to me so I will be doing that one, £20 for me as I'm not part of a running club.
    LS21 wrote (see)
    Deadstar - missed your post, sorry. Yes Ferry 5 was a good race. I ran 'ok' there really - not as quick as I hoped, but that was down to me and not the course. I think there were 6 people who all ran sub-25 minutes at the Ferry 5, so that gives you an idea of how quick the route can be! Good luck with the Half
    Sorry to hear you didn't go as quick as you wanted, blimey sub 25 is fast, I'm between 45-50min at the moment.
    ANDREW ELY 3 wrote (see)
    Ok..this race has been moved from September 12th to October 3rd and now clashes with the Mablethorpe 1/2M.... So the question is..Which one..!!..???
    Didn't know the original date was Sept, wonder why it was moved. 
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I asked the guy who organises it re why the date change. He did tell me but I've forgotten! However, I *think* it might have been down to a problem with road closures, clashing with another event or on Police advice or something. It wasn't down to the organisers, as I think they're accutely aware they now clash with other races and may lose a few Autumn Marathon runners as a result of the new date. Just one of those things I think.
  • arrite lee,

Thought the date didn't look right, shame that , fancied this as build up for mablethorpe!

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Aye I know mate - I'd got it down as a build-up race too - hopefully would have been my sub-80 and a nice confidence booster for Abingdon. Ah well. It's 2 weeks before Abo so I'm kind of tempted to run it anyway as a training run. I'd prob be doing 15 or so that day anyway, but might do this with the last 8 at Mara pace maybe? Not sure yet, need to work out my taper etc.

Oh and as an aside - the guy I'm doing the Thunder Run with is doing Mablethorpe too, so if I don't run the Axholme Half I may be at Mablethorpe in a spectator/supporter type capacity

• did you know there is a half at mablethorpe too?

How fast is your mate??

• 12th Sept is the Robin Hood half - not sure if that was enough of a clash to change it? I'm trying to decide between this and the Great Eastern Run the week after for a flat half this year. This one much closer but suspect I will be running alone for much of it, not too much of a problem considering that's how i train, but would be nice to try the (supposedly) fantastic support of the other out at some point too. Hmmmm.... Choices, choices!
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Waytogoyet wrote (see)

did you know there is a half at mablethorpe too?

How fast is your mate??

Very similar to me mate, although I've prob just edged in front of him a gnat's this year. He's aiming for sub-3 at Mablethorpe though. Prob would have done it this year but he did the White Peak Marathon, and it was about 28C that day - I got a touch of sunstroke just watching! He won't be a threat to you though mate, that's for sure
  • Wow loads of info, thanks.  Also some very fast runners, if I do this race I will be aiming for 2hrs to 2hrs 15min, still thats as fast as my legs will carry me at the moment so I'd be happy with anything close to 2hrs.
  • we'll see Lee - kind of hoping that there is someone who can run 25.5 miles with me, but then drop really quickly!

you could spectate the start of the full marathon, run the half, and then watch the finish?

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Sounds a right knees up image
  • Anyone know what time this race starts?
  • i might give this one a go before i start having babies, only live in Hull aswell... did the humber half marathon so it cant be as bad as that, and that was my first one.

• For a new event £25 on the day for members and £30 for non?? Compared to more local events it will be intresting  to see how many decide to run on the day. Think I paid £15 for Retford half this year on the day?? As they say on Dragons Den "you can count me out."image

• I`m just recovering from the Nottingham marathon and hope to try this one. Have to wait until payday though so hope it doesn`t get full!
  • Silly question: but is this race run on an island? I can get there in my car right?
  • lol! It does sound like it ought to be in the Hebrides or something! I think i`m right in saying that it`s sort of East of Donnie not too far from the Yorks Wildlife Park.
  • Hi

Really looking forward to this one and seeing it as a warm up for Worksop.

See you all there.

Coral
  • Cheers the Egyptian toe, yeah I was looking on google maps and I can't see no island!!
  • Hi,

Paul ..it starts at 10.30.

& Sarah 84, I did the Humber as well, my first..& there's no way anything can be as bad as that!!!!

• There`s a video on the course and the course looks very dull, but flat! Got my number today so excited but it`s a mini-bus to the start so logistics will be interesting.
  • Anyone know if there`s bag storage? If I have to minibus there, I prefer to be warm not in me racing kit. Or should I get there early and park in the village itself? I`m number 300-odd so I suspect field won`t be much over 400.
  • Hi Egyptian Toe

I had the same question about bag storage and can confirm that there will be (I contacted the organiser directly).
  • NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING IT IN THE RAIN, HOPE ITS A LIT DRIZZLE.....SOZ FOR CAPITALS, KEYBOARD IS BUGGERED.... IM NUMBER 168