Roth 2010

Comments

• Meldy - what did they say about your rubbish peak flow? Clearly something wrong... what a shit way to find that out... (())
  • Meldy - great report and I'm sorry things didn't go to plan for you. x
  • Meldy, that was an amazing read, what a great report, your write with such honesty and you've said so many truths. Like you say you will come back stronger and how much sweeter your IM next year will be when you kick it's arse!!!! See ya at the JW I hope xx
  • Nice one Melds - usual mixture of frank self appraisal and humour image

You said your HRM felt tight in the morning so you didn't wear it - how did your wetsuit feel? (this is not a wierd perverse random question btw!)

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Amazing report, Meldy, and sorry again that it went shite for you.

What was that you said about the Outlaw.......? image......?

• I dont think the wettie felt any different, it wasnt until later I remembered taking the HRM off cos it felt tight and it was on the normal 'setting' as it were ...

Dr didnt say anything about the peak flow as it were, referred for breathing test next week (do I have to train for that??
    Hhe said I was very fit and I told him he did not stand a chance without dinner first
  • Come to think of it Meldy - as we were waiting to go through to the swim, you did mention your neck on your wettie being tight.
  • M...eldy wrote (see)

Hhe said I was very fit and I told him he did not stand a chance without dinner first

Tart!!

The reason I asked about the wettie is that I had a nightmare in Dover harbour on Saturday - similar thing to you (though much shorter) and after in the shower one of my clubmates said she'd suffered from breathing problems / hyperventilating on a previous occasion and her wettie had felt all wrong on that occasion.  At which point everyone pointed out to me that as we'd been walking along to the start of the swim I'd been moaning that my wettie "didn't feel right" but hadn't done anything about it!

When swimming and for 24 hours after my lungs were really congested, I was wheezy, stopping to cough, and kind of sounded like I was gurgling a bit when breathing image - does this sound like you??

Maybe with luck you'll turn out to be something similar rather than EIA which could continue to kick in randomly in the future.........

• Melli suffered in Roth in 2008 due to Asthma
    Both Holly and I had to up our use of inhalers when we got to Roth
    Meldy was exhibiting all the hallmarks of Asthma.

I think the air there just aint that great if you are a tad prone to breathing probs. Maybe its the numerous crop fields, or maybe theres a big industrial area near.

On the plus side Moulds you got me there in one piece, and we got to sit in the car whilst DrM became my dad and was abused by Melli, playing the part of my mum circa 1976.

"You are doing 40 in a 30. SLOW DOWN"
    "errr yes love!"

I was waiting for Melli to spit on a tissue and wipe my face.

• I shall remember not to send my asthmatic other half to Roth then Bassi...............

• Mr Bassy Sir, is tomorrow a good time to come and visit?

Text me in the morning and let me know and we can sort stuff and what have you image
  • Right a couple of days since Roth, my legs are still sore, going down stairs is a nightmare, the Exocet is still in the box, but the Helix wettie has had a wash (thankfully!).

Going Sub 10 wasn’t on the plan three years ago when I started this journey. All I wanted to do was to finish one, now 36 months later in 5 races I’m now a sub 10hour Ironman athlete at Challenge Roth on 18th July 2010.

I was fit for the ace, as I’d trained for Ironman China in March hoping to get a Kona slot, but due to the heat, humidity and not really being good enough. I was really spent, more than I realised, physically and mentally. If I’m really honest with myself I struggled massively after China and I didn’t really realise just how much until yesterday morning, when I reflected on the race on Sunday when writing this. I’ve been going through the motions in training for the past couple of months and out of the three disciplines I’ve only really enjoyed my swimming. Probably, because I escaped the heat of Dubai, so, because of this I didn’t fully feel as fit as I was going into China, but I was in good shape.

Mostly, going into the race on Sunday all I really wanted to do was to enjoy it, but and it’s a big, but I truly wouldn’t have been happy if I hadn’t of gone Sub 10.

Everything seems to go really well in the lead up to race. Sarah and I had met Chrissie Wellington and all the team members from Tri2aspire, but then two days before the event at the practice swim I was bitten by something behind my knee - ouch. It was angry, very angry and I couldn’t see any muscle definition around my knee for about 24hours. I was worried, as I was struggling to straighten my knee and run on it, this could be a problem.

The Swim 1.02
    Fortunately, through the use of a number of medicines the knee calmed down and by 6.20 I was in the water in the canal ready for the off, ready for Challenge Roth. Despite the fact that there were only 200 guys in my waves start it was the roughest Ironman swim I have ever done. If I got hit, got swam over or I swam over someone else once it happen three or four times. The swim down to the turn around point felt pretty quick, but it seemed to take forever to come back and for the most of it, the swim was pretty uneventful. As I headed out toward the exit I checked my watch and to be honest I was a little disappointed. I’ve been swimming great in training and open water events back home, but whether I didn’t push myself hard effort, got lost or just picked the wrong legs to draft off for a bit, I was 5minutes off target of 57minutes, disappointing really.

T1 – No problems, but just how hard are CEP socks to get on!

• T2 – No problems here.

The Run 3.35
    I started out well and felt good. It really helped having my GPS and my watch telling me my pace and my overall time. The run was quite flat, but there were parts that tested you, grassy parts and some small hills, which just broke your rhythm. On my way out to the first turn around I saw some of the male and female pros heading towards the second turn around. The aid stations were great loads of different foods, but all I really wanted coke and water. In typical fashion as I started the run I was careful not to spill it down my face and on my hands (I hate sticky), so I did tend to walk while I downed the coke and water. Then I’d grab a sponge and wipe my face etc. It was hot, but not that bad to be honest, it felt comfortable, but there was a lot of people suffering, because of it. My pace was going up and down a tad, but this was only due to the areas I was walking in the aid stations, when I was running my pace was pretty much same. The run out through the forest was a pain and at this stage I felt I wasn’t going go sub 10. I wasn’t really in a happy place and I wanted to walk for a bit. I asked myself one question, how much do you really want to go Sub10? So that was that, I wanted it, I really wanted it, for a number of personal reasons alone beyond just the performance factor. I decided that I was just going to cane it and run the aid stations too. So out the window went the idea of not spilling coke down my face! Every aid station I went through there I was chucking coke down my face, in my eyes, ears, just everywhere. I keep my pace up and moved into the town area, where there was a small climb, which I started to cramp on in the calves. I was worrying, I was only 2km from the finish with about 10minutes to get in to go Sub10. I knew it was going to be tight. My quads were also very sore from the bike, hitting the big ring on the climbs, so things were looking a little desperate. I put my head down, gritted my teeth and simply ran through the pain. After 2km I found myself on the finishing carpet, with the crowd cheering. I crossed the finish line and my legs had had enough, all I wanted to do was lay down and rest, so that’s what I did (after I’d stopped the watch). I laid there for a couple of minutes, got up, grabbed a couple of beers, I sat down and chatted to a nice French guy for a while. Then it started to sink in, I’d done it, I’d gone under 10hours for an Ironman – 9.57.12. I couldn’t believe it, I’d done it!

• Afterwards
    After a massage, food, etc I had to find Sarah. To be honest most of the way round the race I kept saying to myself that if I when Sub10 that would be it for a while and that I’d take some time out from long distance triathlon, however, by the time I’d met Sarah I’d already decided to enter Ironman South Africa (which I’ve now done only 4 days after).

What did I think of the event?
    If you ever do one long distance race, this has to be the one. I do not think there is anything like in the world. The Challenge motto is ‘We Are Triathlon’ and the ‘Challenge Family’. That is what they are about, family. Felix (the race director) not only looks after the athletes, but possibly more importantly they look after the families who in turn look after the athletes. Without the families, the athletes wouldn’t be there to race. The Challenge series seem to understand this and in turn everyone there at Roth felt included and had a great time, something the WTC could learn a lot from, maybe?
  • <tentative hand raised at the back of class>
    Sir, what about the bike leg?
  • oh carp! here goes....
  • The Bike 5.11
    I set out on the bike and all the talk before hand had been how fast the course was, but when we drove it on the Thursday afternoon. I remember telling Sarah that I thought it (and the hills) was a little harder than people gave it credit. Equally, there were parts where you could get really battered by the wind. The first lap seemed to take ages and I really felt like I was behind the time I wanted. There were parts of the course that I simply loved the three hairpin descent turns, the Solarberg Hill and some of the descents, where the fastest I got to was 77kph! At this stage I have to mention the Solarberg Hill, if this is what it’s like on the Tour de France, oh my god! I have never and I think never will experience anything like that in a race every again (unless I do Roth again). It is like nothing I have ever seen, heard or raced through, simply incredible, there were, however were parts on the course where (the back end with the wind) I could have just got off my bike, found the recovery vehicle and gone home. I did really find it hard to get into it during the first lap, that was until I started the second lap then I seemed to liven up and I started to enjoy it more. At this stage my front mech, started to play up and wouldn’t change back up to the big ring, so I just stayed in it instead and struggled my way up the hills hoping it wouldn’t damage me too much on the run. I wasn’t eating much to be honest I just didn’t fancy it, throughout the bike I had 4litres of High 5, 500ml of water, 600ml of Ensure (meal replacement drink) and a couple of sips of High 5 Gel. Even through this was the case I still felt fine and I knew I would have to shift onto coke and water straight away in the run. The enjoyment I was feeling on the second may also have come from the fact that there where a lot more people on the course. The first lap was more like racing in Ironman China, there was hardly anyone, but then on the second lap there was also the relay guys, who were mainly bikers, so I knew they would be strong. I rode for the last 80kms with two strong German riders, every so often each of us would that the lead legally. It was a great help to tell truth and I never really quite realised how much help it would be, we didn’t chat at all until the last 10km, where each of us would encourage each other when each of us took the front. I headed into T2 way, way, way too fast with one of the guys, he stopped safely, giving his bike to the helper, whereas almost flew over the handle bars, with one foot clipped into the peddles. The butch German lady grabbed me by the shoulders and stopped me from going over the handlebars! I then ran off into T2.

• See, even the wasps like Meldys arse!

Fair play Melds, unlucky, wish I was in your league.

• Great reports guys. Meldy so very unlucky hun. Hope you get tothe bottom of the cause, it does sound like asthma. Amazing you managed to keep going despite feeling so awful. Well done. X
    Iron Snorks, what a race congratulations.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Agree with you Hope.  I don't think I would have carried on if I felt that way. Chapeau Meldy!

Snorks - fab report, a great read.  Thank you.

• I can attest to Meldy's determination and bravery, when I caught up with her on the bike she could hardly speak and her breathing was very shallow (albeit on a hill).  If im honest I already thought her race was over and she wouldnt get very much further,  the fact that she did is a testiment to her guts and determination.  In those circumstances making it off the bike was a massive achievement.

Snorks, great report, good to read about the sharp end, Solarberg really was amazing.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I'm loving the reports, thank you!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    great report Snorks and nice to see you in the finishing area after - you look completely different to the Snorks some of us remembered though image

Melds - I still can't decide whether it was determination or stupidity that made you get that far image

• Some great reports there guys,  inspirational......keep them comingimage
  • Nice reports guys.  Unlucky Meldy, but well toughed out.  How you kept going for that long is beyond me.

Snorks, I'm pretty sure it was you how gave me a piratey shout as we crossed paths on the first loop of the run.  If so, thanks for that!

• great report snorks.........eevn if the order was unusual..image
  • Maybe that's the order he did it in....would have made for a long run though....
  • Good to see you Snorks - the plastic surgery has healed well image IMSA gets some good reports and I guessing the timing will mean your training can be done in more reasonable temperatures. 

bassy - he was doing 110kph in a 80kph limit. In car which isn't his, on a road he doesn't know in the dark. It wasn't me being abusive! Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver but somehow there are still a lot of deaths and injuries on the roads.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Meldy - such a shame  image

You've got a lot more guts than me - I've been known to quit a 10k for less image

Hope you are feeling better, and I know you'll be back to kick Germany's arse.

• Im not saying you were wrong Melli, just that you did sound like my mum, who said exactly the same things to my dad when I was a kid!image