Training for the KIMM

I'm wanting to do the KIMM next year with a friend, he already runs FLM so hes fit enough but I've not been running that long. Just a couple 20 min sessions a week.

Do you guys have any advice or training schdule that I could look at/use?

Cheers,

DanielB

Comments

• Someting like the KIMM requires a lot of straight in the legs as there it is entirely cross country up hill and down bog.

He's my 2ps worth

If you are city based, I would follow a marathon training schedule during the week. Something similar to ones suggested in runners world.

At the weekends I would try to get as much time out in a cross country environment as could.

Ultimately you want to be able to withstand 8 hours on a sat and a sun so that is the endurance you are looking for. So bilud up to this over the next 6 months.

Figure in at least 50% of your time out will actually be walking (especially up hill) so make sure you factor this into your training as it does use different muscles.

Get used to nutrition out on the hill for this length of time and try to do a naviagtion course if you can.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Same advice as Caspar. Get fit enough to run a marathon.

Try out you kit in earnest about 1 month before the event (find somewhere like Dartmoor/Peak District/ Snowdon / Lakes etc. or use a long distance footpath) and go out for 2 days with your partner. Don't attempt anything highly ambitious but check the kit is OK, and the food/cooking is OK too)
  • DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE KIMM. If you are marathon fit (which you will need to be) you will be part of the way there. What is the absolute killer is underfoot conditions which tend to be absolutely aweful. This year in Langholm the hills from the start looked wonderful - but hidden on the tops were some nightmarish tussocks. I DNFed this year in the B class along with about 120 other teams. Like many on this forum a DNF does not belong in my vocabulary - I have finished easily the MdS, Iditasport, Desert Cup and with a bit of difficulty the Yukon Arctic 300 - but it is the KIMM that has stuffed me on 2 out of 4 occasions - and it is 100% down to the underfoot conditions - not fitness. MAKE SURE YOU ANKLES ARE LIKE STEEL - AND LEARN HOW TO TAPE YOUR FEET - thats my advice. Apart from that it is a brilliant event.
    One other point - the KIMM tends to avoid paths or more likely is in an area where no paths are evident - so dont be fooled - get used to going across ROUGH particulary across heather and bogs.
    The venue changes each year - but the one consistent factor is hard terrain.
  • Haven't done one myself yet, but a lot of participants come from an orienteering background. Orienteering is a fun way to practise running through horrible terrain while reading a map...
  • I agree with much of LFM's comments except ... If you are marathon fit (which you will need to be) ..

Would disagree with this unless you are doing the Elite, A levels. Navigation is equally and probably more important in the KIMM.
    Not that fitness is not important, it just that I don't believe a marathan would be the ideal preparation.
  • Joe Faulkner does good navigaetion course designed specifically for the kimm (and similar events)

http://www.bamptonpo.com/Navigation.htm

• Ok I concede -
    but I would add - marathon fitness may not be a prerequisite - but in all likelyhood on each day you are likely to be out on the hills for perhaps 6-9 hours and a marathon fit person is more likely to prepared for such endurance than a a 10k fit runner. With regards to navigation Lloyd is spot on - there is no point being a whippet if you cant find your way around.
  • "but in all likelyhood on each day you are likely to be out on the hills for perhaps 6-9 hours "

This is why I mentioned marathon training during the week.

I wasnt saying a marathon is the best training, but if you are city based then the discline and fitness gained from marathon training when you cant get out on the hill is just the ticket.

I agree with Martin about kit, get the lightest and most conftable you can afford or justify buying- and try it out long in advance.

One tip that I picked (although I have never done the kimm) is not have your snacks and kit for the day in your partners pouch on their rucsac- and they have thiers on yours- that way you dont need to take your rucsac off whilst on the move

(assuming you have more snacks etc that can fit in your pocket!)
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Most good running ruc-sacs have mesh pockets for bars etc.

Navigation is key, when the viz is down to 50 metres (like day 1 of this years Saunders) the ability to run straig onto a control, or quickly re-locate is very important.
    Also when you get to a control, already have the route to the next planned. If you faff around for only a few minutes at each control it adds up to 20-30 minutes at the end of the day.

You really do need to be marathon fit, not fast, just bags of endurance and the only way to get it is to do long runs (or run/walks).
  • aha.. i looked at joe faulkners courses.. looks good... any first hand feedback caspar ?
  • I had an excellent time, and it was cheaper than other alternatives.

Basic navigation was assumed, but didnt need to be in depth

Agenda was as follows-

Arrive and camp in Friday night.
    Saturday -
    -intro talk/ lecture on naviagtion/ kimm/ adventure racing
    -6 hours approx wih an instructor in teams no bigger than 4. What you go through depends on the teams experience (several people when I went had previously done the course- so it can be quite tailored)- but includes things like taking a bearing pacing , route selection
    - another lecture on gear/ equipment/ nutirion for the kimm/ adventure races
    - 2 hour night navigation exercise in teams of 4

Sunday
    -mini mohntain marathon approx 4-6 hours depending on how good you are. You put it all into practice in teams or on your own.
  • cool.
    might look into it again.