Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Duncan:  the 1/2 in November is run by the Jersey Spartans running club - serious runners, unlike me!!  It is a hard one as a lot of hills, somehow mainly up not a lot down.  Am thinking of doing it myself but will decided in September.

NGUG:  the interview is for Ed not Mr PF!!!  Will be in jersey for 5 years if not longer - not that I mind it is such a great place to live.  Must admit the body boarding was great fun and I didn't get cold as was in my wetsuit!! 

HS:  it is a fab place to be, I do love it here.

No running for me today - but have an 8 - 10 miler tomorrow same route as last week, which actually ended up being an 11.5 miles!!  Happy weekend to you all!!imageimage

• Hi Duncan - of course this is the BEST PLACE to hang out, but you can pose your Amsterdam specific comments on this thread here.

Lots of gardening work today including digging back all the soil that split out of it's bank in a tremendous rain storm about 10 days ago. Mixed the soil in with cement powder so it binds better and is less likely to come out again. But mixed it all with a shovel in a barrel and now have suitably achey shoulders.

Then did some work cutting back some trees, both by hand and with my chainsaw. More achey shoulders. Then did an 8k recovery run, cooked a somewhat tasty turkey stir fry with loads of fresh veggies and now for BIG glass of red wine with my beloved. In the words of Nick Heywood...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hey team, I join you briefly from Dom.Republic. 15 mins free internet so i'll be brief. Weather hot and clammy. Food fantastic I must have gained 1 kilo already- free food and drink all day and night. But the running is cr@p so not burning any of it off. Take care....image
  • OO: keep smiling - sounds like you are having an awful time with all that food and drinkimageimage 

Am sitting here contemplating the world surrounded by 2 dogs and a very daft cat!!  Will be going out for my lsr this morning at about 8am - am actually looking forward to blowing some cobwebs away.  The only slight hic-up is that Mr PF  has organised to meet me at local beach cafe for bacon sarnies at 9.30 with dogs for a walk, he has now mentioned that we are meeting up with some work colleagues - gee how impressive will I be in my, by then, sweaty running stuff!!  Hey ho!¬!!!

HG:  how is the leg?

Katb:  enjoying the holidays!! 

• PF hope the bacon sarnie meeting went well. I'm sure the workmates would be very impressed with you.

I did my lsr this morning.  I wasn't sure if I should with my back still being sore, but it doesn't hurt at all when I'm running, so maybe the physio was wrong. Anyway I managed 1hr 55 mins and could've gone for longer as it was a very very slow run only just over 9 miles. Some woman in a taxi shouted F off to me as I was running up a very steep hill, so I phoned the taxi company and complained but they couldn't do anything about it as she was a passenger.  Why do people do that?  Low mentality maybe?

Speed session tomorrow.

• Katb: the meeting was good, although the guy Mr PF was linking up with obviously thought I was totally barking as frist thing I did was remove runners and socks and walked into the sea!!!  Isn't this what every one does after a long run? its a fab substitute for a cold bath!!!  Did say to me as we departed that no-one would think I'd just run 9miles,  I had changed my clothing by this point!!

It was a lovely 9 miler yesterday ran up to a place called Grontez, then discovered a footpath that I had never been along so ran through some woods and up and down steps, back on main drag and round running track around the airport, then dropped down to St Ouen's bay and did last mile along the beach.  So all terrains covered, road, off road, hills and beach running!!  9 miles in 1hr 20mins so well pleased with no adverse effects on my legs and feel fine this morning, but beach this afternoon for body boarding!!!!!

• Morning all!!

Fi - good luck to Ed with the job application (dont know why I thought it could be Mr PFimage).  Ms NGUG off on her first driving lessons this morning - watch out Essex!!  Enjoy your body boarding - sounds fun.

ATM - not sure if I can get my entry fees back re Amsterdam.  I had asked them defer last year and thus didnt have to pay for this years entry so I am not sure I will bother to do anything this year..image

Family outing to Toy Story 3 last night - would recommend it if anyone is thinking of going.  Not sure that the 3D effect was that brilliant but the film itself very, very good did not disappoint. 

10km bike ride and 10km run for me on Sunday legs felt very heavy so didn't bother doing anything more than that.  Loads of cyclists around on Sunday morning all very friendly kept on saying hello and waving.

Katb - I've had that before never quite understand the motivation why bother shouting obscenties to someone who is running easy target?  Feel threatened - by what?  Just dont get it. 

• Morning everyone,

Fiona  where can i get a couple of the route map for the Jersey half in November as it is not on the Spartons web page

• Duncan - I think that everything is done by post - try emailing them and see what they come up with!!!  I know the entry is postal not on-line!!

NGUG:  just a 10km bike and 10km run my goodness woman that is brill!!  Clouded over and had to stay in for electrician - oh bother, so am in the porcess of baking my "flour" free brownies and baking bagle;s - what a domestic goddess am Iimageimage

• NGUG that's fantastic but don't you go overdoing it.  We don't want you on the bench again. Build up gradually.

PF you're becoming quite the nigella of Jersey. 

I've had a really lazy day today and as a result eaten all sorts of bad things the worst of which was a magnum temptation. Thank goodness that was the last one.

Didn't go to speed session as I was too bloated after all the junk, so must make up for it tomorrow morning.

• Katb:  never got round to baking the bagels - too fiddly, made bread instead!!  The brownies are/were delicious.  TD excellent for us gluten free people!! 

Being lazy today - very foggy here so not trotting until later (maybe) of most likely tomorrow morning with the larks, oh happy days everyone - only two weeks until summer holiday in south of france!!!

• Hi folks - the flour-free baking sounds lovely Fiona. Even the slightest contamination of my food now with gluten sets me off, so I have to be very careful.

This is my first 110km week on the program, having had a (88km) cut back week last week. So here I am all fresh and recovered! Did a fab 16km with 8km Lactate Threshold this morning. Was cool, overcast and dry, so ideal for going a bit quick. Did all my 8 faster kms between 4:00 - 4:10m/km and felt really good with HR not going over 90% (so a bit more left in the engine).

AND, I finally broke through the 10% body fat thing on my scales - first time ever, 9.9%. It's not a goal or anything, just a sign that the training is working. Hope everyone is having fun over there.

• Hi everyone, new to this thread and am planning to run Paris in 2012 (they do say it's wise to plan ahead!).

Can't make 2011 due to family commitments, but will be doing the Chester marathon. My plan is to run a 6 nations of marathons. Already done:

Ireland - Dublin (great)

England - Nottingham (ok)

Italy - Rome (amazing)

Scotland - Loch Ness (terrific)

I know Chester is in England, but part of the course goes through Wales, so in my mind, it counts, so once I've done this, it only leaves France, which means Paris.

Am training fairly hard at the moment for no particular reason, but have got a 10 miler in Sept and the Rivington half in Oct.

No marathon this year and it sounds crazy, but I'm missing it! 

• TD: not a trace of gluten in this brownie recipe - chocolate, eggs, ground almonds, sugar and butter thatis it - oh and some optional drived fruit to complete the one of the 5 a day requirements!!  In nigella express - they are so fab and a lovely reward after a 110km week of runningimage.  Did some strides last week - thoroughly enjoyable in an odd way!!  Legs are feeling great this afternoon - was a wise decision not to go out this monring will have a far more productive run tomorrow.  Did 27 miles in total last week - very pleased with that so having a slightly less mieage this week just to keep ticking over should be around 25miles. 

xe: welcome to the thread - you'll have a fab time in Paris 2012 not doubt we will still be going strong!!

• xe - how about taking on the Snowdonia marathon as a memorable (but tough) run?
  • TD - thanks for the sugestion, I've considered it in the past and haven't ruled it out for the future.

I might still be able to enter 2011 as I've just checked the school holidays, and they fall perfectly for the race.

Eurostar from Stockport, couple or three nights in a reasonable hotel shouldn't break the bank of Xe.

I know all these questions will already have been asked, and I apologise for not being bothered to read back 13 pages, but:

1. When can we register

2. How easy is it to get to the expo

3. Where is the best and most reasonable place to stay

All info is greatly appreciated and I'm desperately trying not to get carried away with the prospect!!image

• Hello xe.

1. Registration should open September time. Stick around and I'm sure there'll be some excited critters on here capable of being more precise closer to the date...

2. The expo is really easy to access, by metro or by car. It's held at a big conference complex to the South of the city, just off the peripherique (ring road) and there's a metro right outside. ATM will fill you in on the best places to get a coffee shortly... image

3. Personally, I stayed in a Holiday Inn this year, again, it was on the outskirts (Port de Saint-Ouen) but this isn't a problem with a Metro ticket. Can't remember exact prices but considering the cost of the city, I remember it being very very reasonable. A couple of friends came to see us and they stayed in a hostel closer in. They paid a LOT more than we did, though they were fairly central.

4. Get as carried away as you like, they're all nutters in here and not many people will notice... image

SlowEngineer may just have entered the OMM...
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Morning, all.

It's me birfday image..Ah, 30...a hard age.What shall I do when I look my looks....?image Anyway, running buddy coming to take me for my first, early morning,new category run. Think I'll keep entering Paris 'til everyone else is dead and get to be first Scotswoman home. On the Monday...

Welcome to the thread xe. Enter 2010. Save, madly....Learn to photosynthesize and cut down on those crippling food bills. Buy another jumper and turn the heating off.  * Of course, I'm not going to recommend anywhere for a coffee, SE! Doubt if any of us can afford that..image * SE's advice is good...You can stay further out a lot cheaper.What about a hotel on a direct Metro line...1,2 or 6... and you're sorted. The Transport System  is good. Get carried away! ( We'll help...)

SE, the OMM? Is that the one where you only find out where it actually is when it's too late? image Is it this year or next? Explain yourself, man...

I'm working hard , these days, but reading madly...10% TD? It's all come over here to me...And the injury bench is emptying, at last.Yeah!

Pouring outside...Jersey's sun seems a long way off..And the DR, this ain't.

• Many happy returns ATM image

Think I've already found a cracking hotel, just need them to provide a family room and we'll be set. IF we do decide to go for 2011, we'll be travelling on our little boy's birthday, so we can save money by telling him his present is a really long train ride!! image

I ran Rome last year and nothing could be more expensive than there - £7 for a bottle of Peroni - ouch! 

• Morning all!!

Happy birthday ATM!!!imageimage 30?  You dont look a day over 21image Have a good one..

OMM - SE tell all!!

xe - welcome to the thread..

PF - or should we rechristen you Princess Nigella?  Two weeks until our hols too - off to Turkey this year hope its not going to be too hot..

TD - 9.9% are you sure?! Blimey you are wasting away.. hope the shin splints are okay..

Still waiting to hear from the hospital with details of when I am going to see the surgeon.. three weeks now since I was referred thought going private was supposed to make things quicker.. have emailed phoned nothing.  Slightly dreading the flight to Turkey as it will involve 3-4hrs of sitting down so likely to trigger my hip off again image

• ATM - happy birthday to you ** in my best dark sunglasses, dreadlocks, sat at a piano kind of way **, happy birthday to you, happ-eeee buuuu-rthday.......

Absolutely cream-crackered this morning. 23k before work. A certain deadness in my quads and glutes after yesterday's tempo running. But it's more miles in the bag. And I'm sure it's no problem at all to fall asleep for an hour or so at my desk....

Yes NGUG, I was shocked when I saw a number less than 10 too for body fat. It's just a dip - today it was 10.8%, but it's the first time I've had a dip that low. But my weight isn't dropping any, which is good. Shin splint seems to be holding together. 2-3 times a day I self-massage and that seems to be doing the trick.

Building up to a 34k run on Sunday, which I can happily admit, I'm looking forward to with fear and dread.

• Morning ATM, happy birthday !!!!!!!
  • Wahhhhh got my appointment!!! Had emailed the hospital again yesterday - emailed response this morning and then a telephone call and an apology..  Seeing the consultant at 6.30pm on Monday!!  From speaking to the doctors assistant he is only one of 2 surgeons who do this type of work in the country...
  • HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE BITHDAAAAAAAAAAAAY ATM!

And congrats NGUG for finally getting your appointment through, 'bout time too.

I'm having a rather successful week so far, though feeble in comparison to TD's exhausting schedule. On Monday I ran not one, not two, not three but four miles without pain. Woohoo! I am NOT going to overdo it and land right back at square one yet again (cue much bashing round the head) so tonight I'm going back to three miles. It's progress though. Progress is good. And what's more I'm really enjoying my runs too. I also managed 60 lengths of proper front crawl last night and I'm chuffed with that too - okay so I'm slow and seem to swallow half the pool but it all counts.

SE what's OMM??
  • Happy Birthday, ATM.

Have a lovely day and a lovely run.
  • It's all good news here - ATM is one year wiser, NGUG is getting the treatment she needs, Helterskelter is turning her injury around and is apparently able to breathe underwater (guess there's no surprises that a Scot would be the first human to evolve gills!) and both Hunky Dunky AND Rockhopper Penguin are back baby!

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday ATM image imageimage

Thought i would pop in again, or should i say for the first time on this new thread. Tried to have a quick look at earlier posts, then realised it wont be long before the entries open for next year...oh happy days.
    Anyway as i am quite content to have another crack at Paris, ive gone and booked my hotel already. Thought it was pointless waiting, nothing else planned for the spring.

Hope everybody is fit and well, image   

• Happy birthday ATM I posted a message earlier but it seems to have got lost.

NGUG well done on getting your appointment. Just goes to show what persistence does.

HS great stuff with the swimming. I'd love to do a front crawl properly.

GP welcome back. Which hotel have you booked then?

SE OMM??? come on spill.

• Any help with a family room? 2 grown ups and one 4 year old?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Always scared to recommend ...but what about something like  this, xe? Walking distance from Start...Triple, with bath. There are lots of others round about ... 'Bigger selection, further out.It really depends on what you want...What age is the wee one? How far can he/she walk? 

60 lengths, HS? Wow! That's fab...  You sounds just right for the August 2011 (?), British Gas, Strathclyde Loch, Open Water swim...1 mile... Just swim and survive....   C'mon. We could practise over the winter and then.... image * Says the woman who can, currently, do 7 lengths, crawl...*

55 feels, surprisingly, like 54...but, obviously, wiser...