Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

imageATM:  an belated but none the less heartfelt - HAPPY BIRTHDAY image - hope you had a fab one!!

NGUG: great news about the consultant's appointment!!  On the home straight now for getting it fixed.

Have been lazy this week - feeling off colour, and adsolutely drained of any energy so am going out for first trott this morning will see how the legs feel and probably only do 4 - 5 miles, if not less.  Don't know what is wrong but have also lost weight goodness knows why!!  But hey ho - not pushing the training as nothing to really concentrate on except keeping body and soul together for the Paris training to begin.  Told Mr PF that intend to do Paris next year - his face was a picture - but I know he'll be fine about it as he so loves Paris.  Will only be he and me for the weekend what a lovely peaceful time that will be - of except the little bit of exercise of 26.1 miles on the sunday morning!!!  Talking about it makes me feel quiet excited!!!!

• Options

Thanks ATM, we're not really used to dealing with children as we only adopted him this year. He's 3 and will be 4 the day before the race.

He's already got the running bug and has been to watch a couple of races already.

PF - I had a similar response from Mrs Xe when I told her that I quite fancied doing Paris, but she's already in favour of it. Good luck with the gentle run today -you'll soon get back in the swing.

Am I right in thinking that the race start around 9 am? This is very civilised, and means that we can explore Paris for the rest of the day once we've showered.

Much better than starting at 10 or 11.

• Options

xe - ahhh bless I am adopted too.. it must be hard starting at the terrible 3s!!  My eldest used to have dreadful tantrums at that age.. At 3 I would definitely go for a family room.  Last year the race was circa 8.45 and it did mean that we were able to go to the Louvre and up the Eiffel Tower in the afternoon.  Its a really nice little break and our two kids (17 and 9) both really enjoyed it.

PF - glad to hear that the arm twisting workedimage Sorry to hear that you are not feeling good again.. A weekend in Paris in the Spring sounds r.romantic..

HS - jeez Mrs are you training for the Olympics?! 60 lengths v.impressive.. Really wish I could do the front crawl properly must get lessons at some stage - young Master NGUG puts me to shame he swims beautifully - his butterfly is wonderful to watch.

GP - nice to see you back Mr.  Any news of RP? 

Old PT David for me tonight and Miss NGUG - she was v.keen to go which is good.  Second driving lesson for her yesterday and she seems to be doing well from what I can gather.

• Options

Well feel much better for getting out and running - did 4 miles not worrying about the pace of time, but when got back found had been out for only 35mins so very pleased.  But now feeling drained - oh but then the regular "womans" thing turned up this morning - it all makes sense now!!  Why oh why does it drain me so much - any offers with solution to this age old issue?!?

NGUG:  have felt tired and just "queasy" for 4 days - then good old monthly issue turned up - wish I knew why it is making me feel so awful, thought I'd have grown out of it by now!!!!  I've had enough of this malarky I really don't want to play this game any more!!!  Never mind do feel better for running it just is if I stop doing stuff I feel awful!!  So pleased Ms NGUG enjoying the PT and driving, Master PF interview (group stage) went well, now waiting for call back (hopefully)  over 500 applicants for 25 jobs, 100 called for group interview and then whittled down to the 25 successful candidates - oh well will just wait and see.

• Options
    PF - glad that there is an explanation for you not feeling good - what us women have to put up withimage Good luck to Master PF fingers and toes crossed for him... old PT is quite easy on the eye so I think this might be a little bit of an incentive for young Ms NGUG to go back again...but hey whatever if it gets her exercising..
  • Options

Morning all..   very busy time..  work is just manic, Double Iron Man tri next weekend and no time to think about it yet...

Taking the day off today though...   its our wedding anniversary  imageimage     So..  me and Mrs DV are going to spend the day at Chessington on the roller-coasters having some fun and then we have a date at a very posh restaurant this evening...

• Options

NGUG - you are so right about the age thing - he was two and a half when he came to us and has a history of being uprooted and moved a few times, so couipled with his age, our first few months with him were truly awful, and I seriously doubted whether we had done the right thing, as we were used to fancy holidays staying at swanky hotels, where ever and when ever we wanted - all that has changed now!

But to be fair, he is settled now and a really happy little boy, albeit a spirited and determined young chap - (which as we all know means he is naughty!image)

DV - blimey, good effort and good luck for next w/e. Enjoy the day today and the meal tonight.

PF - keep your chin up - exercise often works for Mrs Xe. 

• Options

xe - hats off to you re young master Xe.  Toddlers at the best of time can be extremely exhausting!  I was only six weeks old when my mum got me so I think it was a bit easier in some ways.  So glad that he has settled with you now - much better for him to be in stable surroundings by the sounds of things.image 

DV - good luck re the Iron Man we expect pictures!  And congrats on the anniversaryimage

• Options

xe:  what a lovely chappie he soundsimage

thanks for the advice NGUG and xe, running does work it just is the tiredness that really gets to me, by 9.30pm I;m fit for nothing but my bed!!!  Hey ho, will feel fab by saturday!!!!

DV:  Ironman of steel that's what you are!!  Enjoy chessington and the posh dinner!!!

• Options
    Ummm....I didn't mention I had to stop every two lengths to catch my breath did I?! I have booked myself in for 'improver' lessons and they start in a couple of weeks time so I'm looking forward to that. If I could just sort out the breathing then I'm sure the rest would sort itself out because it doesn't tire me physically. ATM that sounds like a challenge and a half! However....I do like challenges and it would be something to aim for....think I'll just take a quick look at that website....after all it wouldn't do to let you enter by yourself!!

Fingers crossed all round for Master PF and I hope you're feeling a bit better yourself PF.

DV on the rollercoasters - sounds brill. A double ironman though - that sounds terrifying but hats off to you and good luck, you are a machine after all.
  • Options

Helter: feeling much better thank you - have just sat down!!! 

Can you all keep crossing whatever you are crossing as it si working: Master PF has a second one to one interview on the 9 August with the well know partnership store!!!  Boy its tough out there!!!

Will go for a 5 miler tomorrow and then put Miss PF on a plane to sunny southampton for weekend of shopping with Auntie - she's going to be thoroughly spoit I know!!image

• Options

HS - I think you are allowed to breathe at the end of a length!  Improver lessons sound a really good idea - something I need to do at some stage..

Cool Fi - crossing everything for Master PF.  Empty house for you this weekend then.. young Master NGUG off on a sleepover tonight so we will be quite quiet too..

Just over 4kgs lost with old PT - hard session with him last night will ache tomorrow.  Ms NGUG on the rowing machine when I had finished most bizarre seeing her exercise so much..  

Friday here again have a good one!

• Options

Crumbs NGUG - 4kgs lost in what, a week or two?! Of course, from my pov that would be horrific, but I know you ladies love that sort of thing because you all believe that men are only interested in standing next to stick figures.

Really enjoyable 18k this morning. 65k so far this week, 45k to do this weekend. This month will be my longest month by a long way (I think 427km compared to previous, pre-Paris best of 372km). And I still feel OK on it, which is a bit of a surprise to me. I was happiest of all that my avg HR for today's run was only 78% (cooler conditions helped) while pace of 4:43m/km was ok.

It's a really good sign of progress to be able to run a specific speed but with a lower HR. When I get into the speed phase of training, it should mean I've got a bit more HR capacity to run faster. The interesting temptation that is coming into my mind is whether or not I might be closer to the sub3 hour mark than I realised? Maybe in 6 weeks time I'll have a bit more info to assess that, so for now, I'll file it in the back of my mind as a "happy thought".

Wishing you all a wonderful day. image

HS - on a Finding Nemo theme - "just keep breathing, just keep breathing....."

• Options

TD - hats off to you, that is serious mileage (or kilometres). I'm managing to do around 30 - 35 miles each week, but this would increse nearer to any race. Sorry I can't convert this into kilometres.image

Good luck to young Master PF - I understand it's a great place to work and they really look after you. (unlike us public sector workersimage)

Good weekend everyone.

• Options

Thanks for all of you crossing everything for Master PF - very much appreciatedimage.

A lovely brisk 6.31miles in 52.45 mins, for me this morning at 6.20am - couldn't sleep for some reason so got up and went out!  Very happy with how my legs were feeling a great, I think it is anyway, tempo run!! 

3 miler with friends hubby tomorrow and then dragging him out on sunday for a 8 - 10 miler, although he doesn't know it yet I did tell him to bring his runners, should be fun to have some company.

Mr PF now on board for the Paris marathon so really happy, roll on september for registrationimageimage.

Have decided that this sickness feeling is all due to those wonderful things called hormones, would have thought at my age they would have given  up the ghost but oh no!!!!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/Tesco_Medical_Certificate.jpg

image It'll soon be time to get one of these...

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    On the way back from the club last night, was overtaken on the motorway by a black sports car. Made note of the number plate though...PF 1.  Thought of you fiona, and she was cruising.image
  • Options

Went to the gym this morning to try the back out on the dreddie and it seemed Ok so I'm going to attempt the cirencester half.  It's a 2 lap course so I can always drop out if needs be but I don't think that'll happen knowing me don't want any dnf's on my record. Then straight off to Dartmouth for 2 weeks hopefully in the sunshine.  I'm really fed up with the rain we've been having up north.

PF Keeping everything crossed for master PF. Hope miss pf isn't taking your credit card to southamptonimage. I don't think I've ever shopped in Southampton, the nearest was Portsmouth. There's one of those discount retail shopping centres near the spinaker tower which is quite good if you like designer type stuff.

NGUG 4kgs is amazing.  Well done you.image

• Options

Evening all..   Mrs DV and me had a brilliant day at Chessington yesterday to celebrate our wedding anniversary..   we did all the major rides about 5 times and it was great fun  image  Then, a fab meal in a super-posh restaurant that would normally be well above our price range but we wanted to celebrate in style..  I even put an ironed shirt on especially   image

The next two couple of weeks are going to be just manic...  work is just insanely busy and I have the Double next weekend but then we have a week off afterwards and a holiday in Devon to relax.  I don't think I have time to do any training this weekend, but will try to get down to Dover on Sunday and have another go at my 2 hr qualifying swim.  Might try and do a 50 mile bike and  20 mile run brick session tomorrow morning though.

In the meantime..  keep up the good work..!

• Options

Morning all!

Just off out for an 8 miler - grey and damp here - perfect running weather!image

• Options

And goede morgen bonjour from Belgïe Belgique.

Starting a week off work, but working on the house. Need to find a glazier so i can do something with fancy coloured glass. Missing a family wedding in the north of England today and that pains me. But going to a Jamaican-Lebanese wedding in Brussels instead - what serendipity!

11km with strides to look forward to today and already nervous about the big 'un tmrw. Happy shopping/ cruising/ working/ deep sea diving/ holidaying/ running/ recovering one and all.

• Options
    York Jane Tomlinson 10k for me today.... Stuck in traffic at mo which is starting to get a bit of a worry as the race starts at 9, especially as I have got to source some safety pins!
  • Options

Hope you all had a fab weekend!!

GP:  I obviously lent my car to someone of importance!!! 

Katb:  Ms PF went to s'hampton friday and moved on to Gun Wharf (the one near the spinaker tower) saturday - consequently her bank account is now empty!! Master PF has a one to one interview which is amazing considering the number of applicants!!

Very lazy day for me - no trotting!!  Having a run at about 6.30am tomorrow morning which am looking forward to!!

TD:  how were the strides?

DM:  did you get to the race?

• Options

Hello all and welcome xe.  I really must look at this thread more often as its just taken me 45 mins to catch up (yes I do read slow, it is after all the summer hols!!!!!)  NGUG -  really glad that you have the appointment tmz, fingers crossed for you, and I agree with you about Toy Story 3, thought it was great, laughed more than my son but agree with you about the 3D.    Belated Happy Birthday wishes to ATM.  TD - if I understand this right by next April you would have disappeared altogether.

Ive done 3x 3mile runs since my cast came off, and im afraid to say I am not pain free.  Got slight pain back in the shin bone, nothing like it was after Paris but it is there.  Due to see the consultant at end of Aug so I shall take it easy till then, will try and do lots of swimming on holiday rather than run and see what happens.

Katb - dont you just love Sunday evenings when you dont have to go to work in the morning image

• Options

got to race in time...just, also managed to scrounge some safety pins thanks to the st johns ambulance crew.

york is a lovely course although very narrow and very busy so not one for setting a quick time on i think.  not that this is an excuse on my part, i haven't run enough since paris to get anything i would be remotely 'pleased' with.  a bit of running on cobbles, past the minster, castle & city walls all make for a very picturesque run.

the race itself seemed well organised although we were late in starting, something to do with waiting for bbc radio york to finish the news before they could cut to the start! then followed 10k of weaving in and out. my late arrival meant i was very far back and there is now graded start.

my race quickly developed into a competetion between me and the gingerbread man. now he is mighty quick but there is no way i was going to be pipped by anyone in fancy dress.  i must confess i was getting worried at 6k that he might have a mo farrah kick in him but i think i must have ground him down. scobby doo was no such challenge and quickly buckled at 7k image 

seriously though running in full fancy dress strikes me as a bonkers thing to do but fair play to the guys running today...i dread to think how quick they would be without the costumes.

all in all a good day out.  spoilt only slightly by the queue on the way in and also the lunacy of the organisers in decided that the course should go through the runners car park near the racecourse.  this meant that runners were still on the course when some of the earlier finishers were trying to exit the car park.  utter madness.

next race is nottingham half.  many many miles to be run between now and then and hopfully back to paris training fitness before too long.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    evening all. No running here in Dom. Rep. just eating- must have put on 5 kilos. Still I have taken a scuba diving course and am qualified  to dive in open sea water. Those 5 kilos came in handy..... 
  • Options

Morning all.. and good evening to OO..  image  hope you are having a good time out there...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, did I see you delivering milk  this morning?  You're going to pass SE on his way home ...

Lovely early morning run for me...nice soft rain.* I agree, xe, perfect for running...* I did my LSR, yesterday...stress on ' slow'...with my running buddy a bit behind me. 'Suddenly heard footsteps approaching at amazing pace...We were in the middle of nowhere....I thought she'd sprouted wings. But it was a real runner...possibly doing his own LSR but going like the clappers. We could only stand and stare...Anyway, we were stopped a while later by a chap who invited us to join his running group.We mentioned the lad who'd passed us and turns out he IS a really good runner. He made it look easy.... image

Welcome back to running dm...

Enjoy the hols'HG and OO.

• Options

Morning all!!

Very early start for you DV or was it evening 4am?!? 

OO - take it easy out there and enjoy the scuba diving.

HG - sorry to hear that you are still in pain not good.. what did the consultant say should you be anticipating some pain?  My appointment with hip consultant is tonight so feeling a bit apprehensive know its going to be an op - trying to book it in amongst work etc. going to be a nightmare.  Two weeks of hols followed by an op?? Ummm might not go down well...

We are off on Friday on our hols - young Master NGUG went away for a sleep over at the weekend and came back with a stinking cold headaches, sweat really not himself - v.bad timing.  Is with Mr NGUG today as I am looking after my work and someone else's at the moment so hope that he is going to be okay tomorrow...

TD - stick like is not what I am!!  Curvy more like - whilst I have nothing else to aim for I thought I might as well focus on knocking some of the weight off.. put on loads after Paris not sure why.  All my holiday clothes seem to have been put in the hot wash as they dont seem to fitimage

• Options

OO:  scuba diving wow - would love to try that, are you planning career change!!

ATM:  I'm with you, went out on a lovely run this morning - all on my lonesome trotting round the lanes at 6.45, fab!!!  Did 7 miles with not a twinge anywhere!! 

Am obviously learning that if I run when tried that;s when injury occurs! Missed the lsr yesterday as absolutely shattered and not really sure why - happening a lot recently the tiredness is draining!!  Feel fab this morning though.  Will do 3 tomorrow, 7 again weds, and 3 friday.  Then try will do the lsr on sunday probably about 10 - 12 miler!!   If only I can work out why I'm getting so tried it is quite ridiculous, perhaps I need to revert to having an afternoon napimage.