Talkback: Honey Breakfast Fruit Cake

Not bad but grating the squash was hard work! The cake has a very strong almond flavour and the texture is quite firm and moist. If my calculations are right a slice of this has about 390 calories which is more than some of the traditional cake recipes I have. 

Comments

• Not bad but grating the squash was hard work! The cake has a very strong almond flavour and the texture is quite firm and moist. If my calculations are right a slice of this has about 390 calories which is more than some of the traditional cake recipes I have. 
  • Not sure how I managed to post the above twice...sorry about that.
  • If you reduce the almond essence two about 1/2 (or 2/3) and the amount of honey by 25g or so it tastes much better image
  • Made this cake the other day, it was very nice! good alternative to a unhealthy cake as it has a sweentess factor! Grating butternut squash is a pain though!

Also a good boost ahead of exercise! aswel as after!

vellooo it does not matter about the calories, its where they come from , which in this case, its all natural, which can only be good for you!

Happy Running image

• HealthyRunner hi, the calories don't bother me personally (I did make the cake afterall) but consuming more calories than you use will lead to weight gain no matter how 'good' they are. The way I read the article it seemed to say that because there was no butter in the cake it was 'guilt free' which could be interpreted as having fewer calories. It might have fewer calories per 100 grams than traditional cake - I don't know because that information wasn't given. 

Enjoy the cake.  

• Fair point vellooo, thats very true! image i wasnt trying start an argument by the way. its just a cake after all lol!

I suspect the most of the calories come from almonds and the honey!

Out of intrest how did you work out the calorie content?

• Hi HealthyRunner
    I just checked the cals on the individual ingredients added them all together and divided by the number of slices suggested. It's a bit anal I know....
  • The honey cake is an all round winner at my house. I substitute the almond extract with vanilla extract which gives it a lovely taste. If I have realy worked hard i will have a slice with  extra honey drizzeled on top and ice cream on the side. No I am not 22 stone but a very energetic 8 stone running addict
  • Made the cake  2day, it was very nice! good alternative to a unhealthy cake as it has a sweentess factor and no butter! I used a food proccsser to grate the butternut squash.

I also used one less egg and less almonds and added wholemeal instead - which i believe will reduce the calorie content. It also added a bit more bulk to the cake which is nice. Make a fill slightly fuller.

I will be making the cake again.

• For a wheat free version instead of flour I used 3 oatibix which I soaked  in 1/4 pint milk and then used only 2 eggs. I Used tinned pumpkin instead of butternut squash (waitrose) cos I'm lazy but although the recipe says butternut squash the instructions refer to "pumpkin mixture" so I suspect it's adapted from an american recipe. It was delicious but could do without the almond extract. I might try making it again with Mrs Butterworth's sugar free syrup (I brought a bottle back from the USA recently) instead of honey to lower the calories a bit.
  • I'm not a great baker but made this and loved it. Any ideas how to adapt to a ginger and apple version with limited wheat and added sugar or even a recipenfrom scratch?
  • Part cook the squash to male it slightly softer and then easier to grate. BUT be carefull to not cook to much image