Marathon under 3 hrs 45 minutes

Folks,

I ran Paris this year in 4 hours and 14 minutes. I am registered for Florence in Nov 28. I would like to run it in 3 hours and 45 minutes.  I am 37 yrs old, 176cm, and 74kg. 

Since Paris, I have been cycling and have done 4 100mile+ events. At this point I want to start preparing for Florence.

What do I need to do ? All advice related to weight loss and especially training would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Tolga

Comments

• Tolga

In a nutshell, 1 tempo run, at around 1/2M pace 1 speedwork sesssion, 1 long run at MP + 30secs per mile, 3 aerobic sessions with one at MP, if possible make one of the aerobic runs a semi long run.

You don't say if your male / female, what is is your current 10K, 1/2M PB's ? You would need to be able to run 10K somewhere close to 45  mins & 1/2M about 1-45 to run a 3-45 marathon, I would say your weight is OK but its up to you less weight improves the power to weight ratio. I don't know what your current weekly mileage is but I would suggest that you want to have a least three weeks in the 50 -60 MPW bracket, with ideally 2 or 3 long runs around 20 miles ( I like to go longer but its not essential) The speedwork session should be varied each week say 10 x 400M one week 6 x another, 5 or 6 x 1K another, what you can do rather depends on your experience. Joining a club would undoubtedly help

Good luck

• This is great, much appreciated. I am male. I don't have my current 10k but 1/2 marathon I was last at 1 hour and 58 minutes.

By the way, I also found this for those interested: Running a Marathong under 3.5 hours

• Your present 1/2M time indicates a marathon time of almost exactly what you achived in Paris, up the speedwork and the miles. The cycling should have given you a aerobic base. Race some 10K's there a good indication of present fitness and don't take too much out of you