IronMan Tattoo's

Comments

• Yep, cross the line and get a red hot poker across yer arse

That'll deter the bandwaggoners   image
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    shouldn't that say CXL.VI as it's strictly 140.6 miles (did the Romans do decimal btw?? can't remember) or have CCXXIV - metric equiv and no decimals needed
    Someone I know got just that last year "CXL.VI" on his arm.  It does look good although I think I'd still prefer the M dot if I finish next year.
  • I completed IM UK on Sunday, my first IM, and yesterday got the Tat, a small M.Dot on the inside of the right ankle. Covered by socks most of the time, but I know it's there. Had thought about it beforehand, but never having been interested in a Tat before, didn't think I would get it done, but wife and daughter suggested I get it done as a permanent reminder of all the training I'd gone through, and the final achievement. Decided that if I was going to get it, then it had to be almost straight after finishing, so it could heal whilst I recover, and out of swim training.
  • I was going to get one after IMCH last year but just never really got around to it.

This time (after Roth) I'm still tempted but don't think it will happen...yet.

I think deep down I've got some IM related goals that if/when I achieve them then I'll probably get a tat.  Although I'm extrememly proud of my achievements I know that there's plenty more in the tank for me if I really concentrated on structured traning, nutrition, recovery etc.

So....when I qualify for Kona and overtake Chrissie on the Queen K then I'll get my tat!

PS. Loving the pictures, reasons, stories etc. from everyone else.

• I got mine a few days after finishing IMCH this year, bit bigger than planned and right on the back of my calf. It is there as a reminder of the pain and suffering and training and finishing my first IM. I wasn't sure I would do another, but as soon as I finished i decided I would do more. Just glad i didn't get the swiss cross on it or I'd need a new one every time
  • "Just glad i didn't get the swiss cross on it or I'd need a new one every time"

mine has the swiss cross on it (in red, not white as red is a better tat colour) as IMCH was my 1st - I was only ever getting one m-dot tat and it seemed right to me to celebrate where I did it.
  • Mouse - I too think you should get a tattoo done of your avatar - class!
  • I want to see Will's now - Will any chance of posting a picture on here for those who don't do Facebook?
  • Cona wrote (see)

Just need to get the small matter of Sunday out of the way then it's another trip to the tattoo palour for me, just need to seriously think about the 'what'.

You wont have room will you image

Personally I think IM twatoo's are awful

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    "Just glad i didn't get the swiss cross on it or I'd need a new one every time" mine has the swiss cross on it (in red, not white as red is a better tat colour) as IMCH was my 1st - I was only ever getting one m-dot tat and it seemed right to me to celebrate where I did it.
    That was my thinking, but not being too decisive (I had also considered getting IMCH 2010 underneath/inside the M part) I changed my mind at the last second having seen a bloke with 4 M.s with different flag coulours in each all round his ankle. I thought it looked a bit of a mess and it kind of put me off. Is yours in the M or the . ? not that i can change mine now but just interested.
  • Doozer. wrote (see)
    Cona wrote (see)

Just need to get the small matter of Sunday out of the way then it's another trip to the tattoo palour for me, just need to seriously think about the 'what'.

You wont have room will you image

Personally I think IM twatoo's are awful

Who's chipping into the 'Twatoo for Doozer' fund, and volunteers to hold him down while it's done  ?
  • wouldnt really take too many to hold him down ...
  • You would have to catch me first melds!!!
  • MD6 - the red cross is inside the M which is a simple thin black outline. the dot is solid red. it's more an interpretation of the swiss flag but I think it works

• Its ok,  i'll get someone else to do the hard work !
  • I got the logo of TBW and then the M dot after Lanza, over the Lanza sun. I love them both. Strangely, although I wanted one before Roth, I somehow don't feel like I've "earned" it yet - possibly a bit like Funkin in that I have some personal IM goals to achieve that I haven't fully admitted to myself? Not sure really, just know it doesn't feel right to get one now.
  • ah that sounds good, i was loking at the plain red with the white cross in the dot.

*edit for spelling

• I love plums idea of putting something on the bike..

{wonders off to investigate how...}

• white generally doesn't work well in tats - the colour tends to break down after a while or so I have been told by some people and is why I avoided the white on red
  • I have no tattoos at the moment and I am not a tattoo person but I think I would want one if/when I finish IMR next year.

The debate about having a pirate logo if you've not done an IM is interesting.... I have one and think it's totally acceptable. I too race in pirate kit and haven't done an IM but if you weren't 'allowed' to do that then nobosy would race their first IM in kit because they've not completed one yet so I think that point falls flat on its face. I probably wouldn't feel totally happy racing in the kit if I knew I was only going to do sprints, but that's not the case.
  • "I too race in pirate kit and haven't done an IM but if you weren't 'allowed' to do that then nobosy would race their first IM in kit because they've not completed one yet so I think that point falls flat on its face. "

no H - the point does fall flat as the purists point is that the pirate kit was developed for, and worn by, those who had already signed up for an IM and not for shorter tris which is where it's being worn by a large number who have no intention of ever doing an IM which sort of dilutes the original ethos
  • Just had one done after IMCH - R ankle

Corporate logo it may be, but will always remind me of something that, in a very un-British way, I'm quite proud of having done.

Just make sure the tattoist doesn't do it too near your Achilles tendon: that smarted a bit!

• Okay, I get that. I wear it because I have the intention to go long (which I am now signed up for) and like I say, I wouldn't wear it if I was only ever going to do sprints as I wouldn't feel right. Like you say, it was originally developed for IM.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Aitch - I used to worry about kit for this and kit for that and doing an IM or not doing an IM and pirate logos and not having pirate logos and now I just don't give a hoot. That's partly why I don't have a pirate logo, I can't be bothered to get one.

I like the pirates I like, I don't like the ones I don't like.  I listen to the ones I do, and ignore the ones I don't.

However, I did understand the original ethos (but possibly not until after I'd bought the kit) and it's possible I don't care now because I've done it, so it's irrelevant, if you see what I mean.

• LOL that all totally makes sense Mousie! Ditto to most of it, 'cept the bit about having done an IM, not quite there yet but in progress!

Yep I totally get the original ethos and I accept it. I wouldn't have every dreamed of doing a tri if it wasn't for this forum and never imagined I'd ever even consider doing an IM if it hadn't been for pirates talking to me realistically about the prospect and giving me advice and support. There are some seriously brilliant people on this tri forum who make you believe in yourself and your capability when even you don't think about it.
  • The pirate kit may have been designed for IMCH 05 but I'm happy to see it at a super-sprint, very much like Mouse - you can't like all the people in a "collective" in the same way you'll not like everyone in a running or tri club. Lots of clubs start small and expand and whilst you may feel its not like the good old days, you need remember that things grow and take their own direction.

I prefer the IMCH soundtrack - Cougie - I need a new copy, I lost the CD!!!

• *sticks head over the parapet to raise a scenario* aimed at no-one in particular.

Suppose someone trains to do all the IM distances but for a number of potential reasons can't do a full  HIM or IM and would rather take part as a member of a relay team.  That same person still intends to participate in Tri, to maybe Oly distances.  What's the opinion on kit wearing, assuming the IM relay is a Pirate Massive Event.  Are they precluded from wearing kit because they as an individual are not doing full distance?

And another thought?  Does this mean people should not wear Pirate Kit to Nantwich as it's only a sprint, IM finishers excepted?

I am not looking for an argument with anyone here, but I think the kit wearing debate is getting rather tiresome now. 

Can we not just be a virtual club, with no rules, no agendas etc, and just welcome everyone into the world of Tri.  No-one can dispute there are always accusations that the Pirates are a cliquey bunch and TBH the kit wearing debate does nothing to reduce that impression to people that may lurk on these threads.  Are we not a bunch of like-minded fools who love to Tri and all wear yellow and black together?  Why are people being made to feel they have to earn the right to wear kit by signing up for an IM?

And yes, I too also understand the original ethos of the Pirate Ship Of Fools, but things can and do evolve. 

Sorry, that's a massive ramble there, but I had to get that off my chest

*dons tin helmet and returns back behind the sofa*

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Schmunkee - I refer you to

M.ouse wrote (see)

I just don't give a hoot.

I like the pirates I like, I don't like the ones I don't like.  I listen to the ones I do, and ignore the ones I don't.

• 10ft Tall Man just said what I was alluding to a damn sight smarter and shorter than I did image