IronMan Tattoo's

Comments

• Schmunkee - I'm not saying anyone should or should not wear the kit, but I'm not sure I agree with your rational there. Let say, for the sake of argument, the Pirate kit/ brand/ ethos WAS designed just for IM, why SHOULD it "evolve"? Why couldn't people who want a different set of principles/ aims start a new club and make new kit? Do you see my point - perhaps there are some clubs that dont want to reduce themselves to the lowest common denominator. Not everything has to be for everyone; if you dont like it, don't join.

I'm not arguing one way or the other here, just saying that there's no reason for embracing change purely for change's sake.

• I guess the original idea behind the kit has moved on and it's perhaps only a few of us - probably just me actually! - who would like to see the kit "reserved" for IM participants.

but time moves on and I'm a grumpy old git....

• The kit is a fabulous design, ironically the erpson who finialised the design probably hasn't even worn the kit - is he a pirate? Well not sure but he inspired a lot of them.

I've seen pirate kit at running races, sprints, halves and pirate inspired Tough Guy t-shirts (I'd love another of those). The kit gets mentioned, people get curious and now there's more people who have worn the kit and become part fo the club than anyone could possibly imagine,

There's a great friendly rivalry with tripetalk vand its something to feel proud of. Just like IM tats (see what I did there) opinions will differ. I wore pirate kit before I'd done an IM, in fact I first wore it at a marathon.

Love and peace to all and lets not the clique get any more cliquey than it already is.

• there isn't a debate really.

some people think the kit should be reserved for those training for and IM or that have already completed. plenty do not think that. so basically it's up to you what you want to do. personally, it doesn't bother me at all if people want to wear the kit for a sprint tri. in general, a lot of those folks and their friends and family end up on the side of a road, wearing yellow and cheering for IMers and i'm definitely all for that!

i think the problem is that some want universal approval and that's an unrealistic expectation. you're only going to find it tiresome if you're seeking universal approval. just get on with whatever feels right to you. there are always going to be people that don't whole heartedly back your every action but i'm fairly sure this isn't a huge issue even for those that would like to see the kit reserved for IMers. i would guess at most they are very mildly annoyed. i don't know anyone that's all that pissed off!

i don't dispute there are accusations of cliqueiness; i just think it's bollocks. for a start, there is no group. it's a huge number of people now and loads of them don't know each other. many people are sensitive to perceived exclusion and basically look for it in their experiences.

the only really serious offence would be wearing a tritalk top, like one of the new pink tritlak tops image

• fb - the times, the times are changing.

Can we have a special pirate black kit for sub-10 IM peeps?

• Yeah Mouse, I liked that and I agree, however there are some strong personalities amongst these threads who can appear intimidating to others that might not be quite so strong-willed as you and me.

I just wanted to point out (again, to no-one in particular) that arguing about who can and can't wear Pirate Kit does nothing to eradicate allegations of cliqueness etc, and people should be allowed to wear kit for their own personal reasons and be accepted for that.

I know that many wear the pirate kit that only do Sprints etc, but that should take nothing away from those that wear it because they chose not to wear it until they had signed up for IM.  It's horses for courses......

• Then a special super black with red skull for shield holders...then a ....

I'm getting carried away.

• Edited cos I clearly type way too slow...

Still haven't worked out who you are Mr 10 ft tall, but well said. Tis hardly a matter of life and death, and I suspect many of those entering shorter events will either progress to longer, or be along to support at longer events, and the supporters are a huge part of what makes being a pirate a good laugh.

As long as you're not a tosspot, wear the kit, that's my view! image

• Maybe an all white version for Barlos.
  • 10 ft tall man wrote (see)
    Maybe an all white version for Barlos.
    I've been lurking and taking it all in but just feel the need to pop in...................I do think you are now getting well carried away!  You cannot subject us to Barlos in all white. imageimage
  • Nobody should wear all white. Especially not the bloke in white shorts whose bum appeared to be bleeding at Roth.
  • and nude is definitely one step too far........unless tats galore of course.
  • I meant as in "nude" colour - like that crap they use for ice dance and Barlos' fav trampolining.
  • Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Yeah Mouse, I liked that and I agree, however there are some strong personalities amongst these threads who can appear intimidating to others that might not be quite so strong-willed as you and me.

I just wanted to point out (again, to no-one in particular) that arguing about who can and can't wear Pirate Kit does nothing to eradicate allegations of cliqueness etc, and people should be allowed to wear kit for their own personal reasons and be accepted for that.

I know that many wear the pirate kit that only do Sprints etc, but that should take nothing away from those that wear it because they chose not to wear it until they had signed up for IM. It's horses for courses......

i don't see much arguing here. FB stated his case but he's not THAT bothered. He's just giving his opinion since the question came up. I'm pretty sure he's not raging in his bed at night or keeping a little notebook of who is wearing the kit and what races they done.

if people find that upsetting then they need to toughen up a bit.

• DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)
    Nobody should wear all white. Especially not the bloke in white shorts whose bum appeared to be bleeding at Roth.

oh my god!

i remember dr m saying how he cycled behind a guy in stretched white shorts and kept on seeing his ar4ehole.  not sure if he hung around or not.  maybe he got mesmerised and that's where he picked up his drafting penalty image

• DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)

As long as you're not a tosspot, wear the kit, that's my view! image

i'd totally disagree with that! As long as you ARE a toss pot you can wear the kit image

• Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

As a non-pirate, and non-triathlete, but a long time forumite I'll stick my two-penn'th in.

Having watched the PSOF emerge, and grow and change, I think the idea that anyone can wear the kit even if they're only doing  R4L is simply dumbing down.  It's rather like having no prizes at school sports days, so that no-one feels left out.

As someone else has said WHY does it have to be changed to suit the lowest common denominator?

There is nothing wrong with a bit of exclusivity, IMHO.

I admired it much more, and had higher regard for pirates when I believed that they were all Ironmen and women.  I still have that regard for those who do at least attempt an IM, but I think those that dont are just jumping on the bandwagon.

• mellifera wrote (see)
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Yeah Mouse, I liked that and I agree, however there are some strong personalities amongst these threads who can appear intimidating to others that might not be quite so strong-willed as you and me.

I know that many wear the pirate kit that only do Sprints etc, but that should take nothing away from those that wear it because they chose not to wear it until they had signed up for IM. It's horses for courses......

i don't see much arguing here. FB stated his case but he's not THAT bothered. He's just giving his opinion since the question came up. I'm pretty sure he's not raging in his bed at night or keeping a little notebook of who is wearing the kit and what races they done.

if people find that upsetting then they need to toughen up a bit.

Mellifera - I was pointing no fingers at anyone.  I never took FB's comment as being personal to him, (although he later 'outed' himself image). 
  • One piece of kit for every IM you do, the more IM the less washing involved

Schimples  image
  • I *do* understand what you mean Wilkie and there's a bit of me that feels like that too. But it's the same bit that wants to say 'yeah, bandX, I liked them before they were famous' and reminds of a crap swimmer in my pool who says he used to do triathlon before it got popular. We all like to think we're a bit special!
  • "i would guess at most they are very mildly annoyed."

"FB stated his case but he's not THAT bothered"

"I'm pretty sure he's not raging in his bed at night or keeping a little notebook of who is wearing the kit and what races they done."

ha - just don't get me started.... image

I stated my case - and as most of you know (bar anon..image)WYSIWYG with me...I may be strong willed (stubborn?) but I can embrace as well - just don't ask me to use brackets when I do....

10' - I still wear the TG t-shirt at Pirate outings - last worn supporting at Woff... it's a bit tighter these days

• Schmunkee I wasn't implying *you* were pointing fingers. *I* used FB because I know he isn't going to get his knicks in twist if I use him as an example. you seemed to be asking for us all to agree and that's not going to happen - thank goodness!
  • Bugger, look what I have started!!
  • its just outlaw taper madness H  image
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

It's all your fault Aitch!

• Mellifera - I wasn't implying that you were implying that I was implying that you were implying etc etc image. And I am sorry that you think I was wanting us to all agree as that was not my intention.  I know, and appreciate, everyone has different opinions and I think this thread has shown that, but it's a subject that keeps coming up again and again and gets tiresome (altho I have to accept some blame for saying how I feel and protracting it out further image)