Options

Craving the darkness

http://www.rtvchannel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Justin-Hawkins.jpg

Calm down, not him.

Anyone else really craving those dark, wet, cold nights that are just made for running through?

I mean, I'm all for a nice sunny afternoon run or even a hazy evening run, but for some reason I just want it bitterly cold, dark and nasty out there, whirling winds thrashing the wet autumn leaves all around and great big reflective puddles to jump over.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options

Move up here to Scotland. The weather you crave so much has been like this all summer!!!!! Enjoy the good weather whilst you can.

• Options
    I too like the dark. I also like the cold.

To be fair autumn is my fav time of the year for running. I love the colours whilst running.....
  • Options
    Agree with Paul you can get 4 seasons on a summers run up here at times ! I've liked my summer running this year, but I know what you mean.
  • Options
    That time of year thou mayst in me behold
    When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
    Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
    Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
    In me thou see’st the twilight of such day
    As after sunset fadeth in the west;
    Which by and by black night doth take away,
    Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.
    In me thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
    That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
    As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
    Consumed with that which it was nourished by.
    This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong,
    To love that well which thou must leave ere long

Some fella called Bill... 1609
  • Options
    Not me. Brrr. Like getting m'legs on display. image
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

I love the sunshine but after training in the heat all summer I do look forward to autumn races... it all feels so much easier!

It's also very difficult to dress in black when it's hot and sunny - as for maintaining a pale complexion, forget it.

• Options

I hate the cold. i hate the dark. i hate being soaked. i hate being numb, i hate being frozen to the core.

Why on earth would i welcome winter it just means pain and I'm talking physical pain here.

No - I want summer to last forever. Winter is too dangerous for my life style.

• Options
    Me too. Hate autumn with the long dark nights creeping in. Then the winter of dull, damp,
    frost, snow and ice. Rather have summer. Its even getting dark at 4.30 in the morning. image
  • Options

You're crazy. Summer mornings are great. It's easier to get up when it's light you can see more when you're running, it's the best part of the day. There's no motivation to leave bed when it's pitch black and snowing outside or pouring with rain.

January in Brussels is a pain, have to move my routes around to avoid frozen roads with no grip!

• Options
    I'll vote for spring here image As long as it's not too cold to huddle in a club vest before race starts.
  • Options
    Yep, summer for me but I do like running in the rain and I really like running in the snow.
    I'm a morning person so getting up at 5 when it's cold and wet can be hard work.
  • Options

JonBoy - where in Brussels are you? I live out towards Hoeilaart but work around Evere/ Zaventem.

D2D - yesy, you are right, need to man it up a bit. Have had bare legs in the snow, but somehow I feel so much better dressed up in black running tights so I can look like a bad Kenny Everett impersonator

For me, early on a summer's day is the cream of running...

• Options

TRICKY

J'habite a woluwe-Saint Pierre. Je travaille dans la "corporate village" Zaventem.

That's the extent of my French after 18 months, poor effort!

Hoeilaart's south of the city isn't it? so you have the whole of the south forest to run around. Very Nice!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Can't we just enjoy the summer while it's here instead of wishing it away?

Yes I'm a fan of autumn but we have too many months of cold, wet and dark so let's just embrace any good weather we get.

6am in the summer is a lot of a lot easier then 6am any other time in the year.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I have to say the torrential downpour on my run last night was a refreshing change, BUT I am going to sorely miss daylight in the evenings. Since I do all my midweek running during the evenings, this means that the local park and woods are out of bounds, unless I want to climb over gates and/or be poked in the eye by unseen branches. 
  • Options
    not to mention the booooogy man image
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I LOVE the cold weather...I missed only one day due to bad weather last winter because the park was too icy to walk, let alone run and they decided to close it image

Bring on the cold (some of us just arent built for summer - hot flushes, sweaty, smelly feet, insect bites, sunburn, beetroot face etc.). I do all my pbs in the first few months of the year, including at my very favourite race - Fred Hughes 10!

• Options
    k8greene wrote (see)

Can't we just enjoy the summer while it's here instead of wishing it away?

When it gets here I'll enjoy it! image

It has pissed down here since JUNE and we've got the hosepipe ban! imageimageimage

• Options
    I like warm rain when running. I also like cold evening air with a smell of burning wood. Don't really mind the time of year.
  • Options

I'll miss my summer running come the autumn - I love early morning runs in the summer with the sun shining and I'm wearing my shorts and vest.  Although the autumn is ok - I know that winter is coming and it won't be long before I'm relegated to just pavement running and avoiding all the back roads that are too icy.

• Options
    The long dark nights are fine in the build up to Christmas, but once into January can't wait for spring to return again.
  • Options
    I like spring. You get all the excitement of longer warmer days without the realisation that summer means sweat and pollen. I do love the summer but I have found that as soon as I put on my trainers I start craving our arctic winter.
  • Options

I'm with the Autumnals.

I love light evenings but would rather do without the heat and in the South East it has been relentless. Only this week has it been a bit cooler and it has been lovely. 

Winter can be grim but, somehow, being outside and running in the cold and grey is more cheering than sitting inside looking at it through the window.

Running in snow's the best, especially since it makes non-runners think you are fecking crackers image 

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Curly - I did Fred Hughes for the first time this year! Not a bad race but a bit too hilly for my liking.

I hate running when it's really cold. Getting up and out the door is the hardest bit. But it's when you're sweat forms little ice crystals on your gloves that you realise you should have stayed in bed.

Nothing like starting and ending a run in broad daylight. And there's nothing like a good sweat to make you feel like you've worked even harder.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Undulating image

Actually the year before it was flat...I'm hoping they go back to that course next year!

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

They said they had to change the the route due to H&S (I think) so will probably be the same one next year. They also do a 10k in May which uses some of the same route if you're interested.

Sorry, hijacking of the thread over!

• Options
    The beauty of those dark mornings and evenings are that you get to wear your favourite flourescent race memento shirt! And your "Kenny Everett" tights - I have many pairs...