Goggles and contact lenses for swimming

I've decided to give this swimming malarkey a go but it's been about 7 years since I've been in a pool and I'm a pretty crap swimmer. My main worry is not being able to see as I'm very short sighted.

Can I wear my lenses in the water? Should I wear goggles too? Any particular brand/ type? I don't know if this is a phase or if it'll last so don't want to spend loads and I don't want to look too 'serious'. If I make it to 20 laps on my first session, that'll be amazing! Any words of advice and encouragement most welcome.

Comments

• Yes you can wear lenses in the pool and buy the goggles that fit you best ....  you dont need to spend a fortune
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Agree with Meldy.  I'm an infrequent swimmer but I do the lenses + goggles thing.  Do make sure the goggles fit well (if not I find my lenses get very dry) but it is very nice to be able to see where you're going!

• I do the lenses and goggles thing too and sofar without ill effects and I spent quite a bit of time in the pool last year.... BUT... my ophtamologist argues the toss with me about this at every annual check up!!!  He says it leaves my eyes vulnerable to infection.  I said to him my goggles are great and don't leak and he says "it only takes one drop"... so there we are.

He advocates prescription goggles which are available from a range of goggle supplyers.

• Just beat me to it.

I was going to suggest prescription goggles too if you get more into it. My wife bought some last year and swears by them - cost about £35 I think.

• i got some prescription goggles from tesco's last year, can't remember exactly how much but no more than a tenner, they just had them by the till...i was fed up with not being able to see the time!
  • I use to do this with no ill affect. I use to wear daily disposable lenses, so it didn't matter if they accidentally washed out of my eyes.

Have had laser eye surgery now.

• I was also wondering on this score, as I'm with 'LP84' on the matter (swim like a lead weighted brick), but are very short-sighted without my Lenses.

However, my wife & daughter keep wanting me to go into pools with them

It's almost paranoia, as when I run in a series of local fell-races (the 'Trunce'), I have to back off when entering the water (3 crossings!) just in case I slip & go fully in the water, & my lenses decide they prefer to float off down the River Don

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I swim with daily disposable contacts and goggles ... works perfectly. I usually wear specs and so take them out afterwards and throw them away. When I first tried swimming in contacts a few years ago, I didn't have goggles at the time ... I found that, although the lenses didn't float out of my eyes, I got pretty sore bloodshot eyes afterwards. This was completely solves by the goggles.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    My optician told me that dailies are the only safe ones to use, as the problem is that you can't clean regular contacts properly. I always use them with decent goggles. I did try prescription goggles, but didn't like them as much (they weren't a perfect match, plus you need to wear them when walking around the pool).
  • Ok, so I braved the pool for the first time today. Bought some youth sized speedo goggles and they worked a treat. They weren't nearly as annoying as I imagined and being able to see under water for the first time ever was AMAZING! Seeing a dirty great hair extension on the bottom of the pool wasn't quite so cool though.

Gonna keep at this swimming thing and hopefully it'll get better.
  • I am a swimmer/swimming teacher and I wear lenses under goggles , they will come out if you dont wear goggles and open your eyes under water !! the thing with perscription goggles is that when you take them off if you are like me you cant see a thing ! so if you go swimming on holiday you dont wanna sit there on your sun lounger with your goggles on he he he . I just rinse my lenses well in solution after each time in the pool and they are fine !!