Mens Health Survival Of The Fittest... trainer help

hey guys ,

I am running the Mens health survivial of the fittest in October and need some new trainers . Something light that is waterproof ish or close to that is fairly rugged ! Any suggestions !!!!!

Comments

• Hi Rachel

Firstly, forget waterproof shoes as they'll just let water in over the top and it will stay in the shoe.

Secondly, the course is off-road but doesn't look too challenging so you're not going to need anything really hard-core.  I would look at some of the trail shoes from one of the big manufacturers.  Go to a good running shop and ask for advice.

• Yeah i have looked at trial shoes but they vary alot in price and am not sure the difference  is . At points i will be submerged up to my chest in water so my feet are gonna get drenched but i will have to continue running and dont want them to rub if they are wet !
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    You could try something like a inov-8 rocklite gtx
    http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973127

Which is waterproof; however the problem with waterproof ones is that if water goes over the top or drains down your legs then you're then running in you're own water filled wellies for a while. You might be better off just getting ones that let water in really easily, but also let out really easily too. Most of the other ones by this company are pretty free draining.
  • Rachel Watkins 2 wrote (see)
     . At points i will be submerged up to my chest in water so my feet are gonna get drenched but i will have to continue running and dont want them to rub if they are wet !
    In that case you definitely DON'T want anything waterproof. Go to your local shop and try some Adidas Kanadia's. Light, decent grip, quick draining and drying and cheap. If they fit they could be ideal. They do come up very small though in my experience to don't be surprised if you need to try at least a full size larger than normal.
  • Rachel, I run in fairly lightweight shoes that let water in and out.  I can quite happily run through water and keep running on the other side because of my choice of sock.  I use Running Bear socks that are made from a wool mix so they stay comfortable when wet and don't rub.
  • What is the course ? If its muddy then you cant beat Walsh Fell running shoes. And they scrub up well.

Old trainers may be another bet so you can bin them after the race ! And waterproof would be a big no-no !

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    Adidas Kanadia's or Nike Red Rocks from Sports Direct - both around £40 are perfect for the entry level stuff...

I'm doing MH and will be in the Nikes for it - and am also using them for Race The Train and Hellrunner...
    <Edited> Oh - and +1 for the Kanadia's being small - I'm 9.5 in Nikes, but 10.5 in the Kanadias!!!

• I did the MH in Cardiff last year which involved chest hight water, and I just wore an old pair of my normal running trainers.  There wasn't a need for trail shoes.  Couldn't say about the other two locations though.
  • I did the Edinburgh last year and it did not involve running through any water just lots of hills. I would stick to running trainers as these will drain easier.
  • I am running the MH race in Nottingham and I will be running in the Kanadias. They are reasonably priced. I got them for £45 at Sweatshop and yes had to get a size bigger! They seem to be pretty good so far.