marathon shoes - recommendation

Hi

I am a lightly built (8 stone) female with a marathon pb of 3.20. I ran that in a pair of asics ds trainers (14) which am now trying to replace with little luck (in my size anyway) before next marathon in a few weeks. Has anyone run a full marathon in Asics ds racers or is that a ridiculous idea?! The asics ds trainer 15 seems to have more overlays and in a place that may cause me problems (like the 2140's do) so reluctant to try them for such a long distance. I've just bought a pair of Mizuno's for everyday training as they have a more roomy toe box so will see how they go but would also like a lighter weight shoe for races. Any recommendations for a marathon/half marathon shoe would be really appreciated.

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend having a look at Saucony Fastwitch.  They offer a similar level of support to the DS Trainer (as far as I know) but are better cushioned AND actually slightly lighter than the DS Racer.  I've started running in them recently and only raced up to 10k so far but they feel great, and I know many people are happy going up to marathon distance in them.
  • ...including me eh phil - I ran london in them no problems in april, I'd suggest those. Another alternative though are the adios by adidas, but they are small sizes - ie get the size up

I'll be running next year in matching fastwichs with phil once he does 13.1 miles in them  at a decent lick for champs start

• Thanks guys - will def have a look at those saucony fastwitch as they sound really good.. What time do you men have to do in a half to get a champs start?
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    <75 mins, which I'm hoping to bag 2 weeks tomorrow at the Bristol Half. 41 seconds to knock off a 2-yr-old pb, should be doable.  I've run a 2:44 marathon but it's out of date.  D'oh!  What marathon(s) have you got planned?
  • Robin Hood is 3 weeks today and then London 2011. Not sure if will be able to squeeze another one inbetween as need the practice! Good luck in your sub 75 target.
  • i run marathons in adidas tempo
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    filly wrote (see)

Hi

I am a lightly built (8 stone) female with a marathon pb of 3.20. I ran that in a pair of asics ds trainers (14) which am now trying to replace with little luck (in my size anyway) before next marathon in a few weeks. Has anyone run a full marathon in Asics ds racers or is that a ridiculous idea?! The asics ds trainer 15 seems to have more overlays and in a place that may cause me problems (like the 2140's do) so reluctant to try them for such a long distance. I've just bought a pair of Mizuno's for everyday training as they have a more roomy toe box so will see how they go but would also like a lighter weight shoe for races. Any recommendations for a marathon/half marathon shoe would be really appreciated.

I switched to Nike Lunaracers a couple of years ago. Very light (150g or thereabouts) and v well cushioned for a race shoe. I`m a bit of  weed (9.5 stone, 2`43 marathoner) and they suit me fine. When I first tried them on they felt rather spongey but once up and running at a fair speed they were supremely comfortable.

Obviously much depends on your feet and style but might be worth having a look.  I should say that I didn`t get on with DS racers. Caused me major calf & Achilles problems over long distances, BUT lots of people swear by them.

Other possibilities: Adidas Adizero range ?

• I like the Mizuno Wave Precision 11s. They are a little more supportive than out and out racers, but you would still need strong feet to complete and marathon in them. I use them for 10Ks

• I ran my last marathon in the fastwitch 4 and really appreciated the light weight. will be using them again for robin hood
  • You can check the best shoes for running a half marathon it will really give an edge.
  • i use Nike Air Pegasus, always have even before they were reincarnated as "zoom" Pegasus, comfy and light for me, think i should concentrate more on my running form rather than spending more on shoes! although the zoom fly 3 look good :wink:
  • For a marathon a good trainer like: Nike Zoom Pegasus/Vomero, Asics Nimbus/Kayano, Brooks Ghost/Adrenaline/Glycerin or Adidas Ultra Boost, etc. A long run/easy day shoe/marathon race day shoe and enjoy the longer runs with extra protection and more comfort over the final 6 to 10 miles. For shorter races 5km to Half marathon run in light trainers or race shoes. Bring out the track spikes for 800m or 1500m or 5,000m or 10,000m on track.