Experimental Penguin
    GarrsMateNige
    gas-man
    GOM.
    Hope
    ISB
    JWRun
    Happychap
    Happychap's mate Jules (entered voluntarily - no strongarm tactics)
    Happychap's mate Phil (is so gullible he thinks he's doing a sprint)
    Lee the Pea
    LN
    Magna Carter
    Mandel
    Meface
    Meldy
    Milesawaygirl
    Mittybob
    Never To Late
    OrangeCannon
    Orca
    Pkim   (For now...can still change my mind)
    Pop Up Pundit
    PurpleTriLady
    Ratbag
    Rio
    Rodeo Clown (well for now but might change my mind yet)
    Shuffle Bunny
    Steve Ho

Suffolk Punch
    Toucs
    UIW
    Waff
    WildWill

• Steve Ho!  You are the BEST person in the Jackass move, by miles.  Except for the comedy midget.
  • well he could kick himself in the head.  beats your supermarket trolley riding antics any day.
  • only just found out there a steve O in kick ass. kind of alway wonder why people mension kick ass when they hear my name. feeling rather embarrassed now....

• 3 more needed for the 50.....
  • image Steve are you going to do this and Outlaw? should I man up? It's not going to take much to push me over the edge. image
  • yep i'm doing this and outlaw...image come on cake your silly enough like me to do both... go on it wouldn't kill you.....image

• imageimageimageimage Right o will see what the bank balance is when enties open. Would have to go out of the relay but already know someone who would quite happerly take my place. Question is would the pirates cope? They can hardly cope with me, two hippies at once might brake Barlist. image
  • WOW

That's some list.

I'm hoping entries will still be open at the end of this month when I'm going to enter.

• No chance of using a credit card?
  • Fairly new to triathlon having only really started end of last year , done 4 sprints and 1 Olympic , lost my mojo a bit with not having any more events planned so I've got this crazy idea of signing up for regensberg IM !!! I can't imagine ever being able to complete an ironman but I thought I would set myself a massive challenge , as the crisps , cake and takeaways are slowly creeping back !! I've looked on the registration site to find out the cost of entering but I wondered wether anybody has done this event , and could you advise me on all the additional costs like flights, hotel, getting bike over there, insurances for myself and bike if needed ? Etc etc etc ? Sorry if question has already been asked but I'm also new to this website/forum business , I was introduced to here by a friend who apparently is one of you pirates (Viking)
    anyway I'd be grateful for any advice ?? Even to tell me I've no chance of completing in such short time in the sport !!!
  • of course you can do it! we've got loads of pirates who've done an IM in their first year, some even did one as their very first triathlon! A couple of peeps did it this year, it was the first time this event was held. All reports say it's a great one to do. Swiss Bobby has taken on the chore of booking hotel rooms at the Ibis hotel Regensburg, you can send him a message on his RW mail. As for travel I can't help there as I live in Germany anyway - I'm sure someone else will be along soon to advise on that. Most people drive, it's easier as you are not limited as to what you can cart along with you and travel is pretty easy on the Autobahns. Those who will be flying seem mostly to have opted to fly to Munich and either hire a car or take the train (fast and convenient) from the airport to Regensburg city. Come on, join us there, you won't regret it. Pirate support is second to none.
  • Not sure if this helps but I had only done two pool based sprint tris before I did my first IM. If you train properly and are determined enough then of course it's possible.

See you at Rengensberg 

• Also , on registration it says only the people who have paid the full entry fee will be listed , I didn't go all the way to the payment part but do you have to pay the whole amount straight off or does it give you an option to pay deposit ? Only asking as I got back off holiday last night an haven't had the bottle to check remaining bank funds after hol !!!
  • You have to pay in full
  • Hi Jack welcome,

If youve got most of the kit already, i.e. wetsuit, bike shoes etc the costs of an German Ironman are in the region of (these are based on what I paid for IM Germany this year)

£350 entry
    £250 hotel (4-5 nights)
    £200 flight (maybe a lot cheaper if you book early)
    £25 airport parking
    £140 car hire for transfer (inc fuel), you could save money here by making other arrangements, also I know a reasonable number will consider driving there instead of flying.

Other costs you need to factor in are warm up events, e.g. sportives, middle distance tri, swimming pool entry, all the gels etc youll need for training, spare tubes, bike maintenance/service.

Ironman isnt a cheep hobby but worth the costs in my opinion.
  • That all sounds great I was expecting alot more to be honest ! I've got pretty much all the gear although I very much doubt I'll be doing it on my raleigh airlite 100 !!! Hoping to have a boardman team carbon by then if not just the team (as these two have been recommended to me ??), going back to last message the hotel bit 4-5days , do you plan to do the event on the last day or do you allow for a couple of days before and after before coming home ? As I said before sorry for all questions but just getting all my plan sorted for my new regime starting early tomorrow mornin and want to know as much as poss what to expect
  • We fly on the Thursday, Register on Friday, chill and rack on Saturday, race on Sunday, drink on Monday and fly home on Tuesday.
    Schimples image
  • The events are usually on the Sunday, you have to be there for Friday for registration/race briefing, Saturday is bike racking/transition kit drop.  Monday is the all important post race booze up image

Most people go Thursday return Tuesday.
  • Viking has told me about the pirates booze up , I guess I'll have to train for that too being a non drinker myself !!
  • Being a pal of Viking's has put a bit of a black mark against your name, but we'll not hold it against you toooooo much Jack image Mwah ha ha ha ha ha. Just kidding image Glad to have you on board image
  • Hahaha , knew him at school but not to talk to , only got talking to him a few months ago as his son goes to the school I work at , I decided to do my first Olympic at Liverpool tri and raise money for the school , he started asking me about tri stuff one mornin so I felt stupid when he told me he was an ironman finisher !! Top top man though , came to cheer me on for the whole event .......,all 3 hours 16 mins !!! Sorry Viking , I'll be quicker next year !!!
  • Jack sparra wrote (see)
    Viking has told me about the pirates booze up , I guess I'll have to train for that too being a non drinker myself !!
    image Whatever he said isn't true and wasn't me image
  • One of the chaps in our bike club just posted this...think he might be speaking from experience!

IM - training or no training?

There are multiple differences between doing an IM with training and one without training. Here are some thoughts in case you ever considered trying one with less or even without training:

When you are trained and in shape, you swim steady, you ride your heart rate and watt limits, and you move as fast as you can while trying to keep you nurtured.
    When you don't do much training, you swim steady, you ride your heart rate and watt limits, and you move fast as you can while trying to keep you nurtured. The only difference is that you go really slow.

When you train, race support vehicles are there to help you with mechanicals.
    When you don't train, race support vehicles are there to encourage you to speed up if you want to make the bike cutoff.

When you train, you want to finish in time to shower and eat before the late night party at the finish line to cheer on the midnight finishers.
    When you don't train, people throw a huge party for you at the finish line.
    When you train really hard, you can finish in under 10 hours and people are like, "big deal…" as you cross the line.
    When you don't train, you finish close to midnight and people go bonkers telling you how great you did and how awesome you are. Very strange!

When you don't train, WTC gives you free glow sticks as a special gift during the race. How could you not like free glow sticks? You could put them around your neck, make loopdy-loops around your wrists, or hold them with your hands and make cool designs by swinging your arms wildly. But don't hold one in each hand with your arms extended while moving them front and back or a small plane might try to land on your head during the race.

• When you don't train, the athletes around you that are farting on the race course are shredded men and hot chicks
    When you don't train, the athletes around you that are farting on the race course are old ladies and fat dudes instead.

When you train, you worry about not getting too close to other cyclists which results in a drafting penalty.
    When you don't train, you sometimes wish you saw other cyclists to gain comfort that you are still on the official race course and not lost.

When you don't train, there's no toilet paper left in the Happy Can's. You do your best to improvise because it's rather dark in there at that hour of the evening. Fortunately glow sticks aren't like those blue light sticks they use to investigate bacteria in hotel rooms. They just help you in a jam to tie your stretchy pants back up.

When you train, the sponges that volunteers hand you are cool and refreshing squares of paradise.
    When you don't train they've been thrown on the ground and recycled enough times to provide you with something like a "poor man's micro dermabrasion." They turned into a piece of pumice stone! Not to mention some leftovers of *** inside them image

When you don't train you can stop and piss anytime you want right in the middle of the road. It's too dark for anyone to see anything.

When you don't train there are plenty of chairs available in the transition change tents. Take your pick. And the ratio of volunteers to athletes is now raised to 10:1 at that point. You can tell two guys to put your shoes on for you and one guy to unload and load your bag. And they`ll do!

When you don't train, it's really easy to find your run special needs bag. Although the volunteers can be heard saying, "Wow, we had bets that you DNF'd."
    Now go back to training a bit more serious before you try that stunt! Very tough, not very bright image
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    We fly on the Thursday, Register on Friday, chill and rack on Saturday, race on Sunday, drink on Monday and fly home on Tuesday.
    Schimples image
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    The events are usually on the Sunday, you have to be there for Friday for registration/race briefing, Saturday is bike racking/transition kit drop.  Monday is the all important post race booze up image

Most people go Thursday return Tuesday.
    Isn't Bobby booking Wednesday to Tuesday though?