The Cat in the Wheelie Bin

Poor Thing

And the Police say she's done nothing illegal ?  Surely that cant be right ? The cat was stuck in there for 15 hours. 

And anyway - I thought cats were meant to be in the brown bin ?

Comments

• We just talked about that in the office.  I was surprised the police said it wasn't a crime.  Perhaps because at that stage the cat hadn't come to any harm, whereas had it been found dead maybe it would have been a crime?

There seems to be a fine line with certain categories of crime.  The other week I woke up to 4 flat tyres.  I reported it but at that stage hadn't checked whether the air had been let out of the tyres had been slashed.  I was told by some call centre police person that if the air has been let out by someone and they can be pumped up again then it's "no harm done" and not a crime, whereas if they are slashed it's criminal damage.  As it happened they had all been darted so police eventually took a report, but some scrote can go round letting the air out of people's tyres over night and apparently that's not a crime...

• She definitely has done something illegal... I pinched this from elsewhere so can't calim research kudos but...

The cat is an animal sufficiently reduced into domestication and has a value. Also under ANIMALS PROTECTION ACT NO. 71 OF 1962
    "animals" means any equine, bovine, sheep, goat, pig, fowl, ostrich, dog, cat, or other domestic animal or bird, or any wild animal, wild animal, wild bird or reptile which is in captivity or under control of any person. and
    (1) Any person who:

(a )..., ill-treats, .... or terrifies any animal; or

(b) confines, ....any animal unnecessarily or under such conditions or in such a manner ...as to cause that animal unnecessary suffering or in any place which affords inadequate space, ventilation, light protection or shelter from heat, cold or weather; or

(c) unnecessarily starves or under-feeds or denies water or food to any animal;

So Coventry police can take their pick from that lot.... 15 hours in a wheelie bin on a hot day with no food or water and only being rescued on chance, surely constitutes animal cruely in anyone's book.

It's probably easier for the police to claim no law exists than to go and look it up !

• The Police seem to be claiming it's not a crime so they can justify giving her police protection without bad PR.
  • That is one sick woman. God knows what shes like with dogs.
  • Juliefrazz, sorry to disappoint, but the law you are quoting is South African- so not applicable.

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)

Juliefrazz, sorry to disappoint, but the law you are quoting is South African- so not applicable.

Damn, that will teach me to trust an unknown source!

But there is a UK animal welfare act, isn't there? I'm sure it was brought in / tightened up just a couple of years ago and gave greater powers to presecute for aminal cruelty.

*off to google* 

• The good thing about this is that she will probably suffer more from having her picture all over the internet.............she looks like she is an everyday middle age woman.............can you imagine the hassle she will get from workmates and friends and neighbours...............so glad that he had footage......I bet she doesn't want to face the public...............better than any fine they might impose.

glad the cats okimage

• Hope the RSPCA prosecute her  - poor little cat
  • Found it... Linky

Unfurtunately it seems to be more aimed at owners and an animal's on-going care, rather than single mindless acts of cruelty. So perhaps the police are right image

• Unnecessary suffering E+W<a id="section-4-1"></a>

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)an act of his, or a failure of his to act, causes an animal to suffer,
    (b)he knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that the act, or failure to act, would have that effect or be likely to do so,
    (c)the animal is a protected animal, and
    (d)the suffering is unnecessary.

Putting a living animal in a bin seems pretty "unnnecessary"? 

• Yes, that's what I was trying to find, Nam, I was sure I'd seen something along those line before.image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

She "ought reasonably to have known"  that the poor little thing could've been killed by having a huge load of rubbish dumped on it, never to have been heard from again.  Book her!

Bitch.

• But is a cat a protected animal?
  • Timeout wrote (see)
    But is a cat a protected animal?
    I understood that that piece of legislation applies to any domestic animal not just protected species (for which I would assume there would be a host of supplementary laws in place).
  • it cant go in the brown bin Cougie cos the collar isnt garden waste......image
  • It just seemed that point C was refering just to protected animals and that all points had to apply to break the law. 

You would hope that even if this law didnt apply, throwing a cat in a bin breaks the law somehow. 

• Would throwing her in a wheelie break the law - supposing you could even jam the fat sow in?
  • Yes..but

I can't stand cats....crxp in other peoples gardens ( my garden), kill birds and  look daft

Oh for a world with out em

• I know some people who said they have done some real horrible things to cats ie. Antifreeze, paracetamol in milk and even baiting hooks. So obviously this goes on a lot more than anybody realizes. They just aren't stupid enough to do it on camera.

Isn't it amazing that something like this gets caught on camera and the world is mortified by it. But compare it to some of the stuff that goes on in this world which doesn't get seen and it pales in significance. But nobody bats an eyelid. The power of the media eh!

Personally I'm not a cat lover, but I would never intentionally hurt an animal.

• The police have said that the 'RSPCA is leading the investigation' .  This is odd; the RSPCA is just a charity, and while they may dress up like policemen, as far as I know they have no power to interview anyone or 'lead' the police.
  • GreenIcing : It looks like its a private prosecution that the RSPCA bring RSPCA Prosecution

Archy: Did you report these 'people' that admitted to these acts? To not do so surely makes you complicit. Regardless of whether you have direct evidence or not if you believe in what you said then these 'people' need reporting.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Archy wrote (see)

But compare it to some of the stuff that goes on in this world which doesn't get seen and it pales in significance. But nobody bats an eyelid. The power of the media eh!

If stuff doesn't get seen, then of course nobody bats an eyelid.  How would they know anything had happened?

Bruce is right, if you knew about it you should have reported it.

• I don't like cats that much. Murderous little f*ckers.

But they don't deserve to be shoved in wheelie bins.

The amount of outrage shouts, "slow news week" as much as anything else.

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    Archy wrote (see)

But compare it to some of the stuff that goes on in this world which doesn't get seen and it pales in significance. But nobody bats an eyelid. The power of the media eh!

If stuff doesn't get seen, then of course nobody bats an eyelid.  How would they know anything had happened?

I wonder if he meant other big things which are reported in the media and which people don't pay attention to?

There is a woman in my office who heard about the cat in the bin, but for all these weeks hadn't twigged that thousands of people are dying in Pakistan due to the floods... and when she heard about it was pretty non-fussed...

• Bruce - www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

GreenIcing : It looks like its a private prosecution that the RSPCA bring RSPCA Prosecution

Archy: Did you report these 'people' that admitted to these acts? To not do so surely makes you complicit. Regardless of whether you have direct evidence or not if you believe in what you said then these 'people' need reporting.

. I'm not sure they were telling the truth because there are people out there who tell fibs just to make themselves interesting. I wasn't convinced they did it, but not totally sure they didn't.

There are many disturbing stories that get mentioned on the news eg. 150 women and baby's were raped in DR Congo. Yet I expect the main topic of conversation yesterday was a cat that was put in the bin.

Just find it strange that's all.