Kalenji equipment

Hi all, newbie here.

I started running not long ago with a BRAT runner, but found my nails going black due to bad shoes. I have now bought some 'Kalenji' running shoes from Decathlon, their own brand I believe.

Just wondering who else may have used this equipment, personally I find them VERY comfortable, and they suit me as the type i have helps with mild pronation. ANyone know how they are overall, after running for a few weeks with them?

Comments

• Sorry can't help I use the shorts and tops, and find them as good as my ron hills and asics,, but have never been brave enough to try the shoes, I know my DS Trainers are right for me so haven't wanted to change them.
  • I have some kalenji brand gear and it's fine, never tried the trainers, sorry.
  • same here - have the kit but not tried the running shoes

I think you just need to see how they go over a long time markos as if you think they're fine stick with them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they aren't a big brand name rebranded and remodelled for Decathlon, or using old lasts from another brand.....

• Same here, tried the kit, which is very good. Haven't been brave enough to try their trainers!!
  • I have the socks and the sports bras - both excellent.  The shorts are crap - they ride up my legs, and don't breathe so I sweat like a pig - I'd quite happily pay 3 times as much for Nike.
  • My other-half-to-be has some Kalenji running shoes that she got in France. They seem quite good for the money. She is by no means a big runner but for the walk/run type of stuff that she does they do the job well. She has more of an off-road type as most of our runs are up in the woods.

Paul

• Shorts, leggings and vests are fab. I've done several marathons and ultras in them without any probs.

Never been brave enough to run in their trainers though
  • Hi

I would not be brave enough either.  My friend got shin splints after wearing them for a couple of months! She then got fitted with "proper" running shoes, and took the Decathlon ones in to show the shop manager  and he was horrified at the state of them.  I woudnt care, she paid about £50 for them, and for that you can get a pair of last seasons Asics or Nike's!  You may be more lucky, but I would not be too keen personally.

x

• I brought a pair of there Inspid ones.

I was just starting out and did not want to spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes until I sorted out my running style. There where great to start with but did not last very long.

I had not noticed that they had lost a lot of there bounce until I tried on a pair of Saucony ProGrid Triumph 5. I was surprised as I am not a heavy weight either and I only had them for 5 month and put around 300Km on them.

• Ditto

I use their gear and think it's excellent, just as good as any other brand i've tried.........However, there's no way i'd risk a 20 miler in a pair of own brand runners.

• Nor would I, plus, if you go on the net and look for bargains, branded shoes, especially last seasons colours can be found dirt cheap, so I really don't see the point?
  • Hi,

I picked up a pair of £35 Kalenji trainers today from Decathalon.  They felt more comfortable and lighter than any equivelant branded trainers of a similar price.  Bearing in mind that i have only bought some running shoes to go on occasionaly short runs (i.e. sub 10 miles) once or twice a week will they be suitable?

A mate of mine who is a runner works at Decathalon and recommended them to me. I appreciate that most people here are "pro" runners where as I am just looking to keep fit through using them for running and maybe badminotn/squash.  I don't want shin splints or robotic legs though!

The equivalent priced Nikes look pretty basic - should i exchange them?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

• Andy

Hate to say this but 2 runs per week of up to 10 miles is actually quite a lot!  Enough to do yourself damage if the shoes are no good for you anyway.

I think the advice you will always get on here is go to a proper running shop and get some shoes fitted.  They're the one thing you can't scrimp on.

Also, running shoes aren't really suitable for other sports like badminton and squash - they will wear in different places and you need more lateral support for those types of sports.

• OK, thanks Beanie1.  It sounds like if I stick to what i aspire to then I would be best getting some proper running shoes fitted and ditching them for squash/badminton, using proper trainers for those sports instead.

While I'm still testing the water however should I stick to the Kalenjis or swap them?  I assume getting shoes fitted would cost substantially more than £35 and I've not decided if I'm going to keep this up long term.  Am looking at the following three pairs:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ekiden-200-82393307/

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/dart-vi-82393245/

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/gel-blackhawk-82393367/

Many thanks.

• My God .. its why dont bother coming on here very much .. there are so many pretentious 'brand' victims.

So lets throw the cat in amongst the pigeons shall we? .. 

I run 30-40 miles a week. I have a pair of Kalenji shoes.. best decision I made.

Period

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Actually, they are not brand victims. A number of posters have complimented Kalenji for their kit (tops, bras, leggings etc) but have expressed reservations about their shoes. That seems a perfectly rational approach to take.

If Kalenji shoes suit you - brilliant. I`m not sure what qualifies you to comment on other peoplesshie preferences and requirements.

For me, I tend to agree with the other posters. Whenever I go to Decathlon I pick up Kalenji running vests - they`re usually very good and last well. That has not been my experience of their shoes which seem to last about half as long as my Nike shoes (though it`s hard to put a precise figure on it).Incidentally, I run double your mileage and sometimes more.

I`ve also noticed that our kids wear out Decathlon trainers at amuch faster rate than Nike, Adidas etc.

If you have found shoes that suit you - stick to them - just avoid the prescriptive b*ll sh*t. image

• Being a brand victim is b*ll sh*t - just because its not in the £70 bracket. Absolute pathetic snobbery.  If people had any integrity outside their wallet and cared less about marketing manipulated peer pressure they'd realise it  too. 

Regress your running gait back to how you ran as a child "naturally" and dont 'pound' and you'll find injuries occur less and less and relate much less to the name you have on your footwear.  But I dont expect the pony tail and butt hugging posers to be curious about this .. just those interested in their LONG term health and fitness.

..and thats all I'll say on this.  Do what you want.  I'm gone.

• errm - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Decathlon/Kalenji/Quechua/Tribord and all the other names that Decathlon own also "brand" names???

you like Kalenji, others like Asics/Nike/whatever. and Decathlon are very very good at brand promotion and recognition which is why they are such a large successful business

so stop being an arse and bleating about brand names and accept if whatever you buy is for for your purpose, then let it be.
  • Ooh a 2 post flounce,  havent had one of those for a while  image
  • I like the fact that it took nearly a year to get upset at the thread.image
  • Hi Guys,

I bought a pair of 'Comfort Primes' Yesterday and have had my first few outings in them. So far, they are amazing. I paid 69.99, Pounds,  and So far they feel like there worth every penny.

There was another bloke in there who was looking for new shoes to, I bumped into him in town and he bought the same ones as I did. He just kept on coming back to them, over the likes of Asics, Addidas and Nike.

I was first impressed by the comfort of the shoe and then the performance. Its as thought they have a little spring in them! The build quality is exceptional. The top of the shoe really holds its own and I'm also finding they clean up nice. 

I have no quarms with them yet, although I'm still running them in, it's quite a pleasure doing so all the same. 

Highly recommended all round.

They don't seem to be out on the UK Decathlon website yet, but you can find pictures etc on the french and dutch ones.

http://www.kalenji-running.com/FR/ekiden-confort-prime-159873569/

A must look for anyone looking for new pair of trainers.

I've heard messages about 'own brand' and low quality. All I'd say to that is that Decathlon is not Tesco, or Aldi. It's a high quality sports retailer and designer that sells it's own stuff along side market names. They simply miss the middle man out. If they didn't have their own stores I am sure they would sell as a brand name alongside New Balance, Mizuno and Nike. Further more this is where they make there money and also maintain their reputation, which is really good. 

Happy New Year

Rich 

• well i was in there today and was looking at a £30 h.r.m. watch. what also tells the time. anyone got one any good. ?
  • RB

Aldi sports kit is Crane one of the largest sports retailers in Northern Europe I use Aldi gear and have found no problems with the kit they supply antd its a good as anything I have from Decathlon (Bike gear)

Me thinks it would appear that a couple of people with an interest in Decathlon have used this site to push their gear.

As for Moogle  TOTAL PILLOCK 

• Hi everyone,

Im the running department manager in the new Decathlon in Bolton so its been really interesting reading everyones comments about kalenji.

Its worth me pointing out that Kalenji isn't a traditional 'own brand' that people refer to when talking about products like tesco's finest cakes and such.  Kalenji are product designers and testers part of a bigger group called Oxylane.  Decathlon are the only stores that sell their products as we are also part of this same group. 

As for the shoes I cant personally relate to their comfort level (I run in fivefingers) however kalenji's aim is to provide a running shoe at all levels, beginner to expert at an affordable price.  This sounds like im part of the marketing team, however I wouldn't bother posting here if I wasn't 100% sincere.

The one thing me and my team have noticed is that aesthetically, kalenji road running shoes have always looked abit on the chunky side and never quite as attractive as some asics or adidas, however I have been told recently that they are spending alot more time and effort on the shoe side of running now opposed to mainly the clothing so there should be some interesting new products out this year.

If anyone has any questions about the products I can try and answer them, I own quite a few bits of the clothing and tried plenty of the energy bars/gels.

Ste

• I have a hat, headband and gloves set. They are comfy and light, though the gloves aren't sufficient for me once it gets down around freezing (poor circulation).
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of clothing but havent tried the shoes. My boyfriend has though and they just weren't right for him (Not enough support and wore down very quickly for their use). I guess it's how your body reacts/works
  • Stephen.... totally off topic, but any chance of speaking to head office and suggesting a discount code for Runners World subscribers/readers? Can imagine it'd bring a lot of business your way.... image

( No harm in asking... image )
  • Hi Sonic,

No harm in asking!  image  Unfortunately we tend not to give discount to specific clubs/groups mainly because we try our best to be the cheapest retailer of sports equipment in the local area and can therefore not usually afford to discount further.

You may find products cheaper online or in some other retailers, however we believe that the prices and technicality of the range we offer are both good for the customer.

Other than that, we do also have a loyalty card system that is free and rewards you with money off vouchers.

Ste

• Thanks for the reply Stephen.

I have got your card but haven't heard anything and definitely had no vouchers through! Shame really as I recently spent £70 on a pair of trainers in your Lakeside store and need to buy a £100 bike sometime soon. Ah well - lets hope some come through soon... image
  • I have a pair of kalenji eliofeet utter class for running in best running shoes I have had I have a pair of vibram five fingers like a super special running show and there collecting dust