RW Marathon FLM Beginners - Kerry

Runner’s World has plucked three lucky souls from the forums to take on a massive challenge - to get from virtually nothing to 26.2 miles in time for the 2004 Flora London Marathon.

Please give a warm welcome to Kerry, and her very own forum thread. She will be updating us on her progress and is keen for any advice or encouragement you can give her.

You can read Kerry's article here.

Comments

• Hi Kerry,

i've nominated myself as the ambassador for the plodders who rampage daily across beginners and sometimes launch raiding parties elsewhere.

Whilst we all love the RW training programmes and swear by them, we have been known to make alterations to improve them so here is this weeks one:

Plod training programme
    Day one - carbo load with chocolate
    Day two - carbo load with chips
    Day three - carbo load with beer
    day four - rest
    day five - think about plod, but look at bright sunshine and decide it's going to rain
    day six - hungover
    day seven - rest

Repeat as necessary

If you can fight your way through our inane ramblings in the plod thread, there is periodically some very useful advice.

Good luck

(oh and if someone shouts Bogies, it's probably gingerloon)

<don't moderate me - i did put useful advice in there, like go to plodders>
  • Hi Puff

WOW - I like the sound of this diet better than the one Keith (our trainer from TrailPlus) has put me on... and considering I'm not allowed to run yet, I could probably just repeat Day 3 on Day 5... what do you reckon??

Here's a bit of Keith's e-mail to give you a diet comparison...

"You eat SMALL meals/snacks more regularly but you only eat good stuff - fruit, vegetables, salads and soups. You may eat controlled portions of quality protein (fish is good) with no fat on it. You can eat controlled portions of pasta, rice, potatoes and non sugar cereal like porridge or muesli. Semi skim milk and natural yogurt or fromage frais. No fat of any
    description, no cheese, no cakes, no biscuits, sweets, crisps, fast food, sauces, and absolutley (like it or not) no alchohol - it is wasted calories
    you cannot afford. I want you to drink lots of water - 3 litres a day.
  • Gulp.

Are you allowed oxygen Hippo? That seems harsh...

Still, if it helps to get you through the marathon....

(Het convinces herself she never wants to run anything longer than a 5K and reaches for the wine....)
  • Personally, I'd pop along to Weightwatchers Kerry.

alcohol yes
    chocolate yes
    cheeses yes

as many veggies as you can eat and everything else you just count and go.

But suppose I'm not allowed to say that as you've got a proper nutritionist on board
    agree with the water and the controlled and small portions though.

Think I'd better stay off here - i'll get you into lots of trouble

• I lost quite a lot of weight with weight watchers and really like the diet... but I was starting to slip into some bad habits when Keith came along and cracked the whip... I don't mind his diet really - I've kind of got used to it and know that I need to lose some serious amounts of weight if I have any chance of running this marathon. I've already planned a big party for after the marathon with alcohol and food galore... :)
  • Kerry, I'm Kerry!

Congratulations on being one of the three!

I lost 5 stone with WW in 2001 and swam to help lose it and get fit. At the end I swam a 5k swimathon. With that as a goal it was easier to stick too. You'll do great just get down to it now as every week will be a pound or a couple and each one of those pounds counts when you are running.

I picked up running after losing my weight and its such fun and so addictive. Good luck. I look forward to hearing your progress. If times get hard just think how good you are going to look and feel about yourself when you meet your challenge.

• "no fat of any description" sounds abit extreme

some fat is neccessary in a diet - very low fat diets are not healthylong term - but obviously thats not loads of butter, lard, fried foods crisps chocolate, cream, cakes etc

there is some fat in dairy produce - and vegetable oils in small portions and nuts, seeds and oily fish are all beneficial in moderation
  • Kerry, you poor thing, coming from Hatfield. That's where I'm from. Have escaped to Lincolnshire now though. Did you go to school in Hatfield, as you are between me and my brother's ages (me 35, brother 30).

Good luck with training for the FLM and everything you are putting yourself through. I weighed 19 stone back in 1997, but have since done 4 FLM's after 29 years as a couch potato. I'm doing it in 2004 too, after a year off. Will look out for your postings on the forum.
  • Hats off to you, Kerry. If you can hack the diet, the running will be a doddle.

I adapted to a painful diet once - no wheat, no dairy, about two years ago. It meant I could run. Although I fantasize about pecan danishes, I can run, so - we leave the bakery stuff and run.

Have since started eating dairy again, not sure it was wise, and it will be harder next time I think to give it up if I have to.

Still, running is worth it. Even if you have to take it on faith for a while. Take it on faith.

Go ask Snail, or Llama man, or read the nosy thread on training.

<<bows low>>
  • Hi Kerry!

Again congrats on being chosen. Very exciting! I'm really rooting for you. I've lost 4 stone over the last 2 years (painfully slowly, blah!) and I'm building up my running with a view to running my first half marathon in June. Sounds jolly far enough to me... scarey stuff!

I will be watching your progress and willing you on, figuratively at least we're plodding the same road. Lets giggle as we go.

Best wishes!

(~:
  • Hello Kerry, I've just read the article about you three and thought I'd pop in to say an encouraging hello and wish you luck.
    I'm sure they've already told you; consistency and not overdoing it are the key. Consitency, not overdoing it and making sure you do the long runs. Oops, starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch.
    Enjoy yourself.
  • Ooooh Tim, just the chap for lessons in not overdoing it!

Hope your resting peaceful like now.

(To save you chasing round what Tim's done, just a 24 hour race one weekend followed by a marathon the next, and another the following. And perhaps I've missed a few.)
  • Its ok Stickless, I haven't run a step since last Sunday.
    You've summed up October quite well really.

Hopefully I'll be in the FLM myself Kerry, just waiting to see if my cheque's cashed before I try for a club place.
  • Hello Kerry, just to wish you luck with the training

• Hi Kerry!

Just really copying what everyone else is saying and that is to wish you lots of luck with achieving your goals. Whenever you're feeling low or demotivated just pop on to the forum and there will always be someone to get you up and out the door again.

Looking forward to watching you do this in style...

Flipper
    x
  • Hi Kerry...well done girl!!!! what a great achievement even just to have the guts to go for it..there are many who would just sit and dream..
    I have lost 5 stone too and am now a true running anorak...only started running last christmas and am just about to do my 7th half marathon and have my fingers crossed for london so may well be plodding besides you. I'm so determined to do a marathon that i've signed up for stratford even if i don't get in to do london...so i'll be training too and routing for you all the way..this is really sad but i just love this saying..'The body says stop but the spirit cries never' when you start to struggle think of that...it helps
  • Hi Kerry

Like Fat Squirrel, I'm also from Hatfield but unlike him I'm still here!

Good luck with the dieting and training, I'm also trying the same and have got a place in the FLM.

So if you're running takes you around the Birchwood area and see a fat bloke puffing and plodding around give me a wave!

Steve
  • Hi Kerry,
    Just popped in to say good luck, after reading the article on the home page!

Believe me, its a hard long road, but one that will feel you with satisfaction,and the sense of achievement, when you get to the end of it!

It will also increase your health tenfold, and will benefit you greatly! And the one worrying thing is that it will become mightily addictive, and you will want to do another...after all i had planned just to do the 1..(15 later.....)
  • Hats off to you Kerry! I just wanted to wish you well in your weight loss & training for the FLM.
  • Hi Kerry,
    When I read the article I thought how frustrating that they won't let you run until you've lost more weight even though you'd alrady done so well. However, it is worth it: I wasn't so wise and am currently paying the price. Having jogged three times a week for a year round our local reservoir (about 4.5km)and got down to 12st10lbs, I decided to do the Sheffield half marathon last year. Although I was cautious about increasing my mileage within a month I had really bad plantar fascitis, ended up having to stop running,see a podiatrist, get orthotics (I was blissfully unaware that I have very unstable over-pronating feet)and am now back to 14st 2. When the pain has gone (its a lot better now), I will be allowed to try running again, but meantime I have got a dog and am walking an hour a day instead. So the caution is worth it! You will be an inspiration to me for next year!Go girl!
  • Hiya Kerry

Last year I ran the FLM. Well, I say ran, I jogged and plodded. It took me 6 hours, but I did it. I only started training in December, and I was 5 stone overweight. It was one of the best days of my life. I'd like to tell you that I'm now a size 8, but unfortunately no. I'm still very much overweight, but am very fit, and feel great. I've just started training again for next year. Good luck, and I'll follow your progress with interest.
  • Good luck Kerry. The feeling of achievement you will have during and after the event will be worth all the ups and downs, the trials and tribulations that you will experience during the challenge you have taken on. We'll be keeping an eye on you!
  • Kerry
    FLM in 2002 was my first marathon. I crossed the line in tears. It was one of the best days of my life and a truly wonderful experiance.

Don't set a time just enjoy the day FLM is the best marathon and a truly great experiance.

Look out for the FORUMITES at mile 18 who will be there to cheer you on.

Also get yourself some URWFRC kit and join in at some of your local races where other forumites will be there to cheer you on and give you support.

See you there next year.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Hello Kerry

can't add much except to say - YOU GO, GIRL!

and if it ever seems to get too much, or things don't go to plan, or you bust your eating plan, then just go to bed at night, and wake up to start again on a brand new day.

:o)
  • good luck guys... and remember to enjoy it all!

also beware of people just pasting identical posts on all your threads! it;s the personal touch that really counts!
  • good luck all of you - my first marathon was FLM in 2003 - enjoy the experience, the training and camaraderie of the day (and of course the forum). me - I'm sweating on a place for 2004 - and still running for the sheer hell of it.