Sweat vests

Does anyone have any advice on sweat vests?

Obviously the manufacturers say they are going to help weight loss but does anyone have first hand experience of them they would like to share? I have worn one once and I did sweat more but I don't want it affect how far and fast I can run.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sorry Georgie - I think the only way to lose weight is by less calories in and more calories out.  If you weigh yourself before a run, then weigh yourself directly after a run you will see you may have lost several lbs whether you are wearing a "sweat vest" or not.  This is simply due to water loss, ie: sweating. 
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Avoid.

You will lose weight, if that's what you want to do, by burning more energy and consuming fewer calories. You will only lose fluid by excessive sweating, and any short-term weight loss will be gone as soon as you rehydrate.

Ye gods, I sweat enough when I'm running already.

• Pile of pants. You could get the same 'benefit' by running in a black bin bag.

• Thanks guys.

Is there no truth in what they say about you actually burning more calories in the production of sweat and not just the loss of weight because the sweat leaves your body?

• There may be a teeny teeny bit more - but you'd get the same benefit by running on a warm day - bet you havent noticed the pounds dropping off you after that ? Just eat less.
  • no

sure, you sweat when you burn calories through exercise - but in fact you sweat when you don't exercise but it's at such a low level you'd hardly know it. but you will also sweat when you apply external heat without exercise - it's purely a method of cooling the body through evaporation of moisture
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Georgie Bingham wrote (see)

Is there no truth in what they say about you actually burning more calories in the production of sweat and not just the loss of weight because the sweat leaves your body?

Are you referring to Sweatz Scientific Research supposedly done by the University of Salford?

Subjects completed a 30 minute run at a constant pace (6mph), at the same time of day, on two separate sessions, 3-4 days apart apart. Participants wore the same clothing for each test, with the only difference being the inclusion of the ‘Sweatz Vest’ which was randomly assigned to either testing session. The ambient temperature (18+0.5oC) of the laboratory was consistent throughout each trial.

...Results
    The ‘Sweatz Vests’ showed a significantly greater energy expenditure, during 30 minutes of running, compared to the control condition.

...Conclusion
    Wearing a Sweatz Vest during regular aerobic exercise can maximise energy expenditure during training for weight loss, as it results in an average increase in energy expenditure of ~30%.

I don't see how this test demonstrates their claim that sweating in itself produces more calorie burn.  Participants performed the runs at a constant pace, so presumably burned more calories simply because what they were asked to do was harder... due to the fact that they were wearing an extra garment which made them heat up more quickly (and increased their weight)!  I'm guessing the same effect could have been achieved by one group having the treadmill set at a higher gradient, having to wear a rucksack, or just running at a faster pace.  So in order to burn more calories - just run faster. 

If I've missed something I'd love to know what it is.  Don't get me started on all the 'detox' claims and talk of heavy metals...

• that's about the crappiest bit of research I have read for some time - it proves nothing other than what PB says..

"Sweatz Vests are the healthy alternative as they are made from safe, toxin-free, 100% bio-degradable polythene. This gives them a silky smooth feel that is so comfortable you will not even know you’re wearing one."

silky smooth feel?? about as silky smooth as my nutsack I reckon....

• @fat buddha - if you've been wearing the same Nike Pro undershorts that I've got you may well have a silky-smooth nutsack. Want to see?
  • errm - I'll pass....

I assume they chafe a bit then...
  • Hi everyone, my name is Chris Hamilton the owner of Sweatz Sportz Ltd and inventor of the Sweatz Vest. After reading all your comments I just thought I'd put a few of the wrong misconceptions to bed.

1 - The Sweatz Vest has been tested at Salford University and the University of Mississippi against other weight loss products and is probably the worlds only genuine weight loss product.

2 - Its got nothing to do with water loss, it works by thermo - regulation which in its simplist term means that wearing the Sweatz Vest increases body temp so the body has to work harder to maintain a healthy core temp and this action causes the body to burn off far more calories. We advise all customers to drink far more water than they normally would to maintain constant rehydration.

3 - When tested it proved to burn upward of an extra 30% more calories when used and if worn 3-4 times per week can burn off easily an extra 2 stone per year! Compared with other weight loss tablets. drugs etc they only amount to an increase of about 1-4% at the most.

4 - People just don't listen no matter how many times we say it, a binliner is made from chemical waste and is full of toxins like lead, cadmium, mercury all of which can cause cancer. They are also no where near the right technical spec to create an increase in body temp to make you burn enough calories.

5 - Its also so much better than a sauna suit as they are clumbersome to wear, they are too expensive as they rip after a few wears. They smell and they also get you too hot so you cannot get a full workout done so you end up burning less calories. Where as the Sweatz  Vest is perfectly made to burn calories!  

6 - I was ranked 8th in GB for the 100m and ran 10.45, then became a personal trainer so I also come at this from a Scientific view point which is why I can say in all honesty with all my vast experience that this is the only none gimmick weight loss product you can buy!!!     

We have also just launched our very own top Sports Nutrition engineered to get you to your best!!!  

• Ha ha, love the commendation from Michelle Heaton described as the star of 'Celebrity Big Brother' you do realise she is famous for being a member of Liberty X but this isnt mentioned.
  • ahem

"4 - People just don't listen no matter how many times we say it, a binliner is made from chemical waste and is full of toxins like lead, cadmium, mercury all of which can cause cancer."

proof please. and to cause cancers from said chemicals, you would need to a) ingest said chemicals and b) ingest them over a long period. which you are very unlikley to do with a binliner.

"6 - I was ranked 8th in GB for the 100m and ran 10.45, then became a personal trainer so I also come at this from a Scientific view point"

so - being a fast sprinter qualifies you from a scientific perspective?? well I would think that according to point 4 it doesn't as you don't know what you're talking about. any scientific qualifications you can provide??

sorry mate, you're selling a sham product with no proof of efficacy and with little scientific basis

and btw - "the worlds only genuine weight loss product"

how about amoebic dysentry? I reckon I could patent a better weight loss product from that. there's only one proven weight loss product - gastric banding.
  • oh - look

Dragon's Den did them proud - not

£10 for ten of them?? hahahaha
  • That Chris Hamilton chap was on Dragon's Den.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/entrepreneurs/keithhamilton.shtml

He and his mate were ripped apart by Bannatyne, and rightly so.
  • Sweatz Sportz wrote (see)

6 - I was ranked 8th in GB for the 100m and ran 10.45, then became a personal trainer so I also come at this from a Scientific view point which is why I can say in all honesty with all my vast experience that this is the only none gimmick weight loss product you can buy!!!     

Just wondering how true this is as its a great time but I cant find any mention of it on the Power of Ten website
  • GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

The misuse of the word toxin does my head in.  Toxins are produced by cells or living creatures, bee sting, snake venom, heavy metals if ingested may be toxic.

Where is the evdience that recycled polyethylene is full of heavy metals? I'd wager a few ppm, certainly less than 0.1% at most.

If a misconception is a misunderstanding, is the wrong misconception Mr Thompson refers to a correct understanding?

• Sweatz Sportz wrote (see)

1 - The Sweatz Vest has been tested at Salford University and the University of Mississippi against other weight loss products and is probably the worlds only genuine weight loss product.

My vote for The worlds only genuine weight loss product, goes to this,

http://www.lunchtruckparts.com/images/1/497478_fruit_and_veg_stall.jpg

Eat nothing but whats in this picture and it's almost impossible to put weight on.
  • @lardarse - that's not even close to true.
  • If I ate the scale I would put on weight!  Loads of sugar there too!
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @lardarse - that's not even close to true.
    Oh well, back to the lard sandwiches then   
    http://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/kookoo.gif

When ever I eat nothing but vegetables and fruit I always lose weight, maybe you've got four stomachs?

• When ever I eat nothing but vegetables and fruit I always lose weight, maybe you've got four stomachs?

that doesnt mean its the only way to lose weight though. I can think of much better ways

i like sweat vests but i dont like the way they are marketed. or the fact you buy 20 for £20! I wear a windproof jacket which makes me sweat like crazy and its a great for running in hotter temperatures
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

"Oh well, back to the lard sandwiches then"

When I was a kid I used to luuuurve dripping on toast ... which is pretty much the same thing.  The jelly bits were my faves .... mmmmmm ....

If I fed that to Muttley Jnr I'd be arrested for child abuse.

• Treadmill Hater wrote (see)
    When ever I eat nothing but vegetables and fruit I always lose weight, maybe you've got four stomachs? that doesnt mean its the only way to lose weight though. I can think of much better ways i like sweat vests but i dont like the way they are marketed. or the fact you buy 20 for £20! I wear a windproof jacket which makes me sweat like crazy and its a great for running in hotter temperatures

You "think" (lose term) there are better ways to lose weight than eating healthily?

what ever.

• think  (th
    http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif

ngk)v. thought (thôt), think·ing, thinks v.tr.1. To have or formulate in the mind.2. a. To reason about or reflect on; ponder: Think how complex language is. Think the matter through.b. To decide by reasoning, reflection, or pondering: thinking what to do.3. To judge or regard; look upon: I think it only fair.4. To believe; suppose: always thought he was right.5. a. To expect; hope: They thought she'd arrive early.b. To intend: They thought they'd take their time.6. To call to mind; remember: I can't think what her name was.7. To visualize; imagine: Think what a scene it will be at the reunion.8. To devise or evolve; invent: thought up a plan to get rich quick.9. To bring into a given condition by mental preoccupation: He thought himself into a panic over the impending examination.10. To concentrate one's thoughts on: "Think languor" (Diana Vreeland).v.intr.1. To exercise the power of reason, as by conceiving ideas, drawing inferences, and using judgment.2. To weigh or consider an idea: They are thinking about moving.3. a. To bring a thought to mind by imagination or invention: No one before had thought of bifocal glasses.b. To recall a thought or an image to mind: She thought of her childhood when she saw the movie.4. To believe; suppose: He thinks of himself as a wit. It's later than you think.5. To have care or consideration: Think first of the ones you love.6. To dispose the mind in a given way: Do you think so?     
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Since when was it healthy to only eat fruit and vegetables?

I'm out.

• Effective for a range of sporting activities, and costing less than £20 for a pack of twenty, the vest is thrown away after use and as it is manufactured from safe, toxin-free, 100% bio-degradable polythene, it will cause no harm to the environment, making it a win-win item for everyone.

http://www.sweatzsportz.com/news.asp
    100% bio-degradable polythene Bin Liners

Pack of 50 is only £25 bargain  image

Before anyone starts rattling on about Toxins you need to remember that hard polyethylene beads are heated to a temperature of 200 degrees centigrade during the manufacturing process and impurities filtered off. The molten polyethylene is put under high pressure and mixed with agents that provide colour and make the plastic pliable. The prepared plastic polyethylene is blown into one long tube of bagging, which is then cooled, collapsed, cut to the right individual length, and sealed on one end to make a garbage bag.

Now unless you can prove that your vest has a different manufacturing process to other polythene products then any toxins one contain the other would contain. You would also need to prove that your product was manufactured in a establishment which does not do any job which may contaminate your product.
    It's pretty much unlikely.

Dragons Den got it spot on imho