Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• do you have interchangeable legs?? (and if so, can I borrow a really quick pair for Amsterdamn - no typo!)

• Adrian, I am with you, 2 marathons a year seems to be more than enough - the prescribed training of between 12 - 16 weeks is a significant commitment imho, although WR doing 2 in the same month prob meant his residual fitness from the 1st allowed this, though I doubt that normal mortals could do this consistently. My advice is to ignore the Amsterdam thtead if they are all a bitserious!! Concentrate on your own goals and I am certain you will have a fantastic day, over there you must be assured of a flat route at the very least image

Have just done my last LSR, 11 miles in 91 minutes, a tiring run as I went a bit quicker than normal and it was warm for once, looking forward to Adam and Dan coming up in the next couple of days as we gear up for Sep 5.

Hope everyones having a great day, WR I know you are working image but get that day in-lieu back!!!
  • Hi Philby stuck in work at the minute, and it's a glorious day outside!! Good going on your last Lsr, I found it easy enough to do 2 marathons close together as I used the first as a Lsr for the second. Did go 4 mins faster on the first but didn't factor in the heat for Edinburgh!! Looking forward to Palma as it looks like a cracking course!!

Good luck for Moray!!image

• hi guys, well you all seem to have been banging out the miles in my absence!

same old for me, been getting back to form with some good sessions, right achillies is pretty much 100% now, 10*800m track session last thurs was going stormingly well with average time of 2.30min per 800m, on my final lap i thought 'damn its good to be back! went to toe of at the start and BANG! left Achillies locked up! unbelievable! limped home thourghly dejected & miserable and having serious thoughts about whether this is all really worth it image good news though is that this one hasnt gone anywhere near as bad as my right one, plus ive learned from lastime so iced up and started treatment straight away! still sore but bearable. decided im not racing anymore this year. still going to take part in the races ive got pencilled in for the rest of the year, but just going to take it easy & forget about times. last race is Great South in Oct, after that im calling it a day for the rest of the year.

Ade, i know what you mean about other threads getting uber serious, i once tried to get invloved on the Sub 3hrs thread! man thats a scary place! far to intense for me!

Phil, getting more and more impressed mate, your training seems to be seriously paying off, looking foward to seeing the results!

Notts half a week on sunday, going to hev to shift the talk to post race beers soon! image

hope everyone else is ok? really looking foward to catching up with most of you at Notts.

• DT2, so sorry to hear about your injury woes, I think if I was in your shoes (trainers!) I would consider giving the Great South a miss as well, it seems to me your body just needs an extended rest, I know that I am carrying a slight knee niggle at the minute and in all honesty I really could have done with a rest after Sep 5, but like a dumb scmuck I signed up for the Cardiff Half in Oct, though to be completely honest I really do need to do that race as I have never run anything less that a full marathon and I am probably not developing my running abilities in other areas, added to that it's in Wales and I am a little ashamed that I have never competed in my home country - yes Fiona i know you are reading this!! image

Anyways Darren, whatever you r decision I wish you all the best in your recovery.

PS, I am really hoping to crack 4 hrs next Sun, the only thing that concerns me is if it is a hot day, I really do slow up significantly when temps get above 17-18 deg c!!!
  • You should be able to get some hot weather training in this week Phil, sub 4 is looking on the cards!!

Darren rotten luck with the achilles, I also think you should hang up the shoes and rest for a good while, but I also know I wouldn't do that either!!

Ps. Phil if you've never raced less than 26.2 surely the next step is up to ultras!!
  • Hi guys.

Hope you all had a good weekend? - sorry to hear you were stuck in work for chunks of it WR - the downside to shift work hey?  Not long before you are attempting to get the talk back to ultras.  Tee hee. image

Phil - I am shocked and surprised that it took so much gentle pursuading for you to enter Cardiff.  All the points mentioned above plus the fact that you have family in Cardiff so free B&B and the perfect excuse to get back to see Toby - so not even Mrs Philby would complain.  image - then next year you can sign up for an ultra with WR. image

Talking about serious threads - the Notts full thread seems much more serious than this one ever was before Edinburgh.  They talk about running and training and nutrition and tapers ALL of the time!! - kebabs, beer, injuries, wheels coming off - are just never mentioned. imageimage

Darren - you take it easy.  Have a good Autumn/Winter just ticking along.  Do you do stretching in between your running sessions?  I know I can really neglect the stretches and think about doing them only when running is involved which is not great.  Should set aside some time every day really.

Need to get out for a run today.  It's lovely weather hear at the moment.  Had a really lazy Bank Hol - so better remind my legs what they need to do for Bristol on Sunday.

Catch you all soon. xx 

• sorry to cut across all the other news, but did you say that you HADN'T ORGANISED THE BEERS YET?

Jeez, what's wrong with you lot?? Just glad I'm not doing Notts if the organisation is that utterly shambolic!image

• It's alright Adrian, you misunderstood the beer situation...  The list is made and the pub has been chosen we just need to finalise the finer details... like who's getting the 1st round in. image

Oooooh one of the blokes I talk to on another thread is doing the Hoody Half... MD6 (now Iron-MD6)... he has Paddington Bear as his avitar... anyhoo am trying to organise meeting up with him too.... Can't wait... *rubs hands with glee*

Were we EVER serious on here about our training??  I had noticed that about the full distance thread for Notts that they were all taking the training very seriously and hardly ever if at all talked about food & beer.

Ouch Darren... As you say at least you know how to deal with it this time so you could get straight on with the recovery plan... Speedy recovery wishes heading your way.

Adrian & Phil... Put on your serious faces... Grrrrr Argh... and go get 'em... You can get that sub-4 Phil & you can show those serious Simons how it's done Adrian.

Weekend didn't quite go according to plan... 13mile run into Leeds on Saturday... by about 8 miles the 3rd toe on my right foot was starting to feel like the nail was being torn off... I gritted my teeth and carried on but by 11miles I'd clean run out of HTFU so limped the last 2 miles to the station.  When we got home I closed my eyes as I took my trainer off and made Mr CS see how much blood there was... NONE!!!  Yipheee!!  Then I took the sock off to be confronted by a blood blister the size of your head smack bang on the end of my toe. image  Bike ride on Sunday was good, if hillier than expected... I'm sure at one point a snail overtook me... Then yesterday instead of a gentle 4 miler (as my toe was still hurting like hell) we went into Skipton sheep spotting (see FB photos), it was great fun and we reckon we walked a fair few miles finding them all so by the end of the day I was limping quite a bit again. 

• Sheep spotting did I read that right?image

• Weather here is also great at the minute, got a 10.5 mile run in this morning, very enjoyable it was too, although I do need to increase the long runs, so hopefully get out for 16 tomorrow while it stays nice.
  • Sheep Spotting  There have been the odd sheep sh&gging joke on my FB and Fiona has reliably informed me that its only the good looking sheep that are used & abused... I don't know how exactly you determine what makes a good looking sheep... image
  • Caz, I burst out loud laughing at the snail reference as it reminded me of a 10K I did for the RAF in 1994, going up one of the rarest of things in Norflok - a hill!! I recall a young lady pushing her baby in pushchair past me as I "ran" up this hill - me and my mate who I was running with were not happy image Hope your toe sorts itself out quickly, do you wear 1000 mile socks or the equivalent?

Fiona, ok you have me over a barrel all ends up, quite a pathetic moan really wasn't it image When I am just so chuffed to have the chance to see more of Toby image All the best For Sep 5, i will be thinking of you enviously asthe 13.1 mile point comes by!!! And BTW, an Ultra with WR - not even funny madam image

Adrian, on the subject of beer I am going to get quietly bladdered Sep 5 evening whatever the result/time. image

Its a beautful day here in sunny Scotland, hope your all enjoying the same.

PS I have a very minor knee niggle and will probably not run anymore this week to rest it as much as possible ahead of Sunday!

• Good luck Phil for Sunday - hope the knee niggle is just a bit of taper madness and nothing to be concerned about.  As I cross the finish line, exhausted, in a heap - I shall definitely be thinking 'Thank God I had the sense to just enter a half unlike some nutters I could mention' imageimage  Enjoy your post race pint with your boys - you deserve it.

Caz you will have to double check with Shaun what actually makes a good looking sheep - it's a man thing apparently - whilst wearing wellies?!! imageimage

Due out for my run soon - weather still fab so got to make the most of it. image

• I've been wearing those 1000mile fusion socks, twin skin with extra padding in the toes so I have no idea what on earth is going on with my toe... It's the same one that leaked a load of blood the other week from parts unknown... Have bought a toe cap protector thing from boots just in case it hasn't healed fully in time for this weekends 10k & next weekends half...  And before you ask, its like a thick gel/rubber condom for your toe... I've used them before when I was a newbie running in too small trainers and they seem to help.
  • What Phil no ultra? There's plenty in Scotland, what about the Highland Fling on the 30th of April - a nice 53 mile jaunt - registration opens tomorrow, do you fancy it??

I thought you meant proper sheep Caz, I saw plenty on my run this morning. Ran 10 miles and didn't see any people but did see plenty of sheep and cattle.

I wear 1000 mile tri socks and have never had any problem with them btw.

• Hello everybody, been a long time since i was on here and you guys are still flying the flag.

Good to see you lot running well and good luck with the upcoming races. Ive had a shit month firstly with my calf then personal problems, so running was the last thing on my mind. Got into a bad routine with the ale n food and the nicotine, with no exercise at all apart from putting the empties in the bin.

Anyway thats in the past and i did my first bit last night on my road to recovery, a 4.5m run/walk which i enjoyed. Got my race pack for notts and realise its only around 10days off race day. Wont be even attempting the full and will be happy to finish the half. Ive got no times to go for, just wanna enjoy the occasion and have a few beers with the crew.

Off for some healthy lunch now....image 

• wahey! welcome to the half GP, you know it makes sense! in all honesty the 2nd half of the full is run around some pretty uninspiring, verging on bleak ground so your not really missing much there! on a serious note, hope all the issues have sorted themselves out & your ok now? after a pretty miserable summer of training/injuries im just looking foward to making it round then catching up for beers, in fact im looking foward to the beers far more than the race!

Phil/WR good going with those long runs, im actually pretty damn envious of you guys at the mo! are you both racing at the weekend? good luck at beating those whippersnappers at the weekend Phil!

decide my training tactics for the next month are not to run anything under 7min miles in training. realised lastnight whilst running at 7.30min pace for for just a gentle couple of miles that pretty much all of my training is done below 6.30m/m. which may explain all the damn injuries! taking it easy is going to be my motto for a while! must admit though it was hard to fight the natural urge to pick it up when somone overtook me lastnight!

• GP - sorry to hear about your sh*t month, glad you are on the way back now. image

CS - have you considered just running with your feet wrapped in bandagesimage

FionaEvs 7 wrote (see)

Caz you will have to double check with Shaun what actually makes a good looking sheep

What makes a good looking sheep is that it is on a plate next to some new potatoes and asparagus.

Philby - If I don't get online before the weekend good luck with Moray this weekend. It will be good practice for that ultra you are doing with WR.............image

• GP, good to see you back fella, hope your turning the corner so to say, good luck at Notts.

DT2, I didn't realise you are such a speed demon, a sub 6:30 m/m would probably do me in! You are undoubtedly doing the right thing in throttling back a bit, say down to human times such as a leisurely 8:00 m/m??

TWU, thanks for that, as for doing a Ultra with WR I may be mad but I havent been certified officially image

Picking dan up from inverness this afternoon, not sure when Adam gets here but things are getting exciting now with just a few days to go, the knee seems to be calming down a bit, not ideal doing no running in the week before but better that than knacker my knee ahead of the big day!

Fiona, what training are you doing with just a couple of days to go?

Phil

• imageCrikey! - let me just pick myself up off the floor................................bloody hell DT - I know we have quite rightly named you Super Tanner - but to run under 6.30m/m every training run?!! - jeepers.  Yup - think you've hit the nail on the head and should take it easy (!!!) at a leisurley 7.30m/m.  image

Blimey, think the only 7.30 I'm likely to hit in the context of running is going out at 7.30 in the morning - and not even that is pleasant. imageimageimage

GP - sorry to hear you have not had a great time.  So glad you are still able to join us in Notts though.  I'm sure you will be OK with the half even with the lack of training - and then we can all head to the pub for a healthy lunch together. Lol.

Phil - I can feel your excitement brewing. image Training this week - went out last night, felt pretty good so ran quite steady till 10k and then eased off and cooled down with slow jog home.  Will probably throw in a short 3 -4 miles on Thurs and then rest.  Have the rumblings of a cold I think - been like it for days now.  Not ill but all my sinuses and tubes feel gunked up (pleasant I know image) So not sure how my lungs are going to cope with the effort on Sunday.  As soon as I stopped yday I was coughing.  Time will tell.  Popping herbal remedies like they are going out of fashion.

Caz - good luck on Sunday - with the running and your friend. imageimage

Catch you all soon. xx

• Welcome back GP, so sorry that life hasn't been dealing you a fair hand just lately... Hopefully its getting back on the right track now and you'll be buzzing come a week on Sunday...  Just relax and enjoy the ride, you'll be way ahead of me even with limited/non-existent training and can get the drinks lined up ready. image

*hands Fi Vit C & Zinc tablets*  Hope the rumblings come to nothing hun... Good luck on Sunday, text & let me know how you got on. image

Philby, the enforced rest will probably do you the world of good come Sunday... Your legs will be raring to go and you'll whizz past those you whipper snappers. Go Philby *waves Pom Poms*

Darren you are indeed a little speed demon, I can't even go that fast on my bike... image  You take it easy with your 7min miles... Strewth!!!

I'm still on enforced rest and to rub salt into the wounds Mr CS is running home from work tonight... I'm not jealous... *mumble grumble mumble*  As he wouldn't let me pop this stupid thing on my toe this morning we compromised and I pulled the adjacent toes apart whilst he strategically placed a blister plaster on the offending toe... And by strategically I mean, put it on and then screwed up the edges as much as possible... I'm getting desperate now... Think thiswayups idea of wrapping my feet in bandages might not be a bad idea.

Is it wrong of me to think that if I push the pace during the 1st half my friend might tell me to run on ahead without her after the turnaround point and then I can get a reasonable time (for me) if not a PB???  This is all providing I'm healed and fit to run of course.   Watch, it'll be just my luck that she'll suddenly find all this extra energy and leave me for dust LOL.

• Blood test results are back and the diagnosis is nuffink, diddly squat, zilch, naff all.... Just need a large dose of HTFU apparently... image
  • Good news on the blood test front Caz.  Although still no answers as to why you felt so poorly.  Just a virus/bug and a bit run down I 'spose.  At least you are OK now - just need to amputate that toe!! imageimage I will send you a txt on Sunday and let you know how it goes and catch up on your 10k.  Can you imagine if your friend suddenly turns into Forest Gump. OMG! - that would be funny after all the moaning.  Some how I can't see it.  You just enjoy. image

So is Mr CS getting a bit serious about this whole running thing now?  I hope he sticks to the plan and supports you all the way around Notts.

Gonna have a little jaunt later on I think - see if I can drag Shaun out.   His pack still hasn't arrived for Notts - mine has.  Strange.

• Hey Caz, good news on the blood test, as for the toe, who knows it may just be its worn out after the battering its had of late and was weeping tears image Hope your on the mend - however frustrating it feels ! Good to see Mr CS is getting into this running malarkey, it's a bit addictive at times, and howver much you feel your body needs a rest you don't half feel guilty about it - well at least from my perspective. Quite envious your race pack has arrived, its all done on the day on the Moray at a registration desk apparantly!

Fi, try ramming as much Vit C down your throat as you can stand, it really does work for me. Best of British (Welsh image ) for Sunday girl - go bust that 2 hrs!!!

Dan arrived yesterday and has proceeded to eat the cupboard bare! I am plying him with whisky in the vain hope it compromises him for Sun, and no I don't think its underhand - he's a big boy now!

Adam, arrives late tonight, then the tension will really start to build!!!

Cmon Sunday get here NOW - and please rain rain rain image

• Good luck Sunday Philby, from your training it sounds like you'll fly round. Show your lads how to do it!
  • Adrian, cheers for that. I am going to need all the luck I can get, the sodding forecast is 18 deg c, with winds of 18 gusting 32 kts image But its the same for all but I really really dislike the heat - well for running anyway. give me a beach and a bar and I'm your man, if only there was an endurance event that involved them image
  • image - think Shaun will be up for that one Philby - endurance - drink - beach - bar - all in the same sentence .........................his idea of heaven. imageimage  What is it with you Welsh men? imageimage

Good Luck Tomorrrow - hope it's not too hot.

• Fiona, tell Shaun if he's interested in setting up that bar on the costa del sol some day I AM IN image

And best of luck for your run tomorrow, whatever you do, remember as you cross the start line "how many people are doing this right now?" and the truth is you and I will be in an extremely small minority of people who have:

a. Have the luck to be fit and healthy enough to try this.
    b. Have actually scrapped your ass off the sofa to train and get to race day
    c. And finally, whatever the result is I am going to be proud just to get around knowing I gave it my all.

Good luck everyone who are running this weekend.

Phil
  • goodluck tommorow guys, im extremley jealous! think Phil summed it up perfectly, we take for granted the significance of all the hard work, aches,pains and troubles we put ourselves through to get to that start line. percentage of people that have that determination & willpower........less than 1%, so in my book that makes us all stars (or nutters!) go get em guys & do us proud!

managed a gentle 10m yesterday (a bit sore today) but pretty confident i'll be healed in time to see you all on the start line & more importantly at the finish line boozer next week!