Overpronating, heel striking

There's no hope for me, is there?  Should I take up knitting??

Comments

• I do all that too, so you're not alone!  image
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but can you knit??
  • I remember trying to knit a scarf for my teddy bear when I was little and it got wider and wider, and more and more full of holes with every row, so...... no I can't!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm do not pass Go, do not collect £200
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That was me but after a bit of advice I now have altered my gait enough to avoid picking up the injuries it used to result in ie tendonitis and ITBFS. Lots of arm pumping and heel kicking and running with smaller strides John Wayne style, and also a lot of core work to stabilise me. But my problems arose from 7 years of buggy running (no arms and overstriding to keep pace) and 4 pregnancies with everything that entailed. It is possible though so good luck if you do try to deal with it.
  • Vicky Pea wrote (see)
    I remember trying to knit a scarf for my teddy bear when I was little and it got wider and wider, and more and more full of holes with every row, so...... no I can't!

It's not every day I admit this but I did the same thing for my Action Man when I was 12!  It kind of swallowed his head, so he didn't wear it in, er, combat.  Good job I can run cos I'm crap at knitting!

yer_maj - I still heel strike after a few years but according to various gait analyses it has got better - and besides a certain amount of pronation is natural, it's just what happens when you run.  As long as you take preventative action where necessary, e.g. strengthening/stretching calves/ankles, back off if any niggles, IMO it's not necessary to try and deliberately change your running style, and it may possibly get more efficient over time.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I used to think changing your gait was a bit odd but having found out my natural gait had changed due to various factors (eg running during pregnancy, buggy running and running with post-pregnancy weight and weak core), I took on board the advice I was given and am really pleased I did. After several years of niggles, I can recognise when something hurts and why it is and make a conscious effort to adjust my gait to eradicate it. I used to see the physio regularly and accepted it was part of regular running but now haven't any need to and just have sports massage from time to time. Obviously everyone is different but I thought it worth highlighting what us wimmin can suffer from and how it differs from the menfolk.
  • PhilPub wrote (see)
    Vicky Pea wrote (see)
    I remember trying to knit a scarf for my teddy bear when I was little and it got wider and wider, and more and more full of holes with every row, so...... no I can't!

It's not every day I admit this but I did the same thing for my Action Man when I was 12!  It kind of swallowed his head, so he didn't wear it in, er, combat.  Good job I can run cos I'm crap at knitting!

I'm glad you admitted it, because it made me smile!  image
  • I'm having a full gait analysis next week. My gait is largely to do with 42 years of unknowingly compensating for a leg length discrepancy and twisted hips!
  • I've got the leg length discrepancy too - it's caused me 39 years of grief so far but it's not going to beat me if there's a way round it!!

Phil I am so impressed with the knitting thing.  Top man.