Copenhagen Marathon

Comments

• I have never run a marathon but would quite like to do one. I suppose the advantage here is that it will be flat.

Is it a race for serious athletes only ?

Mentioned it to a couple of friends but they were a bit negative.

• Rick,

Surely, that portion is big enough to serve two people,- unless you're very greedy!

Swedish as well! Well done! Slightly different pronunciation in Danish and you will easily get by...

If I had to worry about spelling and pronunciation, I would not be on this forum!

Am surprised how patient you guys are, when I'm trying my best school English!

BTW LL is back from Grimsby on Sunday. Am beginning to miss her. She's an expert on Rødgrød med fløde!

• CR - we didn't dance! I should have used better English, we met at the music/dancing event after the brekkie run. I obviously made quite an impact!! :-)
  • rødrrød isn`t that the really gelatinous stuff ?

Found your earlier post and I am not scandinavian but live in Norway.
  • Hoover,

WW CPH is not only for serious athletes! I am not sure what the cut-off time is, but I will look into it... and the route is flat indeed.

If you want to run a marathon, then I think you should go for it. I ran my first in Dublin and I thought it was fantastic!

It takes a lot of hard work and training, determination and planning, but it is one of the best things I have ever done!

Never mind the negative friends. You will get a lot of new positive ones,- especially here at the forum! ;-))
  • OB,

Well if you look a bit like your picture, then I think I know, who you are! Too bad we did not get to dance! ;-)
  • Oh no, Hoover, not unless you put too much cornstarch in!
  • I'm back from Grimsby!
    Have missed you all! Glad to hear that Dublin went well.
    Hoover, I have never done a marathon before either and if I dont get into FLM then Copenhagen will be my first. CR, have you discovered whether there is a cutoff time?
    Just to add to the store of knowledge on red fruit pudding, let me say that Tesco has bags of frozen red fruit (strawberries,rasberries,redcurrants & cherries I think)so you can make the dish even when the fruit is not in season. My humble attempt passed the CR taste test and I am no Jamie Oliver!
  • Come on, LL, you are being way too modest!!

Anyway, good to have you back! We have missed you too!

Will contact Sparta to ask about cutoff time.

Any other questions while I am at it?
  • Can i do it in instalments?
  • Guys guys guys...back from hols but havnt had chance to read all of the posting yet...
    How do I register...?? Went to the website yesterday but all it seemed to say was send an email to info@copenhagen etc etc. Havnt seen a response yet...also requested an information pack. Seem to think earlier in this posting there was mentioning of entering online but I certainly couldnt see anything other than that above.
    Have amazingly got into London this year..so looks as though its gonna be a 2 x 2 (the IW version of the 7 x 7 ;-)
  • Good news about FLM Ian.
    I just sent an email to info@copenhagen giving my name, d.o.b, address and number of previous marathons(0!)and saying please let me enter. Got a response back pretty quickly. You've reminded me they said there would be a list of those entered on the website. Must check my name is there. TTFN
  • Can't find the list but there is a lot more information in Danish. Can you help, CR?

• Hi all, welcome back IW and LL, hope you and yours all had a good break?

I too sent an e-mail but received no response, on the evening of the 22nd last month.

Pictures from a certain recent Irish marathon are here by the way . . good to meet the 2R's and have a natter but we never did get to plan a CPH strategy!

Been very poorly with Dublin flu since I got home as well but at least it means I'm getting lots of rest!!

• Ian Wood, LL, Rick

Have just sent long e-mail in Danish to WW CPH and have asked about registration list, cut-off time, transport, accommodation etc.

Will keep you posted...

• Thanks CR . . you're a WW CPH star!!!!

Not that I'm worried . . yet!!

• Rich,
    Thanks, am blushing...
    Hopefully I will get an answer!

Are you are feeling better now?
    Know you have been under a lot of pressure because of pics from Dublin!

I'm very impressed with the result. Fancy "scroll down curtain".

So what wld. you like us to plan for CPH?
    - Venues to meet up before/after marathon?
    - Suitable restaurants for "carbing up"
    - Sightseeing...

BTW there will be big screens at the EXPO on Friday 14th of May transmitting the Royal Wedding....

• Bit better now CR thanx . .

Never used one of those drop down menu's before so I'm pleased with the result, thanks :-)

We need all those things for CPH . . good idea to start a list.

<whispers very quietly> but I have to say I'm finding it difficult to get really wildly enthusiastic about the Royal Wedding!!

• Rich,

Whispers very quietly back:
    "I understand about the RW...It's a girls thing..."
  • official photos are up!
  • wrong thread, that should have been Dublin!
  • Guys,

Just got an email with kind regards from Bente Frøkjær at Sparta.

She thinks it's great, that we want to run Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.

Answers to your questions:

The registration has just started. A list of names should be found at the website from November 15th.

There is no loft on the number of runners. In recent years there have been around 6.000 runners. They are hoping for the marathon to grow even bigger in 2004,- maybe up to 10.000.

There is not cut-off time. It's NOT only for serious athletes. However, it is a run, and only a few have spent more than 6 hours completing it.

Nobody knows, if the hotel prices will go up that particular week-end. The Danish newspapers say, that there are too many hotelrooms in CPH. If that is true, it's doubtful, that the prices will rise.

Sparta has made a special deal with Cab Inn Hotels
    http://www.cabinn.dk/UK/index.htm
    These hotels are quite cheap and centrally located.

Also they are in contact with Scandic Hotels
    http://www.scandic-hotels.dk/

Another option is a hostel.

There are no current plans on offering private accommodation, but they will discuss the possibility at Sparta...

Also Bente Frøkjær has checked, how to get from Malmø in Sweden to Copenhagen.

You will need take the bus nr. 110 from Sturup Airport to Malmø station (it takes about 45 min.).

After about 10 min. waiting you can take the train to København H.

Traveltime is about 1 1/2 hours all in all during rushhours. In the evening it will probably take longer.

Bente ends her e-mail by wishing us all a good winter season.

Sparta is looking forward to welcoming us in Copenhagen on the 16th of May 2004...

How kind is that??
  • That is so wonderful, CR. It brings a tear to my eye. Thank you for emailing Bente on our behalf.
  • OK, next on list....

Possible venues, restaurants, sights...

Will look into

Gråbrødre Torv. A lovely little square in central Copenhagen with lots of restaurants and cafees. A square with periode houses cobblestones, waterfeatures, trees, if you get the picture.

There used to be a great restaurant at this square called Pasta Basta with loads of different pasta dishes ideal for carbing up..

One of my favorite places in Copenhagen used to be the Royal Library Garden. It is just opposite the Parlament, Christiansborg.

Now everything has probably been changed since they built The Black Diamond, but I am sure that is another great venue. The marathon starts off here..

Will get back to subject...
  • excellent work CR - there's no excuse for me not entering now!

• Told you were a star CR . . thanx very much!!

I could gather all the links you've found together and create a WW CPH resource page on my website, what do you think?

btw . . don't forget to fit some training into all this surfing you're doing!!

• Rich, would you? could you?

I was hoping you'd offer to create a WW CPH page on your site, that would be brilliant!!

Actually, I have lifted weights today. No running since Dublin thou, will start next week.

How about it LL? I need to burn som fat! This week my eating has gone mad, chocolates, chocolates and more chocolates!
  • OB,
    That is great!!

Runners, who might be interested:
    Angelis,
    Peppermint Hippo,
    Hoover
    Ian Wood,
    LL,
    OB,
    Plum??
    CR

I hope Peppermint Hippo and Hoover will be convinced too...