Wooburn Park 10K

Looking forward to this one, as are my kids for the 3k.  I've run it every year since 2006 and got faster each time.

Bring on that hill!

Comments

• I've just entered this one for the first time, loooking forward to it. I was under the impression it wasn't that hilly, am a bit nervous now, is it bad?
  • No, not at all. The first 1k is quite steep and then it is fine. Bonus is the last 1k is the same as the first so is a lovely down hill.
  • Would you say this is OK for a "10km" virgin?  Not a particularly fast runner but would like to progress on from the 5k to 10k and looking for one that wont mind if I come at the back!!

• Carolyn - yes I would say this is OK for a beginner. It is not the easiest 10k as it is not flat, but is is not too challenging either. All sorts of runners enter including beginners. It is one of my favourite events of the year. There is a lovely village fete like atmosphere at the start/finish, and the organisers and marshalls are very friendly.

• What attactions are there in the park for the family? Do 3 runners from the same club count as a team?
  • Ooo this looks good - not done it before - will be a challenge for me to finish under 60mins - on hols til nt Sat so will see how my training goes whilst in France.
    Hope to EOD.
    GMx
  • I'm in again. I'd forgotten the hill image  Haven't received a race pack yet.

Last year, this was part of their official description of the race -    "Starts with a challenging Hill . . . "

- and how!

Yes, they described it correctly!  It's a steep start . . . and then it gets even steeper!

It's the first race I've run where I actually felt gravity pulling me backward before getting my foot down for the next step image and I needed to walk before I had done 1K imageimage       But, once you get over that bit everything evens out fairly well and the route does more gentle things. Fantastic finish though image (and the only one where I can honestly say I sprinted over the finish line imageimage)

Phil - I seem to remember a Tombola stall amongst other things (I won some absolutely awful Christmas cards!)

• Not got my race pack yet either...

Yup, very tough start, don't expect a fast first mile. Lovely finish though.

They usually have a bouncy castle, BBQ and I think a beer tent.

• Is there a 3K fun run, as i can't see anything mentioning this on the website ?
  • On the website it says "A fun run round the Park is planned for children to start at 10.45". Last year this was a 3k. They also put on a '100 metres' type run for the younger kids.

Still not got my running pack though. Anyones else?

• Apologies, i didn't read that far. good stuff daughter will be happy.

I applied online this morning for the 10K, hopefully i'll get my pack this week.

I did my second 10K yesterday 'Swallowfield' and thought what the heck i got a week to recover.

• I haven't got my race pack yet either.

How was Swallowfield? I was signed up to run but had to cancel as double booked myself.

• Swallowfield was good quite up and down, rained a little which was refreshing, crammed start line. looking forward to Wooburn, although the everyones comments on the first hill are a bit worrying, hopefully it won't be as steep as the Wycombe 10K start.
  • I applied on-line through RW on 22nd August - still no race pack.
  • Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a post code for this race but can't find one and I haven't had a reply yet from the organisers...

help!

cheers

O.

• I have just got my race pack in the post. It doesn't show a postcode on there or on their website. I know the park is on Town Lane if that is any help.

• thanks!

i wll try this and hope for the best on the dayimage

• The hill is pretty steep, just take that first 1k really easy as a a warm up and the rest is a doddle,. The hill is then a fast blast back to the start field.

Nice leafy route too and the beer tent usually has Rebellion from Marlow - perfect for a bit of post race re-hydration image

• Try HP10 0JA.  My lad's team played a football match there recently and this was the postcode given for Wooburn Park.   And these are the instructions given from High Wycombe direction-   From the centre of High Wycombe proceed along London Road (A40) in the direction of Loudwater/Beaconsfield. Continue along for approx 3 miles until you come to the Large roundabout at Loudwater (Tesco/Junction 3 M40). Take the fourth exit into Knaves Beech (By Dreams, the second exit is to Tescos and the third exit is to the M40). Continue along for approx 500yds and take the first exit at the mini-roundabout, left into Boundary Road (A4094). Boundary Road becomes Wycombe Lane and then becomes Town Lane and after approx 2 miles you will reach Wooburn Green (Triangular Green is on your left). Continue along Town Lane (A4094) towards Bourne End for approx another 0.5 mile and you will pass St. Paul's Church on your left. Take the first left immediately pass the Church into Wash Hill (if you go past the Old Bell Public House, you have gone too far) and continue for approx 200yds and you will come to the entrance of Wooburn Park. Pack arrived today btw
  • Still planning to EOD - so best get some zzzzzz's - c y'all tomorras - have a great event - GMx
  • Oh, no-one has posted back here yet.
    Had a great event - what a toughie that 1st 1k hill is - but so rewarding on the return.
    I hadn't trained well nuff for this so was knackered by 4k and practically crying by 7k.
    Managed a respectable 63mins tho.
    Lovely atmosphere.
    How did you peeps get on?
    GMx
  • I really enjoyed the race too, that first hill was really tough but it's nice to know that after the 1k the hardest bit is over. Does anyone know where I can find the results?
  • Yes this was enjoyable, the first hill was hard, but i think i scared myself so much before hand, it didn't appear as bad as i thought.

I still can't get the hang of running with a cup of water, so had to stop and walk for a little while, which made it hard for my legs to get going again, but the water was needed.

I don't know how i didn't fall over coming down the final hill, i almost missed the right turn at the end, and took out the marshalls.

ps. i guess next race i need some plasters as (male thing) i have bleeding nipples, never had that before, ouch.

My daughter did the fun run, which she did really well in, unfortunately they didn't time it, which is a shame, luckily i made it back in time to see her second lap though.

As for the results, they mentioned that there was an 'IT' malfunction, and the results would be posted on the website later that day

http://www.wooburnpsa.org.uk/

I have checked but it still hasn't been updated, still showing 2009 results, does anyone knows where else to look

• http://www.wooburnpsa.org.uk/ has been updated, it currently just has the winners, but says it will be updated in the next few days
  • I'm one of the event organisers as well as someone who ran on Sunday at Wooburn.  The results are now on the website - thanks for ytour patience and apols for the delay.  The computer crash after around 50 runners came through has caused us a real problems but thankfully we had backup systems in place.  Relying on the secondary, manual system means accuracy may not be quite as good as we'd like, but hopefully there will not be too many concerns.

Its great to see the postive feedback on this forum and the event listing itself.  Please keep the feedback coming - we want to know what you all like and don't like so we can continue to make it better.  But we're not talking the hill away!!

Thanks to all for running, whether you're a newbie or a Wooburn veteran.  And a particular thank you for acknowledging the contribution of the marshalls, I'll make sure that gets passed on.

• Phil

Thanks to you and all the marshalls, great event.