Options

Cardiff Half-Marathon 2010

Entered at last.

I hope the snags and snarls from last year are sorted!

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to enter again. What probs did you have? all went pretty smooth for me last year I think! 
  • Options
    It was fab last year!  Only issue I remem was the badly organised bag pickup at the end.  Queued for an hour, but made a new friend in the queue image
  • Options
    it'll be my first race, but then by the time i finish the worst of the queues should be gone image
  • Options

Last year it seemed that some lessons had been learned from previous years.
    There was still the issue of too few toilets, unmarshalled starting pens which therefore allowed some runners who had no realistic hope of acheiving the indicated time to enter. 

I think Cardiff has come on in leaps and bounds and has the potential to be one of the great Halfs, maybe things would be better if it did become part of the "Great Run" series? A big city needs big promotion!

• Options

There was a Great Wales Run 10k a couple of years ago, but I understand (may be wrong) that the council would not help fund it. 

I think the Half is a brilliantly organised race and am doing it this year too.  Every race has it's good points and bad points. Not sure we need to mess with a winning formula. 

• Options
    Oh yes I remember the lack of toilets! I was frantically wanting to go at the last minute, like you do and a guy said use the mens all the other ladies are, so i did and no-one seemed to mindimage
  • Options

There was Great Welsh 5K Run back in 1993 or 94 (sponsored by BUPA) which Paul Evans won.
    BUPA also sponsored the Cardiff Bay 5K a coiple of years ago but the entry fee of £20 put a few(!) off.

I do think the Half is better now than it was but it does need to be better promoted.Highlights at 2 o'clock in the morning on S4C a month after the event really isn't very good!
    There must be somebody out there who can do it?

• Options

Cardiff will be my first H.M. image

I'm really apprehensive about it but excited at the same time, crazy emotions!

I've set a realistic goal, I just want to get round without resorting to a walk ! I'm upto 7.5/8 miles on a long slow run (it's not a cool look for me but I can do it) and I try to fit in a 3 mile and 4/5 mile run in the week. I've done a few 5K and 10K events so I'm guessing it'll be like that but longer.

I don't know Cardiff at all so one quick newbie question. Does flat course really mean flat?

• Options
    Yes, in Cardiff, flat is flat
  • Options
    Don't forget the Speed bumps in Bute Park,they are really steep!! image
  • Options

Only joking Debs!

As you already have a few races of 10K under your belt, a "Half" like Cardiff should be a good introduction to the longer distance.
    If you can try and get a long run in once a week,10 miles if possible,and 2 or 3 runs of up to 5 or 6 miles you should be fairly comfortable for the big day.

The main thing is to train sensibly,set yourself a realistic time,go out,do it and,more importantly,
    enjoy it!

Enjoy life! Enjoy running! image 

• Options
    Debs - I have a 12 week HM training schedule aimed at just under 2.5 hour finish.  PM me if you would like a copy.  I am using it for Great North Run and then ticking over for Cardiff Half a few weeks later
  • Options

just done a couple of 9 milers this week (rest day between) which left me with slightly sore knees following day so cut the distance on yesterdays run back to 3.5 and will run a couple of easy 5's this weekend. another rest day today.

not bothered about  time on the day although under 2.5 hours would be nice. 

running in the summer warmth i assume is good as it should be cooler on the day in october.

if all goes well back to a couple of 9's next week and a couple of 6's just to mixi it up a little.

• Options
    What is the traffic and parking like on the day ?
  • Options

Thanks for the help and advice Schmunkee and Spike .

I've got my chuff chart counting down and the rest of the summer to prepare. image

• Options

Debs
     No problem,glad to be of use! Keep in touch!

Terry
    Parking has been a problem in the past,NCP in particular suddenly put up their rates for the day! Where are travelling from?

• Options

I will coming from Carmarthen way so not far to travel but I don't know Cardiff that well.

So I guess I better leave at a silly time of the morning

• Options
    I don't drive I just rely on my wife! Not sure if there are any trains early Sunday?
  • Options
    No trains that time on Sunday but I am sure we will squeeze the car in some where
  • Options
    Debs Red wrote (see)

Cardiff will be my first H.M. image

I feel like a bit of a fraud now having completed the Swanage half at the weekend in 2:20.  The plan is Cardiff will be my second HM image with maybe a better finishing time.

• Options
    terry believe the start is now down the bay away from city centre, easy to get to from M4 and try and find a PARKING spot in bay area.this could be a problem as limited car parks. however the start is only around 1 mile from city centre. Goody bags are the worst in the world certainly not value for money.
    if anyone looking for a fast half .try the torfaen half the following sunday in gwent.
  • Options
    Yup, it seems the start has moved to the bay, so now I have changed my hotel booking to the Future Inn in the bay.  Was there last year and it was the perfect spot for supporting as you saw the runners in and out of the bay.  Unfortunately, by moving the start, this won't be such an attraction.  But as I will be running it and have no support, then that's not an issue. image
  • Options
    watch where you park as the scumbags from vinci parking are red hot with tickets.
  • Options
    The Future Inn has their own parking image (or did have last year)
  • Options
    patrolled by the vinci hawks, you must give your car reg to reception(future inn)I did and the bastards still sent me a ticket (got off eventually). I got revenge saw a vinci van and the driver was using his mobile phone.he now has 3 points on his licence and a £60 fine.
  • Options

Yeah, knew that re car reg to reception, but still handy to know things may not go according to plan.  Thanks for the warning!

• Options

Hi all

I'm after a place for the half marathon which is now full so if anyone would like to sell me their place, could you please let me know? Completely my own fault for procrastinating about whether to enter for far too long....

Thank you!

• Options

There is still a chance you can get.Contact the organisers,there is a reserve list that you can put your name on should anyone pull out.

Be aware that buying someone else's place is not advisable.It can lead to mix up's with medical details and problems.You can also face a ban from this and future events.

Sorry to be a doom merchant but it has happened in the past.Just be careful!! 

• Options
    a girl swapped her entry for edingburgh last yr he ran so fast she ended up 3rd female overall, got bubbled and banned for life.....like anyone could check if she entered again. if i hear anything i will let you know.