What if I don't get in

Comments

• Lars ...Rotterdam, you wont be dissapointed its a beauty - My cheque for FLM was cashed yesterday so Im startin g the Marathon year with Rotterdam then FLM 2 weeks later. I very glad they are not on the same day in 2004.
  • M.

Well done running this thread. Keep up the good work
  • Taunton appears to be April 4 as well
  • Thanks BK again. Quite looking forward to a European marathon holiday now. Dublin last week was lots of fun even though I only spectated. Ta for the info on Bungay and Taunton....

Barcelona - March 14
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Bungay Black Dog - April 4
    Taunton - April 4
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Dartmoor Vale - June 13
    Edinburgh - June 13

Le Touquet - ?(mid April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)
    Sheffield - ?(in June last year)
    Lake Vyrnwy - ?(early June)
  • eeeeeeyin

could you please e mail or post about how you recover between maras
    or are you just fit
  • And dates for Leeds and Lake Vyrnwy.

Barcelona - March 14
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Taunton - April 4
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Leeds - May 9
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Lake Vyrnwy - June 6
    Dartmoor Vale - June 13
    Edinburgh - June 13

• Boston to Skegness Sea Bank Marathon was 8th June this year. No date for next as yet.
  • M.

You're doing a brill job!

Thanks!

• No cheques cashed yet...ho hum which too choose.

One abroad would be nice but the cost puts me off....surely going to Paris is gonna cost about £400? Plus I do enough travelling abroad on my own with work I don't fancy going running abroad on my own...anyone any good experiences and examples of how much a European marathon cost them?
  • Use a low-cost airline. Someone I know has just booked a weekend in Frankfurt for £2.99. We had a weekend in Olso last year; fares were £9 each.

Cost isn't the real problem. If you don't like travelling abroad on your own, there isn't lot to say. You could do Lochaber in Scotland or Loch Ness.

• BBB, There's already 15+ forumites booked up for Paris and I'm sure that the list will grow. You definitely won't be alone there!
  • European Marathons 2004
    Flights race entry accommodation and spending money

Paris with wife 2 nites £600
    Rotterdam with pal 3 nites £250
    Belfast 2 nights with pal £200
    Prague 1 nite with pal £100
    Den Hague Day Trip £120
    Leiden day trip £120
    Amsterdam 2 nites £200
    (Prague was a KLM bonus flight only paid taxes and Airport costs)

Three cheers for EasyJet
  • Peppermint Hippo ...... Recovery - a week between marathons is not a problem 2 weeks is much better but I think a lot of it is in the mind ..... I did 4 in a month all around 3:30 mark (1st one was 3:21) Look at Sir Rannulf Finnes.... 60 years old and 7 marathons in 7 days plus jet lag .... amazing. I did struggle with Amsterdam and then Dublin recently, but i didnt prepare if any at all. for the 4 in a month, I was averaging only 25 miles a week and a long cycle once a week. Its a tremendous buzz flying to an international marathon which helps too.
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Do you think it is time to really think about alternatives now or would you wait another week if the cheque hasn't been cashed so far?
    And looking at EEyin's list Rotterdam would really be the best option.
  • I'm waiting till the magazines come out. Some people didn't have their cheques cashed till a few days before the magazines arrived last year.

M (in the wait and see camp)
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    And one other thought. Does any of the alternatives has a half marathon attached? A friend of mine still owes me 13.1 miles support on a marathon from this years Robin Hood marathon.
  • ... you could run the grandad of all marathons, 108th edition of the Boston marathon.

19/4 Boston Marathon
  • So eeyin
    i should just do it
    ok
  • Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    My brother was due to but didn't run this year's Stockholm maraton on June 14 (Next year June 5)He went along though to watch as already had place tickets booked. His friend ran it though and comes highly recommended (Although it does I think start at the slightly unusual time of 1pm or so on a Saturday). It does get hot though and they offer salted gherkins as energy food en route! Five or so years ago this was rated in RW as one of the best marathons in the world. Brother says you can get cheap flights there. I may consider it if I cannot get into London.
  • Eeyin,

I just presented my conclusion from your list to Mary and now have 2 black eyes and a squeaky voice. She did not agree with me that your had clearly demonstrated it was much cheaper to go away for the weekend with a mate than with the wife!!!

Simon
  • S.I.T. ..... The simple reason its cheaper to go with a mate is mates pay there own flight, accommodation, food and beer. They also dont insist on 4 or 5 ***** accommodation and fancy resteraunts. They dont blow holes in the credit card while your running and insist on taxis everywhere.

Black eyes will clear up in a few days. Worse still is the wrath of the mother in law.

• Anyone signed up for Barcelona yet? Is there an active thread?
  • Go-XL I think Stockholm like most of Europe suffered from excess heat this year. Their website claims that the average temp for that time of year is around 18 degrees which sounds about right. Ryanair serve 2 airports which they called both Stockholm but are actually about an hour away by bus. Otherwise you can go to the main airport semi-cheaply using a snowflake! (Scandinavian Airlines cheap opition).Hotels are the main cost with Sweden but seeing as its the summer season they will be cheaper over here at that time - Swedes have to be different to the rest of the world.

Its on my list of races for next year. Let me know if you decide to run it and we can start up a thread.
  • A quick repeat for Llama Man....

Barcelona - March 14
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Taunton - April 4
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Leeds - May 9
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Lake Vyrnwy - June 6
    Dartmoor Vale - June 13
    Edinburgh - June 13

• Thanks M. That gives me plenty to go at. A lot have cheap flights. Rotterdam, Madrid, Prague, Stockholm all appeal. Madrid or Rotterdam might be the pick as it ties in well with the training events put on for FLM (20M races etc). Then again Barcelona sounds fabulous - oh decisions, decisions!

By the way there is no full marathon at Sheffield in 2004.
  • Thanks LM - and a correction of the date for Barcelona too.

Barcelona - March 21
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Taunton - April 4
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Leeds - May 9
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Lake Vyrnwy - June 6
    Dartmoor Vale - June 13
    Edinburgh - June 13

• LarsLars ✭✭✭
    M.,

what we need now is a link to the profile and course map to each marathon, how much the entry fee is, how to get there and how to find a good hotel, race reports from former runners at these events, ... ;-))