Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• No news from Nottingham yet? Everyone still alive?
  • I doubt it, they're all probably 3 sheets to the wind by now ?
    I know I would be! And your on, if I can get away I'll try to keep up with you?
  • Well done, TWU, great effort. Hopefully Nottingham has gone well and there will be some good reports over the next couple of days.

I've managed 21 miles this week including 9 in torrential rain on Friday night. It felt great!  Just going to try to up the mileage now at a nice slow pace for the next couple of months and get back from Oz in December fully prepared to start a schedule  focused on a Spring marathon. 

• GE, way to go fella, 9 nice! Compare that to 2 this morning with Mrs Philby imageAny ideas which marathon in Spring? I really need good VLM option when I get my reject email!!!
  • Thanks GE. Good to hear you are building up the mileage again.

Philby - I hear Edinburgh is a really well organised spring marathonimage. Seriously though, might do Edi again when I get my VLM rejection. WR is probably doing both.

• Phil, I'm also preparing for a VLM rejection. Logically I ought to go back to Edinburgh having missed it this year but they seem to have some major organisational problems and the seemingly guaranteed red hot weather also tells me I should look elsewhere.

I am thinking maybe Paris although I suspect it would be an expensive weekend. It does get some good reviews though.

• GE, I have been looking around tonight and Belfast looks a well organised event - am seriously considering this as an option, if the VLM appplication is rejected - I can get direct flight to Belfast from Inverness! WR what do you reckon???
  • Come back to Edinburgh... We're doing the half... figured its bound to be a fabulous day so get the running over and done with early on and then enjoy the sunshine outside a pub... Aaah bliss....

Well done TWU, you boast away hunny... we'll ignore the fact that you haven't done a week of gruelling exercise beforehand.

Sound like you're getting there with the running GE... image  Excellent...

Weekend was good, it was good to meet up with some of the Edi lot again... There was some mighty fine running done too, but I'll let them tell you about that... I finished in 2:32... so a new PW for me... two weeks & two PWs... Does life get any better???  I struggled with nerves really badly in the 1st couple of miles, didn't help that a girl tripped and nearly fell right at the side of me before we'd even got off the opening straight... Then because I was trying to change my running style to lift my feet more I ended up with my ankles hurting and my quads turning to jelly so I had to walk for a bit at 11 & 12miles.  I'm sure I read somewhere it was slightly undulating... SLIGHTY UNDULATING MY BUM!!!  That's like saying Ben Nevis is a bit of a hill... 

• Hello one and all - I made it through my stag weekend and just in post stag weekend recovery now. Feeling OK at the moment so may venture out for 3 or 4 tonight (miles not pints)

Just wanted to say thanks to those of you in Notts for looking after Jo in my absence (Fi, Caz, DT and the one and only Goldpig) I was really proud of her getting round but she is saying never again at the moment. She had a 2.26 something which was under her 2.30 target so she was happy with that on what was apparently a bit of a hilly one.

I hear rumour of a reunion at the Cardiff half in October 2011. Well you can count me in for that and if you all confirm soon enough I'lkl start trying to convince Jo that running is for life and not just one Sunday morning in Nottingham.

Thanks again everyone.

GoldEagle. If you listen to those that know then you really should do Paris. Goldpig and DT2 say it is up there with the very best of city marathons.

• You heard right Dave, Cardiff half in October next year and we're trying to find one early on in the year... I've suggested Silverstone in March as it looks about even mileage for most of us... well those that I have an idea of where they live...

Jo was telling us about your text messages through Saturday night and the one that woke her up was the one that said "Sh*t, sorry I forgot you was running in the morning"... LOL.  She did really well and it was a ridiculously hilly route...  Fi has assured us that Cardiff is basically flat so you might be able to tempt Jo with getting sub 2:20... I'd leave it until the aches have eased off a bit though...

• Well done to all those who have raced this weekend!!
  • Photo link  Can't think why GP isn't overtaking that girl in front...  image
  • Silverstone sounds good to me. Is it after London?
  • Boy that was hilly!! - and hot.  There were bits out in the full sun away from any shade that were reminiscent of Edi.  Enjoyed the course though - would NOT like to do the full though.  Still haven't gone sub 2 image (leaving that little task for you Phil!) - but all things considered I am pretty happy.  Shaved another couple of minutes off Bristol so a new PB of 2.00.56.  Caz you forgot to mention the fact that the course was measuring on all of our Garmins at 13.26 miles - so technically Dave, Jo has run more than a half. image

It was great to meet up with some of you guys again.  And reunions being mentioned already.  Cardiff being one in October 2011.  Decisions to be made on the other.  Silverstone? - or Reading? - or others on a postcard. image

image - lol at that photo Caz.  I wonder whether that's the girl GP said had pooped her shorts?!!  Yuk!image

Well done TWU.  Sounds a good run.  And GE - so glad your injury woes seem to be over.

Caz - know you were disappointed with your time - but try not to be.  You were brilliant to even put yourself through it.  Most people wouldn't have bothered.  That's a nasty injury on your knee so well done you - **big hugs**.  image

Oh well.  Off to cook some food and then gonna crash.  Absolutely shattered.image xx

Oops - nearly forgot to say - nice new profile pic Philby. image

• Silverstone is before London but I have to say it bored me to death when I did it in 2004. On the plus side it is pretty flat and well organised.

• Well its nice to know that this thread is still plodding on and you guys are still doing well. TWU...well done with your race and GE...nice to see the running is healthy.

Just had a quick look back as i was informed that Philby had cracked the sub 4......a big well done mate, well deserved.image

Had a great weekend in nottingham with some of the edi crew and i feel my mojo coming back. Finished the half in 2.14 which i am very pleased with as my training was next to none. I did hold back a little as i had entered the full and my bib showed this. The last thing i wanted was to run into the finishing area and the chappy on the microphone reading out my number and thinking a new world record had just been set.image

Well done to Caz & Mr Caz, Fiona, Jo, Darren & Laura, you all did well and it was a great day. Also thanks to our kit man & photographer......Sean  image

Dave....Jo did brilliant on her 1st half and i know what you mean about a beetroot face. At one point, i thought my eyes were playing up.imageimageimage

Caz...great photo, can you see the concentration on my face. Fiona....she wasnt the lady who pooped her pants.

So while i am in the mood.........wheres next????

• R Dave, glad you survived the stag weekend intact, sounds like Jo did really well considering what sounded like a tough course, please pass on my congratulations, hopefully she will get the running bug image There's a lot of it about these days!! Cardiff next year sounds a cert, so count me in.

Caz, classic photo of GP!, I wonder why he looks like he is concentrating so hard??? There's life in the old dog yet image Only kidding GP, mind you if I had been right where you were, I don't think I would have been in a hurry to get past image

Caz, that was an excellent performance considering:

a. the state of your Knee
    b. The course sounded quite hilly
    c. It was bloody warm again!

So ignore the time, pat yourselff on the back for even trying, many people would have just pointed to their knee and muttered something like

"I would have run this today, but I took a mighty fall last week and the old knee is buggered"

Anyway, well done girl, your an absolute trooper, we could do with your spirit an determination in the armed forces - fancy a job???

Fiona, well done kid, you are definitely going to smash 2 hrs in Cardiff, and by the sounds of it I will be keeping up with you. As long as your turn up fit and raring to go we are going to smash it out of the park - you watch!! image

GP, awesome effort mate, as for next, well for me its Cardiff on Oct 17, then if I get as I fully expect a VLM reject, it is either going to be Belfast or Edinburgh, not sure which, very very tempted to do the half in Edinburgh, but am considering the Full in Belfast?? You know what though, what a bloody privilege to be fit and healthy enough to be considering these as a dilemma! How many poor buggers have so many problems that exercise is not even a consideration - I feel genuinely blessed to be 46 and beside a slight thyroid problem as fir and healthy as I was in my teenage years if not fitter image

Well done all, oops nearly forgot DT, don't know what your time was but it was probably inhumanely fast image

I am off to see Toby tomorrow for 5 glorious days in Cardiff, can't bloody wait. It's a pity I can't put a pic of him on the thread - he is bloody gorgeous!! Not unlike his Gramps image
  • Last post was a bit in haste at work. Now I've had time to read a bit.....

Well done to all the Nottingham bunch. So pleased that everyone got round and great to hear that the camaraderie carries on.Great photo of GP!

Silverstone is a bit of a novelty as you run 2 laps of the racing circuit but the rest is on interior and exterior roads and I found it a bit soul destroying being able to see people a couple of miles ahead. Perhaps it's just me. The other downside (sorry if this appears totally negative) is that it's a bit in the middle of nowhere so  the post-race celebrations may be a problem.

Reading may be an alternative but I haven't done it so don't know anything about it really. 

• Evening all, we'll i thought i'd best pop in and check everyones ok? was great seeing most of you again, firstly big apologies for my explanation of the course as being 'fairly flat with just a couple of hills' lie lies lies! i swear they must have planned that route with the mentality of 'i wonder what the hilliest route through notts possible is!? so yeah, it WAS a tough course and everyone did pretty damn well considering, esp super Caz, whom i am i am now officially handing over my 'super' title to! image

GP, that picture creased me up! shes exactly as i imagined her from your description in the boozer! im so glad i never get stuck behind her, i'd have been the last person home for sure!

Dave, massive congrats to Jo, that was a toughie for a 1st race, just gotta convince her if she can handle that, anything else will be a plain sailing in comparison!

Fi, Cardiff had better watch out, sub 2hrs with ease! will def be there myself next year.

GE, Paris all the way mate, i can't big that race up enough! actually decided to enter the missus as a suprise treat as a congrats for her effort this sun (1:57hrs) so i'll be there suporting the RW crew on along with GP.

Race for me was tough, but enjoyable, decided before that i was in no condition to 'race' it, but would just go at a fair clip but not push it, ankle/achillies strapped up, a bunch of painkillers before the start and i was ready: 1st 6miles went at just under 6m/m, despite getting caught out by the hills! then i did a Caz and clipped a pothole which jarred my ankle, which gave me a healthy reminder that i am actually still injured & not invincible, so slowed down some park section was in turn uphill/downhill, windy/hot, what a combo! started feeling it up until we excited the park, 2nd wind kicked in then as i knew the hills were over! decided to pick it up in the last 3 miles and managed a half decent final 400m sprint. felt like i had plenty in the tank when i finished so looking good for next couple of races. 1:22:04hrs, achillies/ankle was stiff as hell this morning but starting to ease up now. run to the beat half in 2weeks, fingers crossed sub 1:20hrs there which is my target for the year.

as for next year/meet up, im already pencilled in for Reading which i spectated at last year and looks pretty flat/fast. more than happy to do silverstone aswell though if everyones there? right, thats my update done! i felt inspired to buy a massive carrot cake today, im now going back for more (already halfway through it!) image

• I was told off by Jo on Sunday for not putting the Edinburgh pictures on Facebook so I have done it tonight.

Those of you who are my real friends can see them now. Those that aren't, WHY NOTimage

only kidding image

• Well done DT2. Just a quick question that I can't work out. If your Darran Tanner 2 then how fast is the original Darren Tanner
  • Ha ha! I know feel like i need to find out! you'll also noticed that ive shortened my name on here to DT2, thats my new go faster name! image

just noticed your tag on the Edi photos, the load of you on the home straight, took me straight back there! i feel you pain!

• So, perhaps, I could do the half at Silverstone or Reading, then Paris, then the half at Edinburgh......??
  • image Yep, you could do that GE... Get them booked... well the Paris & Edinburgh ones anyhoo... hold off on the Reading or Silverstone until we've had a vote.

Dave you have a clone... If you go over to the nutty Karen Saumels October/Octobre races thread in Events you're there in a blue top.

Awww you lot say the nicest things, I feel terrible cos I just wound myself back into my shell I was feeling so deflated afterwards and was pap company in the pub.  I'm sorry. image

• Well done everyone at Nottingham sounds like I missed a good weekend.

Phil Belfast is not well organised at all, water from standpipes, no powerade till mile 16 and then in tiny plastic cups. They say its well organised but its a fecking shambles, its basically a big relay with some people running the full thing. On saying that i'll probably run it next year.

Anyway I ran 10 metres on sunday before pain stopped me. A trip to the physio yesterday reveals that I have a tear in my glutes, a tear in my right hamstring, bruising around my right ankle, nerve damage on my right hip and swelling and possibly still bleeding there. The prognosis is no running for 6 - 8 weeks rest, elevation and taking it easy.

Am just a tad pissed off but will hopefully get some mountain biking in shortly and see how that goes.

Palma marathon will now be spent will san miguel!

Good luck WR

• Bloomy Oomy WR, no wonder the pain stopped you.  Pay attention to that physio and take it easy.  There are always other races but there's only one WR... I really should listen to my own advice... image  OK, new rule... do as I say not as I do... image
  • WR, sorry to hear your injured, all you can do us rest fella! As for Palma, bugger but San Miguel is no disaster image

As for Belfast, I will strike that one off then, looks like Edinburgh for 2011!

Caz, your far too hard on yourself, we are always our own worst critics, your a little fighter madam and would be happy to fight alongside you in the trenches anyday image
  • Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! - is there any bit of your body that is not hurting WR?  As Caz says - no wonder the running was painful.  Real shame about Palma but at least you still get to enjoy a nice weekend away with Mrs WR (& San Miguel!) - and hopefully the weather will be nice and warm to ease those aches and pains. imageimage

Caz - how's your legs after the weekend?  Has the run made it worse then? And - 'saying the nicest things' - all 100% true. You did brill. Every race is an achievement - for numerous reasons. image

Edi photos are good.  Brings back sooooo many fab memories.  Mind you - some of those facial expressions Dave?! - if that's the pain you have to go through to run fast I think I will stay at tortoise speed. image

DT - you may have taken some stick over the course profile imageimage - but your pub choice was very good.

Talking of pressies - Paris and Laura - I have signed Shaun up to one of the Hellrunner series in Feb next year.  He doesn't know yet - his birthday is tomorrow.  Wonder what the reaction will be?  I've wanted to do an off road, muddy trial type race so look out - Hell in the Middle here we come. Anyone gonna join us? image image

• Knee is healing nicely, the scab is looking more regular scab like and less image every day... My right thigh & hip ache more than normal but I think that was down to over compensating for my knee... also doesn't help that I cant do a quad stretch unless anyone can think of one that doesn't involve basically touching your bum with your foot.

Erm I think I'll leave you to play in the mud on your own there hunny...  And you DO NOT run at tortoise speed young lady... according to your official photos you do metamorphose into somebody else mid run but you're definitely not a tortoise, not by a long shot.

• Cheers guys, hoping my enforced rest means I can come back stronger. Phil if you want a run over here what about the Mourne Way Ultra next June (11th), back to back marathons on trails, i'm considering this and trying to get my head around the training involved but I certainly prefer trail running over road running - what do you say 52.4 miles should be no problem to you!!

Fiona i'm sure Phil will pace you round Cardiff to sub-2

Caz you take it easy as well!!

Good luck WR