Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• WR, really tough luck about Palma but as has been said, at least you can enjoy the late autumn sunshine and a few beers.

Caz, I've fallen over myself a couple of times in the last 2 years, each time I think because I tend not to lift my left foot very high off the ground. I know it does dent the confidence for a bit and you tend to overcompensate but eventually I've managed to relax and get back to normal running.

• Gutted for you WR but try and take the positives if you can. the break will do your body good and will allow you to regroup and come back stronger. DT2 is proving that at the minute.

Glad you all liked the photo's. If you look at the ones of me on the home straight and really really zoom in then you can see Super Tanner going past the power station.imageimageimage

Sorry DT2, couldn't resist making myself feel better about my lack of running lately.

Right, going to look for my clone and to kill them off image

• aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh. That clone is just scary - The eyes are just not real and neither are the breasts
  • Mr CS has suggested the England Kilomathon (26.2km) for an early year meet up... Nottingham in March...

Obviously a poor imitation of you Dave... Shall we all go and glare at them???

• Kilomathon sounds good, especially for those who are doing an April/May marathon, also for those who aren't but want a new challenge
  • hey hey hey! whats all this about then RDave!? thats fighting talk that is! as weve already concluded i was to be saving the day to get involved in this racing lark, i'll save that for London! image and lets just hope youve got a better race face for the finish of this one as i'll be stood at the finish line camera in hand waiting for you! image
  • Ding...Ding......Round 1

Dave...no hitting below the belt

DT....no groping those large breasts.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPGGjVk2vk

registration opens tomorrow if you fancy it.......go on you know you wanna.

• Looks good, got a lot on next year so maybe 2012!!
  • GP, ive decided to sign Laura up for Paris 1st thing tommorow, so we'll def be there! not so sure how grateful she'll be when she gets to mile 20 though! image talking of the missus, shes just realised that she actually went to uni with Mo Farrah! her university description of him was 'the skinny black guy in halls that runs a bit! clearly she wasnt a runner at the time!

this weekend has def got my running mojo back again! cant wait for this achillies to clear up so i can go again! less than 2wks to Run to the beat......and i cant wait!

• Well done everyone on Robin Hood. Sounds like you had a great time during and after image

Would be up for kilomathon as hopefully in London if my knee is ok. All very up in the air until Friday as did go for a little 2 miler last night and knee was sore going up and down stairs at home but is ok today. Can't believe how unfit I am though image.

Hoping to get out on my bike next week as it needs to get to Halfords for it's 6 week check which is 3 weeks overdue image

• DT.....You spoiling the missus again, you old romantic.image Great to know you will be over there and yes those 20m runs will no doubt be well appreciated from Laura.

AS...know what you mean about being unfit, ive just been to club and it was 4x800 & 4x400 which was defo not for me and stuck with the 4s half way through. I was running over 10secs slower per lap than i was 6 weeks ago. Dont think my  2 mates mr lambert & mr butler help. image 

• Hi Beavis, how's it going?

The kilomathon sounds like a good idea. When is it exactly?

Think I'm going to register for Paris tomorrow. 

• That was really lazy of me so I've answered my own question. It's 20 March and registration is open.
  • LOL GE. I'll be up for kilomathon if anyone else is in.

It looks like poking Tanner with a sharp stick is going to backfire on me come London 2011.

I decided today that I need to start and focus now. Have put on a 10lbs since Berlin last year and having 2 KFC's today has not helped. So I'm getting serious tomorrow and going to do a 10 mile recce of the Sheffield Way Relay that I am running in this Sunday for the club's 'A' Team.

Can anyone think what the 'A' stands for?
  • R Dave, you could put a couple of stone on fella and you would still take the michael with ease over any bloody distance image

AS, small steps kid, no point in overdoing it and setting yourself back, just ease back into it and remember that it's meant to be for enjoyment as well!

Fi, you are a b****y sadist, signing Shaun up for that, I would love to see his expression on unwrapping that pressy image

WR, that ultra in Jun, I doubt it fella, if I do the VLM and or Edinburgh I will probaly need to sleep the month of June !!!

CARROT CAKE UPDATE - Haha, she be gone my hearties, only problem now is Jill baked 100 odd Welsh cakes to bring to Laura in Cardiff and the only thing I love more than carrot cake is b****y Welsh cakes - at this rate I will need to double the amount of training as there will be effectively 2 of me running - don't worry Fi, I am out first thing in the morning for an 8 miler!!!
  • i reckon it stands for A'aahhhhh i luuuuurve chicken! 2 kfcs in one day!? go on son! fried chicken is my biggest temptation, its taken me years of hard work to get over my addicition with the stuff, even now i just have to take it one day at a time! careful not to go straight back in to hard mate, last thing you want is to be joining me on this injury bench, ive been on here so much ive practically got my own place saved!

if your looking at shedding weight, or in fact if anyone is on here, 2 great purchases ive made recently a set of full body fat/BMI scales (£30 argos) and 'racing weight' by Matt Fitzgerald (£6 amazon) books all about getting to your optimal race weight/body fat percentage, det etc. pretty solid advice. warning though, theres no recomendations in there for full weekends on the sauce, carrot cake of KFC's!

• Phil, are you at Lossie - had a Tornado with an emergency heading back there yesterday.

GE - how's the new job going?

• WR, I was last year but moved to Kinloss March, are you a controller??
  • WR, the new job is good, thanks. After starting on a temporary basis, it's looks as though there may be something permanent and they're relaxed about me disappearing to Oz for 3 weeks in December. Almost back into the old routine.

One of the guys here is running Berlin in a couple of weeks so we have plenty to talk about (at lunchtimes, of course!).

• image - took me a while to figure what you two were on about then. Lol. - Lossie - tornado - emergency - totally confused me.

GE glad to hear the job is going well and the possibility of perm - great stuff. image

Phil - absolutely with you on the Welsh Cake front. Yummmy! image - how funny would that be if on the 17th I'm saying 'come on Phil you're slacking!' ....................................... sooooo not going to happen but we can dream.

Well Shaun was busy looking on the Hellrunners website this morning when I got downstairs.  He seems quite up for it - even planning our training runs.  To be honest he has put doubts in my head - think I may have underestimated how hard it is going to be. image  I said - it's only between 10-12 miles - but he reckons with the terrain it will feel more like a blooming marathon. Eeeekkkk! image  Oh well - nothing ventured nothing gained.  I think it will be a bit of a giggle. And the pics should be interesting.

GP - you need to change your mates - they are no good for you. image  And Mr KFC is no good for you Dave - 2 in one day? - shocking. imageimage

AS - take it easy.  Knee will probably be a bit sore for the first few sessions - just don't rush things.

• DT2, sounds like a good book will take a look at it later on. Pity about the embargo on carrot cake and Welsh cakes image

Fi, that run sounds like hell, but as you say nothing ventured and all that, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Went out for my first proper run post Moray, did 8.5 miles at 8:04 m/m which is not bad considering the extra 2 kgs and the rubbish diet over the last week. Will be doing alternate 8 and 5 for this week in sunny Cardiff image Btw I have no idea what sort of running I should be doing for a half ;( any suggestions.

GP, I agree with Fi, ditch those so called mates your life will change massively.
  • R Dave wrote (see)

So I'm getting serious tomorrow and going to do a 10 mile recce of the Sheffield Way Relay that I am running in this Sunday for the club's 'A' Team.

Can anyone think what the 'A' stands for?

Alcoholics??? image

That's good news about the job GE.. am not jealous about 3 weeks in Oz.. oh no, not me... image

That extra 2kg will drop off dead easy Philby, when it goes on that quick it tends to fall back off quite quick once you get back into a normal routine... it's those pesky pounds that creep on slowly that are a beggar to get rid of.

Well I went to the gym last night for a little leg loosener and one of the instuctors we talk to quite a bit was bored so he decided he'd give us a free spot of personal training... OMG my arms & shoulders!!!  On the lat pulldown machine he set the weight to 45kg I nearly had to resort to hanging off the bar to get the weight to move so he reduced it a bit for me, then reduced it some more as I could still only get it to move by using all of my body weight... Oh I'm pathetically weak some times...  We've decided we'll focus on cardio tonight LOL.

Happy Birthday to Shaun. image

So hands up who's interested in the Kilomathon... Nottingham-Derby in March, perfect training for those doing London ... I'm fairly certain Angie is doing it as its in her neck of the woods.  *waves hand in the air*  I'm doing the Scotland one in a couple of weeks... it goes across the Forth Road Bridge... do hope I don't get blown away. image

• Apart from the fact I can't say the word, I'd be quite keen and it's fairly local.

Have just entered Paris for 11 April so in the unlikely event that I get into London I'll have marathons on successive weekends........image.

• yep, it'd do for me aswell, def a good race as prep for london/paris.

GE well done mate, you know it makes sense! going to sign the missus up when i get home. so thats 3 of us from here off to Paris, anyone else tempted? you will have the pleasure of some seriously awesome cheerleading courtesy of yours truly! ive already warned the missus to be prepared to disown me if she gets embarassed by the noise/scene im going to make when she runs by!

• Yep me too, a nice meet up in march will do nicely.

Just registered for Paris, green bib = sub 4. GE...good luck with 2 consecutive maras and good to see you in paris with DT as a cheerleader. Now lets toss a coin whos borrowing his white socks for the day.image

• DT2, good to see your achilles is improving, obviously ankles are delicate buggers so slow when you start again!

Kilo thingy sounds like it is indeed a good training run foe either VLM or Edinburgh, so I'm in!

GE, what are the chances??? However if push came to shove and you had to drop one which do you think would get the axe?

GP, well done on registering for Paris, sounds like an excellent marathon, maybe 2011 for me?

PS, Happy Birthday Shaun, 21 again fella image
  • philby123 wrote (see)
    Btw I have no idea what sort of running I should be doing for a half ;( any suggestions.

One massive suggestion - SLOW DOWN!  Lol.  image  Seriously - 8.04 m/m - image - are you sure you don't want to run this on your own?  At that speed I wouldn't just break my PB and get sub 2 - I would smash it - and then promptly keel over and die.

Wouldn't think you need to change anything in your training.  I'm gonna do a few interval sessions - Ssea 10k end of Sept - and a few longer runs (over 13) just to reaffirm in my brain that I can do the mileage.  Only additional training for you is to get practising your motivational speech whlist running and kicking me up the bum when I start to wimper pathetically at mile 7,8,9 and 10. image

Kilomathon sounds good but I am going to have to check it out with Bday boy before I commit.  All this travelling around for races is getting expensive.  Lots of sweet talking and cwtching is called me thinks. imageimage

Caz - if the wind is blowing like it has down here today when you go over the forth road bridge I think you'd better put some weights in your pockets - or tie yourself to Mr CS.  Wouldn't want to lose you over the side. imageimage  

• Fi, don't worry I fooled my body today after not having done any running for a week, I can guarantee tomorrows 5 miler will not be as fast, and I am running this for 3 reasons:

1. Cos as I have been reminded several times I am a half marathon virgin ;(
    2. I would love to see you get this monkey off your back for once and for all
    3. And of course the real reason! Any excuse to be in Cardiff to see my fantastic Grandson image

So, my time is truly irrelevant!!!

Btw, I will put a couple of plus 13 milers in as you suggest.

As for your comment on the cost of all this running malarkey, yup definitely true, however I often think that when you commit to something else, you make the savings elsewhere - if you stay at home and manage to be disciplined to remain within budget, more power to your elbow, must admit it seldom works for me. Never going to be wealthy, but never really interested me tbh, quality of life is all that matters and its alll so subjective - haha sermon over.

What a great day today has been Toby is laughing like an idiot and life is sweet image

• GE, I'm doing well thanks mate good to hear about your new job, i'm happily getting right back into running after the summer, they say a rest is as good as a change.

I'm doing the kilomathon, will be entering as, hopefully, a pre VLM run but i'll probably be running it as a spring half with a couple of extra miles and i love point to point races.