Running tights etiquette

What are peoples general thoughts on running tights? I happen to like them, they are comfy, stop chaffing, and keep my legs nice and warm.  

But my 5 year old son told me I look like a girl and I do get the odd funny look when I'm wearing them!

So are they generally accepted? Do you wear shorts over the top or not? Can you wear them when it's not that cold for the comfort? I'd love to hear other runners thoughts.

thanks

Comments

• Who gives a crap if they are "accepted" or what they look like, if you want to wear them, wear them.

I've worn tights in races before, and alot in training, I really couldn't care less what they look like, if you are worried about steven and the twins being on show, wear shorts over them.

• From a girlie point of view (not literally!), please don't wear shorts over them. I think that looks awful. Running tights on a man are fine IMO. Certainly no worse than on a woman.
  • +1 with dano

there is absolutely no reason to wear anything over the tights

what's wrong with blokes these days?? do they have to worry about the possibility that someone might catch a look at the bulge in the tights or get called a girl?? well, guess what - all blokes have said bulges much like women have tits and I'm damn sure looking at the amount of flesh on show, that most women aren't worried about their tits being seen.

ffs - man up and stop worrying about it.

anyway - it's too warm for tights unless it's sub-zero so be a man and just wear shorts even if it is a bit cold.
  • Matthew Thompson 6 wrote (see)

What are peoples general thoughts on running tights? I happen to like them, they are comfy, stop chaffing, and keep my legs nice and warm.  

But my 5 year old son told me I look like a girl and I do get the odd funny look when I'm wearing them!

So are they generally accepted? Do you wear shorts over the top or not? Can you wear them when it's not that cold for the comfort? I'd love to hear other runners thoughts.

thanks

awww bless, is he calling you names too?

+1 on Dano and FB

Take heed from the Marathon ('Snickers') advert...........get some nuts

• Dan - proper LOL at 'Steven and the twins'
  • Points taken, even the sarcastic ones (Nick L)

• Your son is right. Tights only make you look like Max Wall.

If you must wear something long on the legs in the darkest depths of winter, then Ron Hill tracksters are the only answer that are not effeminate or wussy.

If you're a real hairy-chested rufty-tufty chap like me, all you need is skimpy shorts and a good slathering of whale blubber.

• glad to be of service.

Agree with muttley on the ron hills, they are less tight.....but they always make me think that i should be a PE teacher from the 70s or 80s.

Get some half-tights (i.e. cycling shorts length) ones for the warm...you get the chaff prevention and comfort.

• I wear tights in the winter and even for races if its cold enough. That said I do get a few odd looks but personally I really don't care. If they feel good to run in then go for it and if anyone is offended by the sight of your bulge, then they probably shouldn't be looking anyway!

As for shorts, IMO only superheroes should wear anything over their tights image

• or you could wear shorts and long compression socks....
  • CHAFING, and CHAFE

There is only one 'F' in chafe.

And you should wear whatever you like (but please don't put shorts over your tights - it makes you look insecure).

How much advice from five-year-olds would you normally pay attention to?

• Repeat after me:

"Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"
    "Lycra is underwear"

• CHAFING, and CHAFE

There is only one 'F' in chafe.

It may only be one F'in chafe but it doesn't half f'in hurt! image

• Tights rock! Shows we are proper men and doing what we like not thinking about what we look like. Not that it applies to me as I have a massive.... image
  • Mrs RWMS has just got me some more tights for my birthday (not often you'll hear that off a 41yo man in publicimage) and I have no qualms in wearing them - although I'm not sure what this 'bulge' is that you are all going on about imageimageimage

(PS I have Ron Hils tooimageimage )

• The bulge is entirely dependent on the temperature, if its cold, its not there!!
  • My fairy godmother once asked me if I wanted a huge bulge or a good memory.

I can't remember what my reply was.

• "If you must wear something long on the legs in the darkest depths of winter, then Ron Hill tracksters are the only answer that are not effeminate or wussy."

when are you going to drag yourself screaming and kicking into the 21st Century? give up with the shite tracksters and leave them to the pipe smokers and flat cap wearers - get yourself some lycra tights for those days when you need to embrace your feminine side... image
  • I purchased some today from t'interweb, cost about a tenner if I recall, .

I live in Poland, and it has already started getting cold in the evenings, so thought it best to be prepared. I thought i'd try them out and if I like them maybe buy some more expensive ones.

Frankly I couldn't give a monkeys what I look like when I am out running, and I can't understand why anyone would care?

I look fantastic for the other 23 hours a day mind
  • Skinn102 - I agree! I've seen women in full make-up at races. I stare at them completely bewildered, why do you want all that crap on your face when within ten minutes of running you'll sweat it off? The idea of mascara clagging up my lashes while I wiping my face fills me with horror.
  • God, I have the same problem - I can't get a mascara that won't run!! Oh s**t, wrong forumimage
  • Who cares if they are accepted or not. Up to you what makes you comfortable when you are running.

My four kids fell off the sofa laughing when I first put on my triathlon suit. My daughter was aghast when I told her I'd done a session in it round our town after a swim (she goes to the same school I teach in)!

Personally I hate running with anything on my legs, so although I own some tights I only use them for cycling or warming up in.

• How many more justifactions do you want to have given yourself in your own question? They stop chafing (which apparently only has one f!!), they are comfortable and they keep you warm so whats your issue?!

I wear cycling shorts (under normal shorts) in summer and tights in winter - just get a long T shirt that hangs over them a bit more, or better still a jacket that hangs over..... personally I think that looks pretty cool on runners that i've passed in the street! But i'm one more for not wearing shorts over them, that just looks crap!

I've got a pair of tracksters too but they are just wrong in so many ways that I don't wear them!

p.s I remember the first time someone commented about my tights, they told me I looked like Billy Elliot - but who cares, I still wear mine!!

• tell me 44 - why do you feel you need to have a long T or jacket hanging down to cover the nether regions?? are you embarrased that someone might see something that all blokes have (bar a few genetic cases)?? and why the normal shorts over cycle shorts - same issue??

I seriously do not get what the problem is here - we have a cock and a pair of balls. all females over an innocent age know that. we know they have a vagina and tits. so where's the problem??

do we live in the 21st century or do people still live in the victorian era??

could someone please give me a rational reason why they feel they need to cover up?? I really really really don't get it.
  • There's nowt wrong with my Ron Hills. I have customized them just a little bit though. This is me at a recent half.

http://purefnevyl.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hairy-assless-chaps.jpg

But triathlon suits, like all-in-one rowing outfits, are just plain wrong.
  • FB, has anyone ever told you that you have a real way words, you make such topics sound so elegant!

I wear cycling shorts under my shorts in summer because of a groin injury (and subsequent operation) so they help support the tendons I ruptured. If it weren't for that injury then I probably wouldn't wear cycling shorts under my normal shorts..... but my cycling shorts are white, and therefore see through and therefore look less dodgy with shorts over them!

As for the jacket / tshirt comment, I prefer having that on to cover my arse, not the front. And before you start off on that one too thats because i find it gets cold when i'm running if it aint covered so I cover it with a jacket!!

Maybe you could start a naked running club or somethin image
  • "But triathlon suits, like all-in-one rowing outfits, are just plain wrong." - unless you are doing a triathlon, in which case they are a truly practical bit of kit.

Personally would always choose a pair on Ron Hill tracksters over a pair of tights every time. Apart from anything else they show you are a "real runner", especially if they are the navy ones with red piping coupled with a Helly top.
  • I wear skins, as does my husband even if it's warm.  I don't care if he looks like Linford Christie at the front, though I know he's a little self concious but we've both noticed how much better our muscles feel  for wearing them.

• fair enough 44 - you are excused! but why not running lycra shorts instead of cycle shorts - they'll be a damn sight more comfy without the pad

and muttley - re: tri suits - what EC says. it's form and function that counts, not what it might look like. I honestly think that us triathletes are probably the least conscious people I know when it comes to what people may think about what we wear. we know why we wear it and we don't give a hoot what people think we look like or what they might see.

although, granted, white lycra tri kit is not a good sight - it might reflect sunshine and keep heat at bay but seriously, it doesn't look good even on ripped bodies. and in the case of - shall we say "rectal issues" - it hides nothing.

I still need an answer to my cover up question though