Serious winter warmth, especially for extremities

Am thinking more hands/fingers/feet really plus waterproofing.

The base layer type stuff I am OK with but one pair of gloves is simply not enough yet two is too bulky.

Neoprene overshoes are mostly OK but is there a "super duper" version  

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    never found an answer to numb hands and feet myself. I've tried various gloves and overshoes too. I think I've read that folks have put plastic bags over their socks and then put their cycling shoes on top and it works ok, might have to try it myself.
  • a decent pair of winter gloves - try ski gloves (less bulky ones or Goretex) as you don't need the padded palms. mitten gloves are also good as they keep the fingers together and warm but are a pain when you need dexterity

feet - sealskinz socks or some neoprene swim socks under the neoprene overs. you get a double wind/waterproof layer then. Petal says popsocks - yes they are ladies kit but she says they are the best feetwarmers around

and cycle faster and HTFU - we all get cold, live with it
  • Same as with the rest of your body - layer up.     Two pairs of overshoes will keep your feet a lot warmer than a single pair - if it doesn't then get some winter cycling boots and then put overshoes over the top.  Same sort of thing for your hands - get some thin running gloves or some motorcycle glove liners and put your normal cycling gloves on top.   

Or do what FB suggests and get some ski gloves or similar - don't have to be bike specific.  

• Rummaging through the ski stuff, looks good so far. Will rummage more tomorrow
  • What FB says... ski gloves.  I use a cheap pair from Mountain Warehouse, or somewhere similar.
  • I use Sealskinz with a pair of merino wool socks underneath, then neoprene overshoes...I really suffer with cold feet and this is the best combination I have found...
  • image LOL @ DDDD

Another vote for Sealskinz socks and neoprene overshoes to keep your toes toasty. Have yet to find a similar solution for my hands. 

• Ratbag wrote (see)
    I use Sealskinz with a pair of merino wool socks underneath, then neoprene overshoes...I really suffer with cold feet and this is the best combination I have found...
    2 pairs of neoprene overshoes plus the merino socks will be warmer - honestly I can't say how much warmer two pairs is than one. 
  • Concur with the chaps on layering socks.  I use thin silk thermal socks as a base layer you can buy them from ski shops (must be my version of the popsocks) and then follow up with seal skins.  Then overshoes.

Though for my hands I've never needed anything any warmer than winter bike gloves, last winter mine were the Altura ones and they were toasty.

For the body, I do offer myself the luxury of good winter bibtights from Assos and for the top half I always wear a merino base layer.

• I've found that the most effective kit for keeping warm on the bike in winter is a 'turbo trainer' ;o)
  • Dubai Dave DD wrote (see)
    Emigrate
    +1 one for that, but think Mrs Dustboy has burned his passport image
  • Neoprene gloves are ace - I use these ones from Mavic, but these from spesh are recommended by my LBS. I've had no dexterity problems with them at all, and rode down to -7 last year with no problems. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

thats a few votes for the Sealskinz, I'll give them a try - they're not cheap though !

• Put some deep heat on your feet and hands before you put gloves on and socks , works a treat !
  • I always get cold feet after 3-4 hours, have tried everything, seal skins work best for me with neoprene overshoes. I sometimes put a spare pair of gloves in my pocket as they got cold and wet from sweating. I also wear a turtle neck in really cold weather, keeps the chill of the face.

You get used to the cold after a while though! So get out and toughen up!

You get used
  • Dubai Dave DD wrote (see)
    Emigrate
    Jusy don't emigrate to bloody Kuwait....it's a sh*t hole and I can't wait to get home....
  • I've got sealskins sitting in a drawer, thought they were pants.

WRT overshoes, neoprene soon absorb a shed laod of water but covered with a thin fleece lined waterproof overshoe and possibly yet more toe warmers, then two pairs of socks and you'll make it through a bad one - just!

For the hands, the best thing I've found is a pair of lightweight waterproof mits that cover you're gloves when wet. Water and wind proof they let you're gloves do the job without getting water logged.

Also be wary of ski gloves with annoying liners, nothing worse than having a pee stop then not being able to get your fkn gloves back on again. Someone told me about mtn climbing gloves but not tried them.

• The main thing is to realise there is no reason to suffer cold hands or feet even in sub zero temperatures - it's the old one about never being bad weather just unsuitable clothing.   A lot of people understandably start looking at cycling specific gloves and in my experience they are massively overpriced and generally aren't made for really cold weather without sticking another pair of thinner gloves either underneath or over the top.   I have painful memories of one ride when I was fairly new to cycling where I was seriously considering weeing on my hands just to warm them up such was the pain - I didn't though ! 

For gloves if people ride motorbikes for hours in winter where the windchill is so much greater you shouldn't have a problem coping with the cold on a bike.   Same for the feet - the problem is when people think a pair of summer road shoes designed to be well ventilated will be OK so long as they stick one pair of overshoes over the top.   

• when i've been out i the cold and wet and my hands have started to suffer ... i've poped into a petrol station took a pair of the plastic gloves (next to the diesil pump) and put them under my sogging wet nomal gloves ...

.. works a treet for a tempory fiix

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    When it gets cold I use Sugoi Firewall Z gloves - anything made by a Canadian company gives me a bit of confidence that they will work in proper cold conditions (and they do).  Style takes a bit of getting used to and only use them for commuting not road biking but I love 'em.
  • Well, I ttok the plunge & went for some Sealskinz socks & gloves. Tried them out today in 3 hours of rain and no problems apart from dreadful hotspotting on the feet but that is probably the shoes wearing out.

I thinkj the gloves will struggle when the temperature drops though and they transmit the buzz from the bars a lot worse. But pleased for the moment. And the socks really are waterproof!