Talkback: Operation: Improve Your Running

infantry is 10.30 1.5 miles and parachute regiment run time 9.18 or below for 1.5 miles

Comments

• The 1.5 miles had to be completed in 10mins 30 secs or less for for all male soldiers under 30 regardless which regiment or corps, has this changed? 14 mins for 1.5 miles is little more than jogging!

• "Cross-training [...] increases your cardio fitness. This means when your legs become tired during a race, your cardio training will kick in and take over."

Brilliant!

• for infantry its 10.30 for 1.5miles slower times for other corps like tank regiment,signals and other arms.i did a pft last year so i do know.
  • I'm pretty sure the time limit for all arms is still 10.30 for trained soldiers under 30, the times are then graduated depending on age and gender, regardless of the cap badge you wear.

The 14 mins maybe a recruit basic training requirement which i still think is jogging and not much of a test.

• "Cross-training [...] increases your cardio fitness. This means when your legs become tired during a race, your cardio training will kick in and take over."

Laughable!

I get the impression some people in the British military seem to think they are physically more capable than the rest of us. 10.30 for a mile and a half is not quick!

• NeedForSpeed wrote (see)
    I get the impression some people in the British military seem to think they are physically more capable than the rest of us. 10.30 for a mile and a half is not quick!

10:30 does seem very slow considering the target demographic.

At least the cross training advice has shown that although you don't have to be fit to join the military it helps to have a sense of humour.

• The basic military fitness test is in 2 parts.  The first part is a 1.5 mile squaded run in 15 mins, followed immediately by 1.5 miles in under 10.5 mins.  The time for the second part changes depending on age after 40 years of age.  There are no different times for different units - hence the word basic in the title.
  • try being a royal marine commando and yomping 30 miles over harsh dartmoor terrain with 25kg  on your back in 8 hours or doing the other commando test when physical knackered.being in the army is more about fighting with and carry heavy loads of kit than being a little racing snakes.most runners with a tiny frame would find that difficult.but like ive been trying to say when i joined the army before basic to get in to the paras i needed a 9.18 1.5 mile time but i missed out by 10 seconds so didnt get it.i think your right about regular soldiers needing a 10.30 or below once trained.regular infantry to pass out of basic training need a 10.30 or below.if you fail 3 times they get rid of you.a mate of mine was discharged for being unfit for miltary service because he couldnt pass run time.you also have to pass cft which for infantry is 25kg 8 mile loaded march in 1 hour 50 mins.the regular army has the easy tests,royalmarines and paras are elite and a cut above everyone else.so need for speed do you think youve got what it takes to be royal marine or a para?look up their tests before you chat shit about stuff you obviously know nothing about.
  • Yes, Scriv, If I was to be put through the royal marine or para tests tomorrow morning I'm pretty damn sure I'd have what it takes.

As for your assertion that I "chat shit about stuff you obviously know nothing about." All I said was that running a mile and a half in 10 and a half minutes is easy... and I know a lot about that! 

• your all talk 

you haven't got what it takes 

• No comment on army entry tests.

But this "article" is just advertorial puff for BMF isn't it?

And like lots of other fitness brands, there's a fair amount of BS bundled into what some of their instructors say.

The bit about cardio training Silas has pointed out is funny. I'm not sure why I would want "a glowing face and a darkening mood". Though if I were into paying to be shouted at, BMF would certainly be a budget option. image

• Running a PFT in 1030 is a BASIC test. If it takes you that long you should be embarrassed.  However there are a few exceptions, bug rugby players, muscley guys that are bigger and better at moving with weight will not be as quick.  This is a BASIC test that your average fat knacker wouldn't pass and it is simply to keep them out.  Being 'Army fit' is more about being an all rounder and lets face it, like any other job there are a few lazy ones that manage to hide in the shadows but don't think for a second that running a 1030 PFT is easy for your average FAT knacker nor does it make you an elite fighting force. BASIC test and it is also one of many that include other types of fitness, muscle endurance and skill such as shooting.  We are on the "runners world" forum, clearly there isn't many of you that would find this difficult.  
  • 10:30 for males under 30.  I don't know where that 14min figure is from!? Maybe for 'fat girls over 50', I really don't know.
  • scriv184 wrote (see)
    try being a royal marine commando and yomping 30 miles over harsh dartmoor terrain with 25kg  on your back in 8 hours or doing the other commando test when physical knackered.being in the army is more about fighting with and carry heavy loads of kit than being a little racing snakes.most runners with a tiny frame would find that difficult.but like ive been trying to say when i joined the army before basic to get in to the paras i needed a 9.18 1.5 mile time but i missed out by 10 seconds so didnt get it.i think your right about regular soldiers needing a 10.30 or below once trained.regular infantry to pass out of basic training need a 10.30 or below.if you fail 3 times they get rid of you.a mate of mine was discharged for being unfit for miltary service because he couldnt pass run time.you also have to pass cft which for infantry is 25kg 8 mile loaded march in 1 hour 50 mins.the regular army has the easy tests,royalmarines and paras are elite and a cut above everyone else.so need for speed do you think youve got what it takes to be royal marine or a para?look up their tests before you chat shit about stuff you obviously know nothing about.
    Really ! May I suggest you go and google them figures again.
  • The 1.5 mile test is the Basic Fitness Test. and the same basic standard is expected of all arms although an allowance is made for age.  Over 40 you probaby just breathe on a mirror, No BFT; no pay.

Occasionally the BFT may be used to screen applicants so, for example, the All Ams Para Course has a sub 9:30 standard.

A test for soldiers rather than REMFs is the Combat Fitness Test: 8 miles carrying 35 lb pack plus weapon in a time between 1hr 55 mins & 2 hrs. Completed as a squad

Should you feel you are up to the challenge these are the basic entry standards for an aspirant Officer.

Beep Test : Male - level 10.2; Female - level 8.1

Sit-ups: 50 in 2 mins

Press up: 44 in 2 mins (M); 21 in 2 mins (F)

Remember, all of  these are the minimum. Most infantryman in my old Coy, for example, would have been sub 9:30  for the BFT. Life as an infantryman is very hard if you are only achieving the mimimum. faugh a ballagh!.

• "the regular army has the easy tests,royalmarines and paras are elite and a cut above everyone else" 

So who is talking shit now! Paras and RM are great but not cut from a different cloth than Regular Inf.

• to enter the paras you need a sub 9.40 1.5 mile run but you jog the route first so is realy three miles image all this straight after best effort push ups and sit ups!! it's why they are the best not sure on other regiments