Most overrated book?

I'd like to nominate "Birdsong" (just couldn't care about the characters) and anything by Hilary Mantel.

Comments

• +1 with Dano

and anything by Dan Brown
  • Where the Wild Things Are

• +! to Dan Brown.

Harry Potter - not that I've actually read any. Just can't believe the hype.

Emma and Wuthering Heights. Overhyped to the maximum by my English Lit teacher.
  • Would have to agree about Birdsong; liked the war bits, but otherwise it was dull and self-indulgent.

Was completely un-moved by The Kite Runner too...

• Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

The first of that series of books by the Swedish bloke - Girl with the somethingorother

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Ulysses.
    Well not so much overrated, just unreadable.
  • Anything by Jane Austen .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! 

Persevere with the Milleneum trilogy Parky, first 100 pages of the first is confusing and dull, the rest is excellent!

• Ohh! I love Jane Austen.

Overrated: anything by Dickens.  Especially the stupid comedy names he gives people.

• Stangely enough, Dickens was my second choice MF.

Both make a good basis for a telly series though.

• The Da Vinci Code - WTF???  It's a very average book so why did everyone rave about it?  At least in his subsequent books Dan Brown managed to lift his writing from average to terrible.

Millenium Trilogy - Good books but not at all great.  I've no idea why everyone thought they were so good.

Dano, the Bible is actually a number of books.  Is there a particular one you think is over-rated?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I recently read Breda by Paulo Coelho.

I'd not read any hype about it (I think it's been around a while), but it was, apparently, an international bestseller.

It was, in fact, really rather dull.

• M.ister W wrote (see)
    Dano, the Bible is actually a number of books.  Is there a particular one you think is over-rated?
    As far as I am concerned, it comes in a singular book form, ergo, its one book.
  • You clearly haven't read it then image
  • I've read enough of it to make a snap judgement on it image
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Had to read that recently for my book club. I didn't finish it though (only one of the group did). Extreme tedium.

I loved Kiterunner. 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Little Ninja wrote (see)
    +! to Dan Brown.

Harry Potter - not that I've actually read any. Just can't believe the hype.

Emma and Wuthering Heights. Overhyped to the maximum by my English Lit teacher.

I love HP!!! I was determined to dislike it because I didn't believe the hype, but now I'm hooked image

Dan Brown - urgh. What a bad, bad writer. Terrible writing style, ridiculous plots and absurd characters.

Twilight. I just don't get the appeal. I've tried to read it, but the hyperbole of it all was just nauseating image

• Emma. She has to be the most irritating character in literary history. Total bimbo. I actually find myself getting angry at the thought of her....clearly I have issues!

Also I agree on Wuthering Heights - I just don't get it. I know the point is that all the characters are to a degree unlikeable but I just can't bring myself to be remotely interested in any of them.

Da Vinci Code is utter drivel and generally appalling in every way.

Harry Potter is wonderful.
  • danowat wrote (see)
    I've read enough of it to make a snap judgement on it image

The Blind Assassin - apparently it won a bunch of awards but it's rubbish.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I agree, M.ister W - another one that left me cold.

I've been put off the "the Girl Who....." books, by all the hype.  Having read the blurb on one, I just didn't fancy it.  Should I be more open-minded and give it a try?

• danowat wrote (see)

The bible.

End of thread.

+ 1

You beat me too it image

• Ooh-ooh I just remembered, I read about 5/6ths of a book called Labyrinth by Kate Mosse when I was in a guesthouse in India.

The story was really gripping but unfortunately the style of writing was rubbish.  I stayed hooked because I wanted to find out what happened to all the characters but unfortunately the guesthouse wouldn't let me swap my books for it and I had to leave it behind.

Later in the Guardian I read that Kate Mosse was judging a prestigious book prize and thought WTF.  Her writing skills are hardly up to scratch, although if the story was hers, her imagination obviously is.

• Wilkie wrote (see)

I've been put off the "the Girl Who....." books, by all the hype.  Having read the blurb on one, I just didn't fancy it.  Should I be more open-minded and give it a try?

I started reading the first one but got fed up with all the family tree stuff.  TP suggested I should've persisted, but I was on holiday and couldn't take the book home with me.  (As above!)
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Completely off topic, but I find the names of Mills and Boon books hilarious:

My favourite - Forbidden, or For Bedding?

http://www.msn2.me/msn/data/thumbnails/45/Hysterically%20Laughing.gif

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

When I first heard people talking about the Da Vinci Code I thought it was some academic work of ground breaking research into the foundations of Christian belief.  So then someone bought me it as a Christmas present and it turned out to be a trashy, badly written novel with ridiculous characters.  I still read the sequels that came with it though!  image

At risk of becoming the subject of a burning effigy I'd like to add the Quran to the list of overrated (in the strongest sense possible) books along with the Bible.

• It won't be the best book you've ever read Wilkie but once I got over the first dull bit I did find it good for the type of book it is.  Second one, I liked as well.  Third one I'm about 3/4 way through but it's left somewhere else and I can't reposess it for a week!

Labyrinth, I couldn't get into.

There's an article on R2 at the moment about war poetry ... now I never ever get bored reading poetry.  If I have to pick one book to take anywhere it's usally an book of poems.

• Wilks - P's persuaded me that I should give the "Girl Who.." trilogy a go......and I will when I finish Cormack McCarthy's "The Road"

for me to read anything but Sci-Fi is a major step forward - and there's only one sf book I have never finished as it was dull - "A Canticle for Leibowitz". supposed to be a classic but it bored me daft

• I hope you aren't as dissapointed with the ending of The Road as both me, and my missus were!.

I am about 75% of the way through Swan song, love SF.

• I read the first 100 pages of The Da Vinci Code while I was waiting for someone and found it similar to Labyrinth in that it was gripping but the writing was terrible.

I wrote some essays on Scottish War Poetry for an evening class.  I shed many tears poring over some of the beautiful but deeply sad writing. image

• Emma is absolutely dreadful. 

Hotel du Lac I quite enjoyed.

Thomas Hardy should have been banned from ever putting pen to paper.