Fundraising Ideas

Hello!!!

didnt get a ballot place but had told all and sundry that i would run it whatever it took so applied to every charity and i was lucky to get a place with a charity called PhabKids i say lucky because there are no fees to pay up front and they asked for a fairly small amount of money to be raised compared to other charities.

i need ideas. so far i have set up a justgiving page and i have buckets round work but i dont know about anyone else but its pretty stressful knowing that if i dont get this money i cant run!

Comments

• Bake some yummie cakes and sell them at work.  My friend did it and it worked very well.  Good luck with your efforts!image

• ohh that sounds a fab idea im sure the girls in the office will be well up for making me some cakes to sell

thanx x

• It's you who's supposed to be making them and selling!  Lolimage Love it.  You're not only going to make your friends make them for you but then get them to buy them as well.  The best fundraising idea I've heard!image

• @Muppley - how many people are in the office? If the girls bake them they won't buy them!
  • 6girls in the office - they may buy the other girls cakes and then the company employs 60ish other people in the factory and packing departsments
  • That's genius.

Why not ask your charity for ideas too ? They should know what's worked in the past.
  • ha well you know you dont get unless you ask and i am still in the betty crocker school of baking adding egg and water is pretty much all i can do!

yeah great idea cougie will check their website

• Are you any good at cooking?  Could do a 'come dine with me' evening.  Invite your friends, cook for them and let them pay what they think it was worth...
  • nope it would be a takeaway or a pot noodle! could get others to organise it tho and just turn up on their nights!!!
  • Considering the fact that you have no interest in the charity other than it was randomly the one that offered you a place, why bother? You could just enter another marathon and save all the hassle...........

Or am I missing something? image
  • Come on PRF - she is putting a lot of effort into the fund raising though.

Mainly by hoping that others will do the cooking and organising and paying for each others cakes...
  • Bonus ball sweep stake- everyone pays a quid chooses a bonus ball number whoever is correct gets 20quid prize you get 29 lovely pounds to your charity pot!!  Worked really well in my office last year and then did pne for my family and friends!!!
  •  Muppley wrote (see)

i need ideas. so far i have set up a justgiving page

My idea would be to shut your just giving page down and use another service as they will increase the amount of money which reaches the charity. Just giving are a profit making business who charge charitys a monthly fee to use their service. They also charge for processing gift aid.

There are other services which do not do this which means the cause you are raising money for gets more of it. virginmoneygiving.com is one such example

A good comparison of such services in the UK can be found at the following URL
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/about-us/how-we-compare.jsp

• fair comments PRF and Cougie but yeah at the end of the day i havent done no more or no less than anyone else that really really wants to run london and surely does it really matter if i do not have a heartfelt reson to run for particular charities just the fact that i can raise nearly 2grand for them is good enough? charities will not know every single runner personally by name either at least they get their money

and seriously i can not bake cakes but i will put every effort into selling them

• thank squeakz but some money has already been taken and put in their account and some money is still pledged on that site
  • Muppley wrote (see)

at the end of the day i havent done no more or no less than anyone else that really really wants to run london and surely does it really matter if i do not have a heartfelt reson to run for particular charities just the fact that i can raise nearly 2grand for them is good enough?

I agree.  At the end of the day it's a win win situation for you and for the charity.  All the best.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Mon77 wrote (see)

Muppley wrote (see)

at the end of the day i havent done no more or no less than anyone else that really really wants to run london and surely does it really matter if i do not have a heartfelt reson to run for particular charities just the fact that i can raise nearly 2grand for them is good enough?

I agree.  At the end of the day it's a win win situation for you and for the charity.  All the best.

And for those people who are paying for your place?!?

• The people who are paying for my place do it because they want to support me as well as the charity.  I seriously can't see what the crime is in that... 
  • I can't see the harm in london - your costs are a small part of the money raised by you, and without your efforts the charity wouldn't have it.

It gets a bit trickier with say the NY marathon charity places - where some charities pay for everything in exchange for their sponsorship. Is it clear to people donating that you get all of that in return ?
  • oh seriously runners want to run charities want the money i just want some fundraising ideas not to get this thread into a debate like every other thread!!!!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Its not that its a crime (I've done the charity route myself), its more that it seemed a bit odd to really want to run London and then not be bothered to think of you own fundraising ideas...or in fact bake some cakes...so basically OP is relaying on others to fund their place and others to help that funding - maybe they want someone else to run it too?? image

• Muppley wrote (see)

............. but its pretty stressful knowing that if i dont get this money i cant run!

You started the thread with a post that included this comment.

Its a fair question to ask why you're bothering.

You're getting stressed about prising money out of people who have got little or no interest in this charity. You also have little interest in this charity.

Get training and get a GFA place...they are pretty soft now after all (unless you're a 59 year old bloke of course!image)

• Curly45 wrote (see)

Its not that its a crime (I've done the charity route myself), its more that it seemed a bit odd to really want to run London and then not be bothered to think of you own fundraising ideas...or in fact bake some cakes...so basically OP is relaying on others to fund their place and others to help that funding - maybe they want someone else to run it too?? image

i was asking for ideas! and then pointed out i can not cook to save my life but the girls i work with can and would bake some cakes for me to sell which was an "idea"! i have raised money so far off my own back and seriously im more than happy to run my own run thanx!

Muppley wrote (see)

............. but its pretty stressful knowing that if i dont get this money i cant run!

You started the thread with a post that included this comment.

Its a fair question to ask why you're bothering.

You're getting stressed about prising money out of people who have got little or no interest in this charity. You also have little interest in this charity.

Get training and get a GFA place...they are pretty soft now after all (unless you're a 59 year old bloke of course!image)

what i meant by that was not only had i got to focus on training for a marathon but also to raise money for a charity. im pretty sure the thousands of other golden bond runners arent heart bonded to their charity either

and to be fair over the last 4days that i have been with the charity and for the next 6months aswell its not like i wont get attached to the charity

• I don't see why people are so set on the VLM. It must be dreadful to be in if you want to go for a decent time - a 26 mile-long queue.

Find a better even to run in, such as The Loch Ness Marathon - that's an endurance event in comparison to the VLM fun run.
  • For me i wanted to be able to say i run a marathon and the only one that everyone seems to talk about is London after that i have a PB to beat and therefore go for a less populated one next time!
  • Muppley wrote (see)
    For me i wanted to be able to say i run a marathon and the only one that everyone seems to talk about is London after that i have a PB to beat and therefore go for a less populated one next time!
    You dont get around the forum much then?
  • no not really more about friends family work colleagues my running club whenever marathon is mentioned they all assume london hosts the only 1!!!

• You're confusing me!

So you want to run a marathon, ie run 26.2 miles for the challenge.

You can do that any time you want - simply train so that you are able to run continuously for 26.2 miles and then go and do it on any 26.2 mile stretch of tarmac.

But you actually want to run a specific 26.2 miles from Greenwich to the Mall. Well, again, you can do that anytime you want. Nobody will stop you and its Free!

But I suspect that isnt enough - its not about running 26.2 miles, or even running THE 26.2 miles.

So what is it? Unless you're faster than 3-30 all that joining in the VLM is going to do is to make the task above much harder.

Is it really just so that you can flash a medal around? Well if thats the case I can tell you that it is perfectly possible to get a VLM medal without running a yard, that is if impressing people who dont know any better is what its all about...!image